Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Is you car a daily driver?

Do you mind a drone sound at cruise?
it is not my daily driver and I have to be honest I have no idea what the drone sound is. I have read it a few times but again do not have clue. This is my 1st Sports Car and on my other cars I never made any modifications to.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I've owned a few and heard many...I had Tubi and never really liked the tinny raspy sound...plus Tubi is pretty quiet for an after market performance exhaust.

I had Fabspeed and loved the sound. However FVD Brombacher is super top notch with a great sound.

Also check out:
Borla
Akrapovic
Cargraphic
AWE
Old 09-09-2014, 10:27 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis de Funes
it is not my daily driver and I have to be honest I have no idea what the drone sound is. I have read it a few times but again do not have clue. This is my 1st Sports Car and on my other cars I never made any modifications to.
Drone to me is when the exhaust goes from having a nice distinct pulsed sound where you can tell cylinders are firing to a steady hum, typically at a lower frequency. On some cars this steady hum (aka drone) is markedly louder than it should be for steady throttle and speed and loud enough to be somewhat distracting to conversation or in-car audio. Unfortunately is often seems to hit its peak when at a steady cruise in the 65 to 75 mph range in many cars. I've removed two aftermarket exhausts on cars over the years due to a drone I could't bear.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

On your original question, I tried a few different exhaust set-ups on my 997.1 and .2 and my general opinion was that the PSE sound is the best for me. I gather that my tastes are a tad more conservative than many in though. I never had the PSE on my 997.1 but I hear it was even a bit nicer sounding than the .2 version, probably due to the extra suppression for the center muffler on the 997.2. I personally found the Fister mod on my .1 a bit too raw and loud for my tastes... but that also seems to be an unpopular opinion and a lot of people here seem to swear by it.

After a lot of tries with various center pipes and stock vs Fabspeed, I was eventually able to score a PSE exhaust taken off of a GTS for my 997.2 (along with its special tips but without all the electronic switching) and have been very happy with that. If it sounds even better on on 997.1s, I would strongly recommend it. However, it is rare to see them come around on the used market. To me it strikes a good balance between sport sound while not being obnoxious to anyone... and it has zero drone.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Pcarnut711
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed a lot of different exhausts, been a Porsche tech for 12 years. I like the Fabspeed brand. Look, sound, price and fitment is great. They also stand behind there work.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:46 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcarnut711
I have installed a lot of different exhausts, been a Porsche tech for 12 years. I like the Fabspeed brand. Look, sound, price and fitment is great. They also stand behind there work.
Sure they do. If you have enough time on your hands and the patience of a saint (see links below). I had exactly the same experience years ago on a much smaller scale with a set of tips. Welds completely screwed up with one set angled upwards to the point of almost touching the bumper when mounted. Wasted a couple of weeks basically getting the middle finger from FS and just let it go. As someone else said, the managers at FS really have perfected the practice of stepping on a dollar bill to pick up a penny. I will never get near the brand for anything mod related.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nt-thread.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...t-do-i-do.html
Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Drone: The engineering feat is to give the exhaust some bark and bite to it, but at cruising speeds to have the sound waves cancel themselves out, which isn't going to happen by accident. Drone is when the sound waves at most cruising speeds just come out and also fill the cabin with a drone (loud exhaust sound that is continuous).

The company best equipped to make this happen (cancel the drone sound) is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM), which helps explain why Porsche performance exhaust gets good reviews. The manufacturer has an unprecedented amt of hours in their car in terms of development.

Even Borla, a company with pretty good resources, has an exhaust system that drones.

Let's take a look at Fabspeed: Essentially, this is a small shop, with young guys trying to build up their company. How much engineering can they do with every type of car they market an exhaust product for? They have to secure a model to design and build around it. They need to spec out the parts and do some testing. How many Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes and other brands and models do they have to build and test around? Far too many to get into sophisticated sound engineering. Yeah, I am sure they can control sound to some degree, but let's be realistic here.

As an exhaust builder, you apply your good machining, welding, bending and overall manufacturing to make sure your exhaust parts fit all the specs, shapes, sizes, hangers, etc for the dozens and dozens of models and engines. It is unlikely you have the shop, tools, resources and such to do hardcore sound engineering, which would let you come up with wave cancelling approaches that are dialed into every type of car and all the assorted engine and exhaust options stacked together.

Mix in personal tastes and it is exceedingly hard to get feedback that let's you nail down an exhaust system without you hearing it IN PERSON. One person's 'loud' is another person's 'too mild.'

