Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$230 oil change...and i supplied the oil...?...!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
For ones who do oil changes themselves, where do you dump the oil?
Any parts store or service shop will take it for free.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:49 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex, I asked that question a couple of weeks ago. Places like autozone will take the oil and get rid of it for you. Not sure if there is a charge, probably is. At least that is what I was told.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex 911
Does the CPO warranty require you to do the oil change at the dealer?
No, CPO does not require for oil changes at dealer only.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
namronorman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
Alex, I asked that question a couple of weeks ago. Places like autozone will take the oil and get rid of it for you. Not sure if there is a charge, probably is. At least that is what I was told.
The AutoZone near me takes my oil for free.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I called the dealership for my first service and got some quotes, by the time they where done quoting me it was over 2k. Including changing the plugs due to age on a car with less then 9k miles. I purchased the car with 6,500 and in that time the local dealership had done 6 oil changes, 2 brake flushes and some other assorted service.

I found a highly rated independent near me that has over 30 years experience with Porsches. It's not a fancy shop. He often jokes about getting a coffee bar installed for his customers. The mechanic himself though is a wealth of knowledge. I ended up paying him about 400 dollars and he spent almost the entire day on the car:

- Oil and filter change(He slightly under filled and gave me a reason that I can't recall and had me come back in a few days for a slight top off)
- Install gundo mufflers
- Once over on entire car with 2 page written report on state of all major components(he does this for any car he sees for the first time and it's a no charge item)
- 2 short test drives as he said there is a passenger side bushing that commonly goes in these cars and he was listening for it.

Best part of the experience, I know a hell of a lot more about the state of my car. Two days after it was brought in I got a hand written thank you card in the mail for letting him work on my car. Guys like him are the reason I find the dealership experience over priced and tacky. He did more work for half the money a dealership would take to accomplish less. I also really appreciate that he's from a generation that doesn't solely rely on a computer diagnostic.

Last edited by Ezkill; 09-30-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I do it myself for about $110.
Oil bought locally, filters and washers from Pelican.
It's actually about 30 minutes and my local dump/recycle center takes tho old oil for free.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
I do it myself for about $110.
Oil bought locally, filters and washers from Pelican.
It's actually about 30 minutes and my local dump/recycle center takes tho old oil for free.
My local indy does it for $110, it' $120 but they always add a $10 coupon. It's their way of making you feel like you have a deal. They used the same oil and filter as the dealer. They show it to you before they do it. It's about $200 at my local dealer and $160 out the door with PCA club discount.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Had my oil changed today at the dealership. I supplied 8 quarts of Mobil 5W50. Paid $192.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill
Yea I called the dealership for my first service and got some quotes, by the time they where done quoting me it was over 2k. Including changing the plugs due to age on a car with less then 9k miles. I purchased the car with 6,500 and in that time the local dealership had done 6 oil changes, 2 brake flushes and some other assorted service.

I found a highly rated independent near me that has over 30 years experience with Porsches. It's not a fancy shop. He often jokes about getting a coffee bar installed for his customers. The mechanic himself though is a wealth of knowledge. I ended up paying him about 400 dollars and he spent almost the entire day on the car:

- Oil and filter change(He slightly under filled and gave me a reason that I can't recall and had me come back in a few days for a slight top off)
- Install gundo mufflers
- Once over on entire car with 2 page written report on state of all major components(he does this for any car he sees for the first time and it's a no charge item)
- 2 short test drives as he said there is a passenger side bushing that commonly goes in these cars and he was listening for it.

Best part of the experience, I know a hell of a lot more about the state of my car. Two days after it was brought in I got a hand written thank you card in the mail for letting him work on my car. Guys like him are the reason I find the dealership experience over priced and tacky. He did more work for half the money a dealership would take to accomplish less. I also really appreciate that he's from a generation that doesn't solely rely on a computer diagnostic.
With that sort of praise you ought to share the name - unless, well, you don't want to.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Alex, Canadian Tire takes the oil for free. Just ask and they'll tell you where to drop it off (usually behind the store; you'll likely see containers sitting there that have been dropped off by others). I save transparent containers (e.g., from windshield washer fluid) because it is easy to see the level when filling them and then label them "oil" with a sharpie and leave them at the drop off location. Easy peasy.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 193 Posts

"Stealership"
Old 09-30-2014, 11:35 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by cairo94507
Takes about 10 minutes to change the oil on our cars. Easiest oil changes I have ever done. I would go back and speak with the Service Manager and remind them you supplied the oil.....
I know from personal experience that it does not take 10 minutes to change the oil and filter in our cars. I had the dealer do the last one and, after 10 or 15 minutes had elapsed, there was still oil draining from the engine. Granted, it wasn't flowing out like when the drain plug was first pulled, but there was still a thin stream of oil coming out of the drain plug. My Indie actually overfilled the engine with oil after not allowing it to drain for enough time.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 284 Likes on 169 Posts

Advance Auto takes oil (engine, transmission, differential ... etc) for free. I have a cheap harbor freight 5 gallons container that I fill and take over there. They also take coolant separately.

As for cost. I believe M1 at walmart is around $4-5 a quart so about 40 bucks worth of oil and filter is under 20 from pelican. So $60 to do in parts.

With a lift. Actual physical effort time really isn't much more than 10 minutes. I tend to let mine drain for a couple of hours while I do something else.

$300 for an oil change is insane. Insane I tell ya.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live 10 miles in between 2 Porsche dealerships so oil changes are competitive at $180 out the door. Even then I have learned to change my own. It's about 80-90 bucks in oil and less than an hour in the garage.

Plus it can be relatively fun to get the accomplished feeling
Old 10-01-2014, 01:13 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't pay much more than 150 bucks for an oil change (including oil).

OP do yourself a favor and never return to the dealership for any kind of service. The big money is made in the service department. Get in touch with a good local independent shop with a favorable reputation and you will save a lot of money.

Last edited by Para82; 10-01-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $230 oil change...and i supplied the oil...?...!