What clamps are you talking about?
Old 11-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
What clamps are you talking about?
He's referring to the 8 large clams at the exits of the Intake manifolds. They should be flipped around so you can access them from the rear of the car.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:17 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh, OK I see. Yes I'll turn them around. I hope I don't have to open them up soon but probably will sometime. So the test fit went well. I did bend a connector on the tranny but was able to bend it back without incident. Will have another person helping me to make sure nothing gets binded up during the final install. Seems pretty straight forward. Amazing how tight (or maybe better word is exact) the fitting is. I can't wait.

There is one hose coming from the tiptronic transmission cooler. It goes into a plastic "T" and then into a connector on the tranny. I don't know where the other end goes. Here is a picuture of the hose:

How does this hose connect from the transmission? I think the p/n is 996.106.822.03.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, OK I see. Yes I'll turn them around. I hope I don't have to open them up soon but probably will sometime. So the test fit went well. I did bend a connector on the tranny but was able to bend it back without incident. Will have another person helping me to make sure nothing gets binded up during the final install. Seems pretty straight forward. Amazing how tight (or maybe better word is exact) the fitting is. I can't wait.

There is one hose coming from the tiptronic transmission cooler. It goes into a plastic "T" and then into a connector on the tranny. I don't know where the other end goes. Here is a picuture of the hose:

How does this hose connect from the transmission? I think the p/n is 996.106.822.03.
Hope this helps.
http://www.scuderiacarparts.com/diag...505-20365.html
Old 11-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Rikky001
Racer

The hose you talk is a cooling water hose. Item 33 in the diagram
http://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part...40-128122.html
Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks. This hose is actually attached to the tiptronic transmission on my 2006 C2S. Don't know where the end goes.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:31 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Thanks. This hose is actually attached to the tiptronic transmission on my 2006 C2S. Don't know where the end goes.
Check the pictures here, it shows the fluid lines connected from the transmission to the ATF cooler. The water cooling hose is shown as well.

I replaced my ATF fluid last week but have installed the cover plate already, a picture helps a lot.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...with-pics.html

Here is a video where you can briefly see the routing of the hoses
Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997 S Project Coming

So tomorrow I put the engine and tranny into the car. I have all my parts, hoses and screws and bolts. Here is a video of the test fit. I'll try to videotape the install.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Good luck! Should be no issue although the first time it might be a bit intimidating.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good, yes go ahead and take those wheels off, anything to give you more room as you try to access those connections.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:26 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Ok, got up at about 5:30 a.m. this morning. My buddy came over in his CLS Merc and we began the engine install. First we turned those clamps around to face outside the engine bay. Thanks for this suggestion RL and Sabbotuer. This was a life saving suggestion as I would have never been able to get them off. The axles was probably the most difficult part. My buddy had to connect them as I was just not able to get them lined up. The bolts for the Engine mount and the transmission mount fit perfectly. I think the engine mounts are torqued to about 68 ft lbs.

One question. My car has been on jack-stands for over a month. Will the frame be ok? Do I need to lower it for a bit??

I still want to change the oil, tranny oil, new high temp thermo and maybe change the water pump. So it will spend a bit more time on the jack-stands.

This was a great experience. I now know a lot about our car. It is amazing how it goes together (if you have the correct parts) and how frustrating it can be (if you don't have the correct parts). I would encourage anyone who wants to do major service work to their car and have the time and patience, do it. Get yourself a 1000 lb hydraulic cart and a tranny jack and undue only 8 bolts and your engine is out of the car in an afternoon. You will then see how easy things are to replace. The dealer charges you for the amount of time to "get" to the part and then the 15 or 20 minutes it takes to remove the part and replace it. Yes it may take an afternoon to remove the engine but only 20 minutes to replace the thermostat and the water pump and the spark plugs. Just saying. I am a busy guy. I have over 50 people who work for me and I am responsible for 3 offices so I am busy, but the time I have taken (usually after 10pm ) to put into this project has been quite enjoyable. I still have a long way to go but this forum is helping tremendously. Wolfk, Sabboteur, Petza915, Rikky001 just to name a few and everyone else. Thanks for helping me get this thing into the car. Now comes the hard part, making sure the tuning is perfect. I may go to a professional for this. BBi, BRRacing, Sharkwerks seems like it's worth a drive up north or some local folks. So here is todays efforts. I still need some hoses for the tranny water/heater hose. I still am figuring out how this part goes together. I stopped by Circle Porsche to ask and well I still don't know.

Tranny and Engine connection

Engine is in and cart is gone

Boy this is stuffed in there and tight. I think I need to move the throttle screws down a bit though.

Now on to the connections...
Old 11-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

What a milestone you've accomplished here. CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 11-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Good job buddy! Been following your thread since the beginning!

I don't think you'll have any chassis issues with the car sitting in stands so long. I don't have empirical data for that but I've left multiple cars on stands for months at a time (either as projects or winter storage) and never had an issue. But they say not to leave the wheels on, as then the suspension is at full droop, potentially exposing the shock pistons to the elements and thus corrosion.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:11 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Wow, just got in. I was trying to take the car off the jack stands. Whew it was a bit of a challenge. The car was very high up and I had a hard time getting the right rear down. I finally ended up using the hydraulic cart to get the car down on that wheel. I tried raising the front left, the front right, the rear etc. and couldn't get that rear part of the car up. I put the cart under the wheel and that lifted it directly up. it did compress the springs a bit though. Well I think I am going to get some ramps or a scissor lift.

So the car is on all fours. Now I need to put the hoses and connections together. I'll spend the next couple days doing that. I also think I need to order some more hoses The water/heater hose on the tranny I ordered and put on the tranny but now i think there are about 3 more hoses that go from the water pump or thermo to the tranny. Still not sure of that.

The Cross member was a challenge as the CV joint was in the way and I was thinking I had to remove the CV Joints just to get the bolt on. I think I do have to remove the header to get the bolt on the right side of the top cross member.

So this weekend I will do a oil change, Tranny filter change and plug in some hoses. Hopefully can have a live start on or after Thanksgiving.

I just bought from a 6speed online member Cats, mufflers, and headers. They are in Bothel, CA. So if anyone is near there PM me. I need someone to pick them up and put them on the Greyhound to my office (my office is in the Grayhound station in Socal).

Almost there, can't wait to get the paint job done.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:16 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

This is an impressive thread! Well done dude!

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming