Sponsored by:

O2 simulators?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 PM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question O2 simulators?

Ok, so I have my new headers and cup car exhaust on with some little 90 degree o2 simulators. I drove it for a while with no CEL, but when I get on the freeway for a long ride the CEL comes on.

Besides a tune ( which won't work in Houston, Texas because it shows o2 not ready during inspection) what other products are out there to trick the ECM into thinking my cats are still on the car?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Most tunes let you reflash back to your original stock version whenever you want, like before going to the dealer for service or for state inspections.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by semicycler
Most tunes let you reflash back to your original stock version whenever you want, like before going to the dealer for service or for state inspections.
I've tried that before. After you go back to stock tune, the o2's will still show "not ready" until they cycle with the ecm. To cycle them you have to drive it a certain amount of miles, when that happens the CEL comes on.

I am curious if anybody has had luck with o2 extensions of any size/shape?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If I were in your situation I might reinstall the cat/cats for inspections. Granted I have a lift which helps with access but it would be worth it to me to purchse gaskets & bolts and spend some time DIYing to avoid trying to find a way to beat the computer. GL
Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 PM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by jkw911
If I were in your situation I might reinstall the cat/cats for inspections. Granted I have a lift which helps with access but it would be worth it to me to purchse gaskets & bolts and spend some time DIYing to avoid trying to find a way to beat the computer. GL
Yeah, but I would have to find GT3 cats since this is a cup car exhaust, and I don't think there are many sets of those around.

I just find it hard to believe no body has ran across this before???
Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the FVD ECU remap along with their full exhaust system: long piped exhaust manifold, 200 cell cats, cans, and tips for the past 3+ yrs in TX. http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...ps_4x90mm.html

FWIW, I don't get CELs and there's no need to re-flash the ECU back to stock before the annual TX safety and emission test/inspection. Talk to Rhonda at FVD. Their remap may help in this case... although I'm not sure how effective their remap would be on a non-FVD exhaust.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 AM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I have the FVD ECU remap along with their full exhaust system: long piped exhaust manifold, 200 cell cats, cans, and tips for the past 3+ yrs in TX. http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...ps_4x90mm.html

FWIW, I don't get CELs and there's no need to re-flash the ECU back to stock before the annual TX safety and emission test/inspection. Talk to Rhonda at FVD. Their remap may help in this case... although I'm not sure how effective their remap would be on a non-FVD exhaust.
I'll give her a call, I appreciate it!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:15 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

FVD seem to have a very close relationship with Porsche due to their support/build activities for Porsche Motorsport. Therefore they have access to the ECU source code for our cars. This allows them to mask their code in a way that is not detectable by p-dealers = good for warranty work. My car was under original warranty and CPO until June this year so that was very important to me over the past 3+ yrs. I can validate that my p-dealer could not detect that my car was remapped even with the PIWIS. I even shared the remap with my trusted SA(a close friend)... he looked and asked me if I was certain that the ECU was remapped.

Regarding emissions testing a programmer at FVD has figured out how to address the "readiness" status issue. Some 3rd party tunes will turn this off to eliminate the CELs associated with 200/100 cell cats. The FVD remap, however, does not require a flash back to stock so I've gone in for emission testing w/o having to mess with all that... I did lots of mods to my prior M3 and had to deal with my fair share of post mod hassles or mods to the mod. With the p-car I was looking for a hassle free setup this time. The exhaust and ECU are co-dependent systems so I decided on a complete FVD system to eliminate as many potential mod hassles as possible. Another nice feature of the FVD remap... they tailor it towards your existing mods given they have used/tested those mods as well. In my case the GT3 TB, IPD Competition, and Fabspeed air intake worked w/o a hitch. If you're using the Porsche cup car exhaust system then I suspect FVD may be able to assist due to their close association with Porsche Motorsport. BTW, no association with FVD, however, my experience with their products have been excellent and their CS is exceptional. GL and keep us posted.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 08-28-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: O2 simulators?