Sponsored by:

Would you repair this tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
SToronto If your in Toronto, 1/2 the roads are missing, the other half are under construction. Looks reparable to me. Get it fixed at your favorite wide tire repair shop. I keep a plugging kit in all my cars for just such an occasion. Air pump, jack, tire wrench, 2x4 to drive the car up onto so the jack will fit. Sure I have CAA, but sometimes I can't wait 2-3 hours for them to come save me. Usually a 20 min job. Be prepared.
was in Toronto until 2 years ago, the alias has stuck. Car is fairly new to me 2 years, don't yet have a fav tire shop for this one. Just put a new set on 2.5 months ago at SimplyTire. I don't have jacks.

Interesting to note, Michelins come with "Promise Plan" where they send a tow to your location and replace with spare or tow you to your Michelin dealer of choice up to 250km at no cost...this is for a flat. Does not apply to OE tires that come with car.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Took it to local Pcar dealer, 10 min drive from me. It was at 15 psi when I went to take it out, pumped up to 40 psi and $96, 1.25 hours later it's fixed. Feels good especially since it was a new tire to start with.

I should've asked how they were fixing it given the options posted above.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:29 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Repair it. Plug/Patch and you'll be fine. I had one much closer to the sidewall plugged and I got a good 3,000 miles out of it (including a lot of triple digit runs). I could of kept going but I wasn't comfortable with a hole so close to the sidewall and the the entire set was only 5 weeks old so it would of been a long run on a plug if I kept it.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Took it to local Pcar dealer, 10 min drive from me. It was at 15 psi when I went to take it out, pumped up to 40 psi and $96, 1.25 hours later it's fixed. Feels good especially since it was a new tire to start with.

You were lucky the PCar dealer fixed the tire. Mine stopped fixing flats a couple of years ago but would send me to another dealer in the group and it would fix the tire. But even this stopped. Other Porsche dealers I encounter now and then also no longer fix flats.

Now I have to take the tire to a tire shop here in town that will still fix my Porsche tire when one picks up a puncture.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto

Wow 96 dollars. That tire shop in Texas charged me 20 bucks.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
You were lucky the PCar dealer fixed the tire. Mine stopped fixing flats a couple of years ago but would send me to another dealer in the group and it would fix the tire. But even this stopped. Other Porsche dealers I encounter now and then also no longer fix flats. Now I have to take the tire to a tire shop here in town that will still fix my Porsche tire when one picks up a puncture.
they were sure to specify that Porsche doesn't recommend repairing flats.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
Wow 96 dollars. That tire shop in Texas charged me 20 bucks.
I bet could have gotten it done slightly cheaper elsewhere, but I was able to simply stop by at moments notice and I have a level of trust in workmanship there, it's also 10 min from home.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:58 PM
slick911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had rear driver plugged yesterday out of desperation. Can it be redone to patch and plug from inside? I know plugging is ok for normal street driving but I do lots of canyons so looking for a more secure fix.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by slick911
Just had rear driver plugged yesterday out of desperation. Can it be redone to patch and plug from inside? I know plugging is ok for normal street driving but I do lots of canyons so looking for a more secure fix.
It doesn't have to be completely redone, you just have to add the inside patch. The part of the plug sticking into the inside area of the tire should be cut off flush with the inside surface then a patch applied over that. You are half way there... but that was the easy half. Tire Rack has a good explanation here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77
Old 09-28-2014, 02:48 AM
slick911
5th Gear

Originally Posted by StormRune
It doesn't have to be completely redone, you just have to add the inside patch. The part of the plug sticking into the inside area of the tire should be cut off flush with the inside surface then a patch applied over that. You are half way there... but that was the easy half. Tire Rack has a good explanation here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77
Thanks. Very helpful. I have a DE coming up so definitely will add the inside patch as minimum. I prefer the plug/patch single piece combo. It appears to be more secure because of the flange. Will see if the tire shop will swap it.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:30 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People are paranoid about plugs and patch. It works very well and the plug alone isn't going anywhere after the glue and expanding plug is inserted. The tire also fuses with the plug after a few drives. Good to have patch also as extra insurance but the plug alone is quite sufficient too.

Even if the repair does fail, it would be no different than hitting a nail on the road. The car will hold up as low profile tires have very stiff sidewalls (especially pzero, not so much michelin).
Old 09-28-2014, 02:55 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djantlive
People are paranoid about plugs and patch. It works very well and the plug alone isn't going anywhere after the glue and expanding plug is inserted. The tire also fuses with the plug after a few drives. Good to have patch also as extra insurance but the plug alone is quite sufficient too.

Even if the repair does fail, it would be no different than hitting a nail on the road. The car will hold up as low profile tires have very stiff sidewalls (especially pzero, not so much michelin).
Exactly, it's amazing/amusing whichever word you wanna use, how people make such a big deal over a small puncture. If it's nowhere near the sidewall, Plug it and it's all good to go, patch it for added insurance. Unless you track the tires, or drive them at super high speeds, nothing bad is going to happen. If it was a puncture on a tire of a Honda or Toyota, I guess there wouldn't be any discussion.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

repair 20$.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:51 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

bingo!

Originally Posted by djantlive

Quick Reply: Would you repair this tire?