Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Devaluation of a 997.2 with rear quarter panel replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Devaluation of a 997.2 with rear quarter panel replacement.

I've recently been looking at a 2009 C4S Cab and was quite serious about it, until I pulled a carfax and discovered that it had been in two accidents. I questioned the owner and he told me it had actually been in three minor accidents and all repairs were paid for in cash. He was able to produce receipts for the repairs from a reputable body shop, and it was around $4,500 in damage. For this it seems there was a front bumper respray, rear bumper replaced, and rear quarter panel repaired. I apologize if this is some sort of repost, but I wasn't able to ascertain the information I'm looking for from other threads. In your opinion, is this vehicle worth considering and how much would you devalue it for the accident damage?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:20 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4500 dollars worth of damage is not much at all. It is pretty easy to spend 5 k on these cars for minor damage. However others may not see it that way. So upon you selling it it will drop the value. Maybe a couple grand. But others my have intimate knowledge.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:36 PM
ufischer
Instructor

It really depends on the car and what its intended use will be. If it is a garage queen, low mileage and is otherwise impeccable, this would have a significant impact on resale, particularly if you plan to continue to baby it. But if it is a daily driver and you can confirm the work done is quality (e.g. does it look good) and there is no rust or other hidden imperfections, I would not let this stop you. $4,500 for body work on a 911 from a reputable shop really is not very much.

I would make sure the frame is straight and that only OEM parts were used in any repairs. Other than that, have at it. And of course, get a good PPI.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:50 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

My new to me 2oo6, had a trailer hitch in the hood and a pot hole that bent a tie rod, bent the rim, popped the tire. To two claims. Priced accordingly, repaired properly. Bought it from a friend with full disclosure. Repaired correctly? I would not have a problem with it. No paperwork? Cash transaction? Hmmm.... really that much? Be careful. Does the repair shop keep records? Perhaps no invoice, but surely there was a repair estimate done? Would they keep something like that?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies!

I definitely plan on using it as a daily driver, it has around 47,000 miles on it already.

I was thinking along the same lines, but this car is very reasonably priced and has been for sale for over 6 months now in a very liquid 911 market down here in South Florida. I'm surprised the owner hasn't sold it to a dealer, but I'm wondering if dealers are staying away from it due to accident history.

I've heard that any rear quarter panel work will de-galvanize the metal, making it very prone to rust in the future. I just feel like I'm missing something as to why this car hasn't sold. Also, if I'm only going to save $5k, I think I'd rather have something that won't be so difficult to sell in a few years.

Again, I appreciate all of the replies. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:23 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO, all you have to do is to make sure a genuine Porsche part was used and that the welding was carried out along the original welding points. If so you are good to go.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar
I've recently been looking at a 2009 C4S Cab and was quite serious about it, until I pulled a carfax and discovered that it had been in two accidents. I questioned the owner and he told me it had actually been in three minor accidents and all repairs were paid for in cash. He was able to produce receipts for the repairs from a reputable body shop, and it was around $4,500 in damage. For this it seems there was a front bumper respray, rear bumper replaced, and rear quarter panel repaired. I apologize if this is some sort of repost, but I wasn't able to ascertain the information I'm looking for from other threads. In your opinion, is this vehicle worth considering and how much would you devalue it for the accident damage?
$4,500 seems very cheap for all that. I spent the same amount on a light rear end hit that didn't even involve either quarter panel.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
$4,500 seems very cheap for all that. I spent the same amount on a light rear end hit that didn't even involve either quarter panel.
Agree. Most body repairs on these cars are way higher.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:39 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the folks above on the repair. If it's been done well, and you have no desire to flip this car suddenly, wouldn't bother me. What does concern me, and I assume you hadn't yet talked to the owner, is why this wasn't disclosed in the first place. That you had to find out via carfax and had to ask the owner, means somewhere along the line, this information wasn't conveyed. Either in the ad or by the owner when looking at the car. This certainly isn't a doomsday scenario but sketchy behavior like this always raises a flag for me.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Your thread title says the rear quarter panel was replaced, but the text of your post says the rear quarter panel was repaired. Do you know which it was, replacement or repair?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

I was sharing a lot of the same sentiment as everyone here has expressed. $4500 seems very inexpensive when it comes to body repair, especially being spread out between two bumpers and a rear quarter.

I'm afraid this conversation is moot now, last night the owner told me that he has a sale pending so I guess there is no point in vetting this one any more.

Thank you all for all of your insight, I really appreciate it. Hopefully this can help someone else out in the future.

When I do find the right car, I'll be sure to share some pics on the forums.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Your thread title says the rear quarter panel was replaced, but the text of your post says the rear quarter panel was repaired. Do you know which it was, replacement or repair?
Sorry about that, I can see how that is contradictory. It was a repair.

Quick Reply: Devaluation of a 997.2 with rear quarter panel replacement.