Sponsored by:

Need advice on 20k service

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM
FJO66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on 20k service

I am looking for advice on servicing for my new to me 08 4S with 30000km/19000miles. I have the full (independent) service history from the PO.
I got the car in the spring and will not drive it in the winter here in snowy Alberta. My question is whether a full health inspection from a dealer service department vs an independent service provider is worth the money/reassurance? I have no experience with Porsche dealers and in Alberta we only have 2 dealers to chose from anyway, both about 100 miles away from me. The car runs fine and I have no issues or suspicion of issues. Drove it about 6000km since the previous service, but would like it done again before putting it to bed for the winter. Overkill? I would appreciate the wisdom of the forum and others in the same unfortunate situation of not being able to drive these machines all year round!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not overkill....when all my cars wen't to sleep for the long Edmonton winter I'd change the oil, inflate the tires and top off the gas tank with fresh gas and add a stabilizer. I'd fire them up and let them run for 25-30 minutes during nicer days when I could pop open the heated garage.

In the spring I'd run them carefully to get all the old gas out of the system, change the oil again fill with fresh fuel and drive as intended. Could be overkill but it made me sleep better at night.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:29 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Why not just put some snow tires on it and DRIVE IT!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:48 PM
peteb3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive my C4S in the Alberta winters and am glad I do
It's a car
Meant to be driven
Old 09-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peteb3
I drive my C4S in the Alberta winters and am glad I do
It's a car
Meant to be driven
LOL...no cars are meant to be driven on some Edmonton mornings.

2-3 feet of fresh snow and a brisk -40. Never really saw much point in thrashing sports cars under conditions where a 4x4 truck is struggling to get down the road. On those mornings it's snow plowing not driving anyway. In Calgary, sure...I used to drive a Cobra all year round when I only had one vehicle. In retrospect it totally wasn't worth it. Taking runs at hills, sand bags, constantly evaluating if the front end will clear the ice ruts on a side street. Just not worth the hassle.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:44 PM
FJO66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I got a set of winters, unused from the PO! I will take it out on good days, but as you Alberta boys know, they litter the highways with little pebbles that eat paint. Do you have any recommendations where to service my Porsche in Alberta?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FJO66
Hey, I got a set of winters, unused from the PO! I will take it out on good days, but as you Alberta boys know, they litter the highways with little pebbles that eat paint. Do you have any recommendations where to service my Porsche in Alberta?
Yes. DIY. The best service by far.
Looks like you are in RD. Drop me a PM.
In C town Alpine and Riegel. Know them both very well.
Work with them on weekly basis.
There is A LOT that can be done DIY though.

The pebbles eat your glass too.

Cheers,
Luke

Quick Reply: Need advice on 20k service