And after falling in love with an exhaust sound, in three months in might turn to hate as your in-cabin experience means you hear drones and other other stuff while everyone behind you hears a nice growl.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:11 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
Out of curiosity, why is Porsche Sport exhaust so expensive to put on a car? Is it better than the aftermarket exhausts?, because the price difference is quite large.
You're paying for the Porsche brand, the engineering and systems testing, no issues with emission testing, a louder and selectable exhaust note but zero if any performance gains. To gain performance most will add a 3rd party 200 cell cats and an improved(longer piped) exhaust manifold. FWIW, I went with FVD for the engineering and emission benefits associated with PSE plus I wanted added performance gains. FVD has a solid reputation for quality exhaust builds(manufactured by M&M in Germany), excellent customer service and technical support, and zero issues with emission testing after ECU tune. They also build for Porsche Motorsport and perform exhaustive testing on the track with Porsche... they even have the source code for the 997 ECU.

When I was researching an upgrade to my stock exhaust it occurred to me that the price of the PSE + 200 cell cats + exhaust manifold = price of a full blown FVD Brombacher exhaust system. http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...ps_4x90mm.html I really liked the idea of securing a complete system from one company who would support me through any issues related to the totality of that critical part of the engine. Subsequently I remapped my ECU with the FVD tune. I've done my fair share of Mods plus associated hours of troubleshooting with my prior M3. This time I had no interest in dealing with a Franken-haust/ECU system. FWIW, I also have the GT3 TB, IPD Competition Plenum, and Fabspeed Competition Intake... Got the OK from FVD before doing these mods. FVD analysize the mods on my car and provide an ECU mapping appropriate towards the mod and car's profile - an '08 C2S. They'll also customize the exhaust note towards your preference. Very happy with the system and especially FVD's customer and technical support along the way. My exhaust system is dignified enough to get me out of the community unscathed by neighborly pitch forks and yet produces god of war like symphonies at WOT. The burbles and blap notes are just intoxicating. I find myself driving the car in a manner to produce and reward myself with those notes in particular... can't help but play the car like a musical instrument. I've enjoyed 3+ yrs of successful annual TX emission testing plus 21K+ miles of roadway grins. There's nothing quite like the symphony of notes produced by these exhaust systems and the kick in the pants performance is just icing on the cake. A solid +997 for FVD.

Note: FVD provides exhaust systems which are compatible with the standard Porsche exhaust and allows for additive component swaps ... ie. you can start by swapping out the cans for a different exhaust note then add the 200 cell cats and/or exhaust manifolds down the road for added performance gains. The exhaust system I linked to above is a complete system replacement as it increases the standard Porsche 63.5mm pipes to 70mm pipes throughout the entire FVD exhaust system.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Drone: The engineering feat is to give the exhaust some bark and bite to it, but at cruising speeds to have the sound waves cancel themselves out, which isn't going to happen by accident. Drone is when the sound waves at most cruising speeds just come out and also fill the cabin with a drone (loud exhaust sound that is continuous).

The company best equipped to make this happen (cancel the drone sound) is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM), which helps explain why Porsche performance exhaust gets good reviews. The manufacturer has an unprecedented amt of hours in their car in terms of development.

Even Borla, a company with pretty good resources, has an exhaust system that drones.

Let's take a look at Fabspeed: Essentially, this is a small shop, with young guys trying to build up their company. How much engineering can they do with every type of car they market an exhaust product for? They have to secure a model to design and build around it. They need to spec out the parts and do some testing. How many Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes and other brands and models do they have to build and test around? Far too many to get into sophisticated sound engineering. Yeah, I am sure they can control sound to some degree, but let's be realistic here.

As an exhaust builder, you apply your good machining, welding, bending and overall manufacturing to make sure your exhaust parts fit all the specs, shapes, sizes, hangers, etc for the dozens and dozens of models and engines. It is unlikely you have the shop, tools, resources and such to do hardcore sound engineering, which would let you come up with wave cancelling approaches that are dialed into every type of car and all the assorted engine and exhaust options stacked together.

Mix in personal tastes and it is exceedingly hard to get feedback that let's you nail down an exhaust system without you hearing it IN PERSON. One person's 'loud' is another person's 'too mild.'

And after falling in love with an exhaust sound, in three months in might turn to hate as your in-cabin experience means you hear drones and other other stuff while everyone behind you hears a nice growl.

Very true... my wife thought our FVD exhaust system was too loud initially. I contacted Rhonda at FVD to discuss a remedy. Rhonda suggested 1) FVD can custom fab cans that would produce a dB level akin towards my wife's preference 2) allow the existing cans time to settle over a month as the notes will alter in characteristics... what I did not anticipate was that my wife changed her mind after a week and wanted to keep the "loud exhaust". 3+ yrs latter and she still wants to keep it.

