Sponsored by:

Retrofitting the Adaptive Headlights from 997.2 to 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 AM
FelixW
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Retrofitting the Adaptive Headlights from 997.2 to 997.1

Tried asking on 6Speed but no response (not baffled) Anyone here know if it's possible? My mechanic swears it's not.
Currently own a 2005 C2S if that matters.

EDIT: Don't care about the adaptive function, I just like the fact that they look great so no need to get the adaptive motors working.

Last edited by FelixW; 09-05-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:16 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Well usually there's ALOT involved with adaptive lighting, besides the headlight there's alot of sensors in the "steering column" leading to the ECU. So not only it would be impossible to wire all that, it'll be extremely costly.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:21 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

And I have them on my car and "had" to have them. Honestly, they are barely perceptible. I think the non dynamic cornering headlight housing looks better (at least on 997 but 991 looks cool) and cleaner than the double bulb of the PDLS. GL
Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM
FelixW
Track Day

What if I don't care about them being adaptive but more of the look? Just need them functioning like the ones I have on now.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:50 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm not sure they can be aimed manually. With the adaptive headlights they do a little tilt up and aim dance each time they are powered on.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Isik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also love the way the adaptive headlights look! If I move onto 997.2 one day! BrakingBad love your avatar!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:01 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I think it would require a lot of expensive experimental risk. It's most likely that there would be no reasonable way to get the pointing part working since the signals would most likely not be there. But that is okay with you. Even then, at a discounted seller like Gaudin these are still pretty expensive (see link below). If you really want to pursue this, I'd suggest that you carefully compare differences in parts, including the mounts and anything else involved with your current car and see what parts are different.

Even then I think you will find the wiring to be the most unsolvable problem. The chances that the connectors are compatible is slim and you can't tell that by the diagram below. While some hard core hacking involving cutting/splicing wires might work, you might also ruin the lighting to the point where you wouldn't even be able to get the original lights to work again. (All this is assuming your current car already has xenon lighting to provide the high voltage they require).

I'm guessing this would cost you around $3500 to $4000. I'd suggest putting that into the bank toward a car with the desired lights already attached.

http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/pa...iagram=6933036
Old 09-06-2014, 03:01 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Actually prefer the non adaptive lights look. Cleaner. And...i seriuolsy think the give more lighton high beams
Old 09-07-2014, 12:53 PM
FelixW
Track Day

Originally Posted by StormRune
I think it would require a lot of expensive experimental risk. It's most likely that there would be no reasonable way to get the pointing part working since the signals would most likely not be there. But that is okay with you. Even then, at a discounted seller like Gaudin these are still pretty expensive (see link below). If you really want to pursue this, I'd suggest that you carefully compare differences in parts, including the mounts and anything else involved with your current car and see what parts are different.

Even then I think you will find the wiring to be the most unsolvable problem. The chances that the connectors are compatible is slim and you can't tell that by the diagram below. While some hard core hacking involving cutting/splicing wires might work, you might also ruin the lighting to the point where you wouldn't even be able to get the original lights to work again. (All this is assuming your current car already has xenon lighting to provide the high voltage they require).

I'm guessing this would cost you around $3500 to $4000. I'd suggest putting that into the bank toward a car with the desired lights already attached.

http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/pa...iagram=6933036
Darn, I already have a set I got off eBay in Germany a few years ago. But it sounds like a nightmare to make them work.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by FelixW
Darn, I already have a set I got off eBay in Germany a few years ago. But it sounds like a nightmare to make them work.
I imagine you can sell them for good money on eBay as well. Occasionally these get cracked and a good eBay replacement would sell at a good price as opposed to the $1450 a dealer would charge for new.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:55 AM
FelixW
Track Day

Someone said a guy on here and 6Speed had made it work, anyone remember the thread?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

delete

Last edited by ecostellodo; 09-12-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: post wasn't helpful :-(
Old 10-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Felice, did you ever get the adaptive lights working? And you sell them? Thanks
Old 10-29-2018, 08:37 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

i recall the thread you guys are talking about re 6psd (don't know the link) , but here is what i recall.....

if you don't care re adaptive L+R light output then the procedure is pretty much plug and play - you will need to swap over the bulb and ballast from your existing headlamps 997.1.

i am not sure if the auto level will still work, but they can be set manually i believe to a fixed direction.

your light output will indeed be better as they changed the lens on the 997.2 headlamp to a fresnel lens (i think) so you will notice better illumination despite the same bulb+ballast being used.

finally, to remove any errors i believe you will need a durmetric pro or Piwis to change a few settings in the front module as well.

Originally Posted by FelixW
Tried asking on 6Speed but no response (not baffled) Anyone here know if it's possible? My mechanic swears it's not.
Currently own a 2005 C2S if that matters.

EDIT: Don't care about the adaptive function, I just like the fact that they look great so no need to get the adaptive motors working.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks, one last question, ever see these lights or the color pieces for sale? I really like them, don't need the adaptive portion to work, emailed techart and they don't have them anymore

Quick Reply: Retrofitting the Adaptive Headlights from 997.2 to 997.1