997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Thanks Petz, where are the two fuses? I pulled one 10amp fuse out last week. The pics on the fuse sheet don't even say "radio" or "pcm" so kinda guessing. I have an appointment on Tuesday at the dealer to look at it but want to definately try the fuse before that visit.

Waiting on a new micro switch. I think I took everything I could off my door. Well now I know what's in there. The micro switch looks ok. The door lock switch looks fine too. The window regulators are not broken or chipped either. The only thing that was broken was the door lock pivot. The spring had broken the plastic catch off so I ordered a new one.

Micro switch looks ok to me and my untrained eye.

Here you can see where this plastic piece broke off form the door pivot piece. This piece allows tension on the spring. So it your door pull is loose this is probably why.

I broke this clip trying to get it off.
I think it's 8 & 10 or 9&10 or something like that. I'm sure a Google search will pinpoint it for you.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:09 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks. Quick question. If I put an after market head unit in, how will I check my oil level? I think that's part of the PCM. I actually like the readout below the tach. When I drove to Porsche Parade last year I really liked the Navigation arrows. Especially going down the Oregon Trail
Old 05-27-2018, 11:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Quick question. If I put an after market head unit in, how will I check my oil level? I think that's part of the PCM. I actually like the readout below the tach. When I drove to Porsche Parade last year I really liked the Navigation arrows. Especially going down the Oregon Trail
The oil level check will work, but you will lose the radio and nav readouts under the tach. Also, with an S with Bose, the head unit swap isn't as simple since the PCM communicates to the Bose SMP via fiber optics.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:24 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I would like to keep the PCM and get the transit blu for streaming and bluetooth. Hopefully my PCM still has some life left in it. I have been seeing lots of Android Head units and they look pretty good. I think car stereo is headed the way of the Android and Apple Play where the car screen is nothing more than a display.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I think this is a fairly common failure mode where it gets stuck in this boot loop. If pulling the 2 PCM fuses and reinstalling doesn't allow it to boot right, then it probably has to be sent to Becker for repair, a replacement installed, or going with an aftermarket head unit.
So I finally got my door back together tonight. Now it the window works the way it should. It lowers when I pull the handle and raises when I close the door. It was basically the door latch. The door lock pivot has changed. The latest one will not fit your 997.1. If you can get the old piece or do what I did. I simply took the spring off my new one and put it on ny old one. This helped me get the door hooked up. I will return my micro switch as i didn't need it.

Bad news is that a metal clamp fell on my car and caused a major paint event. Will have to get the front bumper painted or a small area of it. I think my car has gotten more paint damage in my garage than sitting outside in my driveway.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:09 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So I went to my paint guy yesterday and he removed the scratch left on the car by the clamp that fell on the bumper. The bumper is another story. Does anyone have any idea if this is a scratch that will require a whole new bumper painting? I just got this bumper painted last year. Here are some picks. Maybe just painting or correcting this area? The paint guy put some blue paint on it for the time being. I really hope it can be corrected. Painter said that since the car is Midnight Blue Metallic, the area may not match well plus he said he doesn't know what type of clear was used and his clear is much better and will be much brighter color so he would have to paint the whole bumper. I probably will be ok with just a patch fix. This isn't my concourse vehicle.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:02 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I think it's 8 & 10 or 9&10 or something like that. I'm sure a Google search will pinpoint it for you.
pulled number 9 and 10 fuse. Now car won't start. Turn the key and here the clicking sound like a dead battery. Car ran great just this morning. Battery is new high amp battery. Will removing fuses cause such a thing? I changed a fuse just a few weeks ago and no problems.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

pulled number 9 and 10 fuse. Now car won't start. Turn the key and here the clicking sound like a dead battery. Car ran great just this morning. Battery is new high amp battery. Will removing fuses cause such a thing? I changed a fuse just a few weeks ago and no problems.
Did you pull them to cut the power, then put them back in or try to start the car with them still removed?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:15 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

No, the battery was not pulled from the car initially. I went to Walmart and they checked the battery. They said it was at 200 amps when it needed to be at 700 when it should be at 795 amps. Well they charged the battery and i put it back in the car. Car started right up. However I now have the airbag light on.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:38 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Dealer ran the computer on the radio Monday. Said and I quote, " something is wrong inside the radio" Well he suggested sending it to Becker. He said the fuse and everything in the rear of the radio was fine. He said if I tap on the side of the radio it may come on. Well as I was driving away, I tapped on the side of the radio. It finally came on. It's intermittent and I guess I need a new PCM.

Also I talked to my paint guy and he said that to fix the two gauges in my bumper, the whole bumper would need to be painted and maybe the hood and fenders so they all look the same. Wow!. So if anyone has a paint wizard that can fix this problem let me know.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:34 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So, I got my new (used from a member) PCM 2.1 head unit last week. Now my old unit that was not working is working more often. I was surprised the dealer couldn't give me a more definitive diagnosis other than send it to Becker (Becker wanted over 650.00 to diagnose and repair). I hit the main and trip buttons to check was was on the optical network and saw this:

What does this danger sign mean? The music, CD and radio play normally.

If I a not mistaken the cd name and tracks used to come up. This is a CD playing in the single cd tray. I have a 6 disc changer too.

Does this seem like something is not connected or more something inside the radio is loose? I am starting to think my radio needed repairing instead of replacing but replacing was more than half the repair. Well next week maybe I"ll go to Al and Eds in Marina Del Rey or Glistening Perfection in Costa Mesa and have them take a look at the unit(s).
Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I installed my replacement unit this morning and it works without fail (at least for now. It is a used unit from a members same car). I am waiting to get the Lapower/MrVolt unit to add the bluetooth before I button everything up. My old radio worked intermittently. Even when I was removing it, it suddenly came on. I jiggled the harness to see if there was a wiring issue but no go. Well maybe next time I will get an after market unit. Oh, does anyone know how to remove these two black twist things from my old radio. My new one didn't have all of them. Here is a pic of them.

How can I remove these two clips without breaking them?

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming