Sponsored by:

Feedback on my FS ad

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:54 PM
deverest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on my FS ad

I am selling my 997.2 in the classifieds section as well as a few other places, PCA, etc. I have not gotten nearly the views or responses that others have gotten. I would like your feedback; is it price, photos, narrative, other? thanks in advance

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-on-black.html
Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

good price for a .2
high mileage is the main issue but that is reflected in the price of <50K
Maybe specify where the car is in your profile or in the ad because midwest isn't specific enough
Finally - more picture. Saying email me for pictures doesn't help at all. It's like ads that say pm for price, I hate that one.

I'd take lots of pictures of the exterior and interior with a good quality camera. Iphone pics won't help you sell the car. You want the car to really shine.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:34 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Buddahmonk on addingore pics and making sure they are of higher quality. I find this is key when selling a car, especially a nicer one like yours. G/L!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 from BMonk.

I'd also add that it's likely, because you've dropped the price once already, that folks may perceive you are still in the "wishful thinking" stage and not the "I really want to sell this" stage and that by waiting you out, you will continue to drop the price.

My recommendation: provide all the pictures, information, and relevant history you'd want, if you were a potential buyer. Set your "buy it now" price and do your best to be as honest and upfront about answering what questions you can. This is just a difficult process as you are competing with other cars that are potentially more desired (S, more options, etc.) and the delta between your asking price and those of others, likely isn't large enough to sway folks away from the perception that spending "just a little more" will get a more highly optioned car.

You have a great car and it's just a matter of the right information, right price, and right buyer to wrap this up. I would work on the first two and the last will come shortly.

Best of luck!

KS
Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures, pictures, pictures. And then details. Service history, recent repairs or service done. Option list, modification list if any.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Fury
3rd Gear

I looked at your ads. I offer you my perspective as a prospective buyer.

1. You must take and post better pictures; clear, high-resolution, uncluttered photographs of your car. As a potential buyer, I want to see the condition of the car, both in and out. Photographs are eye candies.

2. If I like what I see, I want to know the car specs. By that, I don't mean the checked-box options (i.e. ABS, power windows, etc.). I mean the package options, performance options, etc; preferably with the order codes listed as well. I want to know if your car has SC, PDCC, PASM, 4 vs. 14 vs 18 way seats, full or partial leather, etc. List them all!

3. Next comes your narrative. It's nice to know why you're selling. Any potential red flag with your story. Your car service record (or lack there of).

This is like your car's CV. Put yourself in the buyer's shoes. What can I do to entice a stranger to buy my car?

If this sounds harsh, it is b'c I want to help. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

I would also discuss any options or add ins like the winter set you show in your avatar. Maybe you want to throw in the set for the sale price.

Also little typo, the 997.1 s has 355hp not 350hp - so it's 10 hp less.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 AM
deverest
Instructor

Thank you very much for all the feedback, I am going to revamp my ad today....I really appreciate all the assistance!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

I'll agree with one of Fury's points and expand on it. Let's consider this: If you were on a dating site, would you pick the girl who was beautifully posed in a shot overlooking soaring seaside cliffs or one of her sitting in a recliner with no makeup and scratching an itch. I think you can guess which one your photo of the car sitting in the ship represents. Presentation means a lot.

If you are serious, I'd also consider the pain of getting greater exposure in places like Autotrader (and maybe eBay if you don't mind the fees). A lot of newbies to our world don't know to find the car postings here and at your price point I'd think you'd find a lot of interest from people wanting to make the move up to a 911 but don't know the best ways to find them. In these ads especially, you'd need to call out more cool specs like HP, LED lights, with the nice sales-pitch words like "top-of-the-line" and "rare turbo twist upgraded wheels", etc. Help them understand the unique things about your car and Porsche in general that makes it a wonderful car.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'll agree with one of Fury's points and expand on it. Let's consider this: If you were on a dating site, would you pick the girl who was beautifully posed in a shot overlooking soaring seaside cliffs or one of her sitting in a recliner with no makeup and scratching an itch. I think you can guess which one your photo of the car sitting in the ship represents. Presentation means a lot.

If you are serious, I'd also consider the pain of getting greater exposure in places like Autotrader (and maybe eBay if you don't mind the fees). A lot of newbies to our world don't know to find the car postings here and at your price point I'd think you'd find a lot of interest from people wanting to make the move up to a 911 but don't know the best ways to find them. In these ads especially, you'd need to call out more cool specs like HP, LED lights, with the nice sales-pitch words like "top-of-the-line" and "rare turbo twist upgraded wheels", etc. Help them understand the unique things about your car and Porsche in general that makes it a wonderful car.
Agree with all the great tips you've been getting...one nit though (and I'm sure it's just me) - why do the front wheels have 4 silver lug bolts and 1 black (looks like locking) and the rears have 5 black lug bolts?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
deverest
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
...- why do the front wheels have 4 silver lug bolts and 1 black (looks like locking) and the rears have 5 black lug bolts?
I have multiple wheel sets, last time i took the car to the indy mechanic i had my silver bolts on w/o locks so i used 4 of my black bolts...as a favor he painted the black bolts silver. I have since replaced the painted bolts w black ones, so i have two sets of wheel bolts, one black, one silver (both w locks).
Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may help: Jalopnik - Ten Common Sense Tips For Successfully Selling Your Car Online

When looking for a new car the first thing that catches my eye is good pictures and how clean the car is. If either of these is off then the only thing that's going to make me come back to a listing is an obscenely low price. Add some detailed pictures that are shot with a quality camera, include additional details in the listing regarding options etc. and you should get a better response.

Good luck in the sale of your vehicle.

Quick Reply: Feedback on my FS ad