Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saaboteur's 06 X51 Carrera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I also own one of the few 2006 C4S with X-51 (mine also has the aerokit). You made a great choice as I absolutely love my car, especially how easy it is to maintain from a DIY perspective.

Regarding X-51 and PSE, my sport exhaust is selectable with the "SPORT" button. If I recall correctly, when I push the SPORT button, both it and the PASM button (the one with the shock depicted) illuminate. If I don't want the stiff ride but want to listen to her growl, I just deselect PASM and the PSE stays active. I hope I didn't get the buttons backwards, but it's fairly intuitive.

Sean
Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

That's generally what I've been doing too, but it seems to me that the exhaust note doesn't change. Maybe I need to listen more carefully.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Great looking car with X-51... You did good
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Lovely car and pics.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniff

Regarding X-51 and PSE, my sport exhaust is selectable with the "SPORT" button. If I recall correctly, when I push the SPORT button, both it and the PASM button (the one with the shock depicted) illuminate. If I don't want the stiff ride but want to listen to her growl, I just deselect PASM and the PSE stays active. I hope I didn't get the buttons backwards, but it's fairly intuitive.

Sean
This is how all the PSE equipped 997.1 that also have PASM work.

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
That's generally what I've been doing too, but it seems to me that the exhaust note doesn't change. Maybe I need to listen more carefully.

Sounds like PO has unplugged the electrical connector from the PSE control valve.

Check this picture. Found it here on another thread. The control valve is the gray box with the two vacuum lines and orange electrical connector. Some owners pull the elect connector and PSE stays in loud mode. check under your hood.

While you're there take a pic of your X51 kitted engine and give us a looksy.

Congrats on finding a beautiful specimen of the 997 !
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2014, 02:19 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

We have an X 51 in common. My car has Aero Kit and a PSE button. Also have short shift. No TPMS. Great car. Drive it and enjoy. Drive it into a dealer. They will help. X 51 is a rarity and dealers love to look at your air box! This option requires a built to order car in the USA. Almost $17k for X 51 alone. It is like an M Powerkit on BMW only no M markings. Very cool.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:20 AM
OWLY
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome colour...congratulations!

What's your plan with the holes in the front bumper?
Old 09-19-2014, 03:40 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Well, I had a nose around the engine bay and couldn't find that connector. I will have another look again in daylight though.

As for the bumper holes - bumperplugs.com! The hood actually has a few small chips, from road rash. Eventually, to be basically back to perfect, the hood and front bumper could be repainted. At that point, I would have the holes filled in. I pity the jurisdictions that require front plates, ruins the lines of a car like the 997.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Congratulations and welcome - pretty car. I really enjoyed the story - you could write for one of the auto publication

FYI, you don't need to give up memory seat functions with the sport seats. Get the Adaptive Sport Seat Plus versions and they're fully electric including 2 switches on the front corner to adjust the upp r and lower side bolsters. I retrofitted them into my RUF C2S - simply plug and play (disconnect the battery when doing the swap to avoid an airbag error code when done).
Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
You bet. I just wanted to clarify to the OP how the set-up works on my X-51. It appears Porsche made no alteration to this function with the powerkit option.

Saaboteur -- I definitely can tell a difference when my PSE is selected and when it isn't (even with the windows closed). It's not something I have to listen for closely. Those X-51 headers are great which is why I will never make any mods to my exhaust.

Sean
Old 09-19-2014, 09:44 AM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!!!

Sweet car. I saw that car at wiessach, so my apologies if a little of my drool is still on it... Cool pics, I def had the same feeling when I got my 996tt, couldn't sleep.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Sounds like PO has unplugged the electrical connector from the PSE control valve.

Check this picture. Found it here on another thread. The control valve is the gray box with the two vacuum lines and orange electrical connector. Some owners pull the elect connector and PSE stays in loud mode. check under your hood.

While you're there take a pic of your X51 kitted engine and give us a looksy.

Congrats on finding a beautiful specimen of the 997 !
Mine is essentially in the same place as in the other photo. It's the valve with the braided stainless line coming from it (OEM is a black hose).

The car will actually drive better with PSE functioning the way the factory intended. Even in Sport mode, the computer will sometimes close the valve and then reopen it. It does this to optimize the exhaust setup - at low RPMs like when leaving a stop, the engine needs some backpressure from the exhaust to build torque then as the RPMS increase where you want more efficient breathing and more HP, it will open the valve. Having it manually defeated (unplugged) where it's in Sport mode all the time defeats some of the designed functioinality. Plus, it's nice to be able to manually put it back in quiet mode, like when driving next to a police officer or leaving your neighborhood early in the morning for a flight.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 AM
OWLY
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I had a nose around the engine bay and couldn't find that connector. I will have another look again in daylight though.

As for the bumper holes - bumperplugs.com! The hood actually has a few small chips, from road rash. Eventually, to be basically back to perfect, the hood and front bumper could be repainted. At that point, I would have the holes filled in. I pity the jurisdictions that require front plates, ruins the lines of a car like the 997.

Might want to consider having the holes "plastic welded"...they did one at Norden/Porsche Centre on a similar colour and it looked great.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

. I pity the jurisdictions that require front plates, ruins the lines of a car like the 997.
The best option for those that need to run a front plate is the Rennline mount that uses the front tow hole.

http://www.rennline.com/Screw-in-Lic...info/E107.108/

Of course this has to be done initially before the holes are drilled into the front bumper.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OWLY
Might want to consider having the holes "plastic welded"...they did one at Norden/Porsche Centre on a similar colour and it looked great.
Thanks, I'll check into that.

Here are some photos of the engine bay. I need to get more familiar with everything there. For the life of me, I cannot locate any electrical connector as seen in the other photos posted.

Quick Reply: Saaboteur's 06 X51 Carrera 4S