Sponsored by:

Well THAT sucked...Rear tire flat

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:38 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well THAT sucked...Rear tire flat

So out with my wife and kid enjoying the C2-Cab on a gorgeous day. Just before we stopped for an early dinner, I notice a thump, thump, thump from the rear driver side. Park and get out and there's a piece of metal about 1/2" wide stuck mid-tread of the tire.

Long story sort, a couple hours later I'm there using the Porsche goop and compressor. I nursed it home after I pulled the metal and patched the tire so I think it'll hold until I can get to the tire shop tomorrow.

ETA.....Anyone use a Dynoflat patch kit! How big of a PIA is it to patch a tire with one of their plugs on the side of a road? Gotta give it to Porsche, the goop wasn't as bad as I had expected and given the tire's holding pressure, (going on 2 hours,) it appears to be working. I'm getting close to needing tire's so I'm likely going to spring for two near rears but hold long-term is that Porsche goop?

Last edited by ATLDiver; 09-21-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

glad to hear you made it home. i've seen that goop in use only twice - both times on the side of the road (i stopped to offer assistance, being the good porsche samaritan i am ) and both times it did not work as both had to call AAA/a tow. maybe they did it wrong but they seemed to be following directions.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDiver
So out with my wife and kid enjoying the C2-Cab on a gorgeous day. Just before we stopped for an early dinner, I notice a thump, thump, thump from the rear driver side. Park and get out and there's a piece of metal about 1/2" wide stuck mid-tread of the tire.

Long story sort, a couple hours later I'm there using the Porsche goop and compressor. I nursed it home after I pulled the metal and patched the tire so I think it'll hold until I can get to the tire shop tomorrow.

ETA.....Anyone use a Dynoflat patch kit! How big of a PIA is it to patch a tire with one of their plugs on the side of a road? Gotta give it to Porsche, the goop wasn't as bad as I had expected and given the tire's holding pressure, (going on 2 hours,) it appears to be working. I'm getting close to needing tire's so I'm likely going to spring for two near rears but hold long-term is that Porsche goop?
I would be surprised the tire held up with the goop in it.

Also, I believe using the goop renders the tire unfixable as the goop now coats the inside walls of the tire and would interfere with a patch that relies upon vulcanization to effect an air tight seal.

Furthermore, if you drove the car with the tire flat this probably abraded the soft rubber layer of the inner walls -- it is this layer of rubber that seals the air inside the tire -- and if so this renders the tire unrepairable.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I would be surprised the tire held up with the goop in it.

Also, I believe using the goop renders the tire unfixable as the goop now coats the inside walls of the tire and would interfere with a patch that relies upon vulcanization to effect an air tight seal.

Furthermore, if you drove the car with the tire flat this probably abraded the soft rubber layer of the inner walls -- it is this layer of rubber that seals the air inside the tire -- and if so this renders the tire unrepairable.
Correct. Tire needs replacement, no way around it.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Perk10
Likely both tires require replacement due to tire wear.

Here's what Porsche has to say on tread depth differences between tires on the same axle:

When replacing a tyre on an axle, make sure that the tread depth of the new tyre does not differ from that of the other tyre by more than 30 %!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:09 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Default Yep, good call

Rear tires had *maybe* 1K left on them so that was the plan in a few months but the flat accelerated the issue. Went out this morning, yep flat as a pancake. I inflated to 40 and noticed a slight hiss but when feeling the tire on the inside the sidewall was bulged out so I ended up with a tow any way.

Although waiting at home for the flatbed was a hell of a lot better than the side of the road. Got it down to discount tire for both rears replaced, the fronts still had about 35% left so I opted to leave them until next spring. Once it turns cool I won't be driving much anyway.

So question, does anyone have an experiance with the Dynaplug system? Does it work? Yeah a tow truck is about the only option but I like to have the ability to get somewhere more secure if possible?

Originally Posted by Macster
Likely both tires require replacement due to tire wear.

Here's what Porsche has to say on tread depth differences between tires on the same axle:

When replacing a tyre on an axle, make sure that the tread depth of the new tyre does not differ from that of the other tyre by more than 30 %!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:26 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Never used the Porsche goop. Did pick up a 4 inch nail in my rear tire in the middle of Texas last spring. By luck I was 25 feet from a tire shop when it happened - they plugged it and I managed another 3,000 miles before I replaced the tire. I would replace that tire you have ASAP.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:31 AM
ATLDiver
Racer

Default Yeah, I replaced both rear tires.

I ended up with Bridgstone S-04's as that's what they had in stock. MSS would have been a day to order but I'm liking the S-04's just fine.

Originally Posted by Para82
Never used the Porsche goop. Did pick up a 4 inch nail in my rear tire in the middle of Texas last spring. By luck I was 25 feet from a tire shop when it happened - they plugged it and I managed another 3,000 miles before I replaced the tire. I would replace that tire you have ASAP.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure why others have had issues with the Goop, I got a flat on a track-day in OR, something like 325 miles away from home. It was a large nail in the middle of the tire. I first over-inflated, took the car to a safe place, then followed the instruction, used the goop, air and rotated the tire while applying the goop.

I then drove back 325 miles, with absolutely ZERO drop of pressure, and even yet, drove another 100 miles or so in town over the next few days with again ZERO drop of tire pressure. Then I had it fixed at a tire shop, no need to change tires and it lasted about a year after that repair and even saw a cpl of track days
Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Perk10
Why could the goop coated area in the batch area not have the goop scraped off form the inside to expose rubber to patch/vulcanize to?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Default Way I understand it, the goop pickles the tire in a way

This is true of any similar product or so I'm told. It 'compromises' the tire so you're getting a replacement no matter what. I was due for rears so it's not that big of a deal but I would have rather not gone through the ordeal.

Question now is do I pick up another can of goop or use a Dynaplug for emergency repair?

Originally Posted by Minok
Why could the goop coated area in the batch area not have the goop scraped off form the inside to expose rubber to patch/vulcanize to?

Quick Reply: Well THAT sucked...Rear tire flat