Make sure to ask Rhonda for the RL member discount should you contact FVD re their exhaust systems.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've really become a giant fan of the "Gundo" / "Fister" mods. Cheap, easy and effective. Installed mine on Monday and after taking the car out yesterday I'm really pleased. Windows open and on the gas whenever safe. In my mind it's how I imagined the car should sound. It's not a massive difference but it's noticeable and tangible. Nice burble, louder and much more authoritative. Yea it's not like some of my other vehicles that will wake up the entire block if pushed(not that I do this as I respect my neighbours).

For how little it cost and how easy it was I'd say it's worth giving a shot to see if you're happy with the results. If you aren't then you've spent very little and can entertain other systems including adding a sharkwerks muffler bypass to add to the system.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:26 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by msuheritage
I went back and forth and was looking at those systems. After I heard the Tubi in person I went that way and I dont regret it for a second. I love the Tubi system. Tame and slightly mean at idle and amazing when you step on it.
Same here - have had the Tubi for about 6 months now and and absolutely love it. I don't regret a dime spent on it.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:25 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Here is a list of exhaust to consider:

PSE (factory Porsche sport exhaust) you can find them used at times
Gundo / Fister mod
Euro pipe
Awe
Tubi
If you have a 997.2 add a Sharkwerks bypass system ( x pipe) to any of the above mufflers and enjoy!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Argon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
Same here - have had the Tubi for about 6 months now and and absolutely love it. I don't regret a dime spent on it.
I have a Tubi too. Very happy with it. No drone and civilized at lower revs (although still with a nice grumble), but emits a savage and hard-edged wail under high revs. I still - 6 months after installation - can't resist cranking down my windows, opening up the sun roof and kicking it up a few gears when I am about to go through a decent-sized underpass.

That having been said, I have not been able to compare it to the other systems out there. I picked up the Tubi because I got it second-hand for a decent price and with low mileage on it, and I was happy with their reputation (gleaned via internet research). By all accounts, Gundo hack with center muffler delete pipes offers tremendous bang for your buck if you're looking to save some money. I may well have gone this route had I not discovered the second-hand Tubi.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

the system you linked to is the one that I like. What I like most is the TUV approval. Being German I know how strict TUV approval is and I think this translates into good quality.

thanks for your feedback

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
You're paying for the Porsche brand, the engineering and systems testing, no issues with emission testing, a louder and selectable exhaust note but zero if any performance gains. To gain performance most will add a 3rd party 200 cell cats and an improved(longer piped) exhaust manifold. FWIW, I went with FVD for the engineering and emission benefits associated with PSE plus I wanted added performance gains. FVD has a solid reputation for quality exhaust builds(manufactured by M&M in Germany), excellent customer service and technical support, and zero issues with emission testing after ECU tune. They also build for Porsche Motorsport and perform exhaustive testing on the track with Porsche... they even have the source code for the 997 ECU.

When I was researching an upgrade to my stock exhaust it occurred to me that the price of the PSE + 200 cell cats + exhaust manifold = price of a full blown FVD Brombacher exhaust system. http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...ps_4x90mm.html I really liked the idea of securing a complete system from one company who would support me through any issues related to the totality of that critical part of the engine. Subsequently I remapped my ECU with the FVD tune. I've done my fair share of Mods plus associated hours of troubleshooting with my prior M3. This time I had no interest in dealing with a Franken-haust/ECU system. FWIW, I also have the GT3 TB, IPD Competition Plenum, and Fabspeed Competition Intake... Got the OK from FVD before doing these mods. FVD analysize the mods on my car and provide an ECU mapping appropriate towards the mod and car's profile - an '08 C2S. They'll also customize the exhaust note towards your preference. Very happy with the system and especially FVD's customer and technical support along the way. My exhaust system is dignified enough to get me out of the community unscathed by neighborly pitch forks and yet produces god of war like symphonies at WOT. The burbles and blap notes are just intoxicating. I find myself driving the car in a manner to produce and reward myself with those notes in particular... can't help but play the car like a musical instrument. I've enjoyed 3+ yrs of successful annual TX emission testing plus 21K+ miles of roadway grins. There's nothing quite like the symphony of notes produced by these exhaust systems and the kick in the pants performance is just icing on the cake. A solid +997 for FVD.

Note: FVD provides exhaust systems which are compatible with the standard Porsche exhaust and allows for additive component swaps ... ie. you can start by swapping out the cans for a different exhaust note then add the 200 cell cats and/or exhaust manifolds down the road for added performance gains. The exhaust system I linked to above is a complete system replacement as it increases the standard Porsche 63.5mm pipes to 70mm pipes throughout the entire FVD exhaust system.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

thank you so much for all the feedback and information you all have provided me.

I appreciate this

Quick Reply: I like you opinion on a new Exhaust System