Sponsored by:

North Georgia Mountain Porsche Drives

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I wish the cruise didn't have a fee. I've been driving those roads for many years without paying anyone.
What fees are you talking about, there is no fees with PCAR Touring. Your only costs are your food and fuel. For some drives we are required to prepay the lunch as a group in advance. I believe that PCA may have a fee, but we are not associated with the PCA.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by windboat
For some drives we are required to prepay the lunch as a group in advance.
See above. It was ~$30?

Can you participate without going to lunch with the group?

I also have a couple of early Porsche cars. We email and meet on Hwy 400. We drive the same roads. Some guys may did want to drive all day and head back to Atlanta. Others may continue. He usually stop at a sub place if we want to eat something. Georgia wine?

We always stop at the "gas stations" (ethanol free) for group fill ups and optional refreshments (the early cars like the fuel).

I am in two Porsche clubs and PCA isn't one of them.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:27 AM
windboat
Racer

See above. It was ~$30? Can you participate without going to lunch with the group? I also have a couple of early Porsche cars. We email and meet on Hwy 400. We drive the same roads. Some guys may did want to drive all day and head back to Atlanta. Others may continue. He usually stop at a sub place if we want to eat something. Georgia wine? We always stop at the "gas stations" (ethanol free) for group fill ups and optional refreshments (the early cars like the fuel). I am in two Porsche clubs and PCA isn't one of them.
Having lunch with the group isn't required, some choose not to, it is totally optional. Most do as it is the social part of the drives, meeting other Porsche owners. Regarding the $32.50 (lunch, tax & tip), in private group dining area, with meal prepared specifically for the group our drive of August 9th we had 60 for lunch. Nothing goes to PCAR Touring or ever has. While our drives may not be for everyone, but those who do make them have a great time. If your looking to race through the mountain roads excessively exceeding speed limits, our drives are probably not for you.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:01 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Having lunch with the group isn't required, some choose not to, it is totally optional.
Cool. I didn't really get that part.

My wife loves going to "dining experiences" in Atlanta. I'd just like to drive and get a quick sub or chesseburger, then plan the next route in the north mountains.

There are a lot of very nice county roads that take you away from the weekend bikes and bicycles on the main roads.

If you are looking to race through the mountain roads excessively exceeding speed limits, our drives are probably not for you.
I save my racing to Road Atlanta. I may exceed the speed limit from time to time but never anywhere close to the GA super speeder limit (+20 Mph over the posted limit).
Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but never anywhere close to the GA super speeder limit (+20 Mph over the posted limit).
Oops.

Well, still better than Virginia
Old 08-18-2014, 05:33 PM
windboat
Racer

. There are a lot of very nice county roads that take you away from the weekend bikes and bicycles on the main roads.
We do a lot of country roads, I personally have driven most of them in Western NC and North GA. When running a group of 20-30 cars, one has to be careful not to use to many badly marked back roads with many intersection turns. If you do you will ended up with a group of 5 cars and a lot of lost ones. We know this from experience. GPS' are totally useless on many of these roads.

One the reason we start our drives relatively early 8-9am and finish by 2pm is we avoid the bikers and rice cookers who normally do not take to the roads until the afternoon. As example, our next drive on Sep 20th we will leave ATL by 8:30 and run up to the Balsam Overlook (6100 ft) on the Blue Ridge Parkway and arrive in Cashiers, NC by 1:30 for buffet lunch at the High Hampton Inn ($20 everyone pays their own tab, no prepayment needed). I am certain there is a SUBWAY in Cashiers as well . We also have folks that do only part of our drives. Our only rules are to be respectful of others in group and DRIVE SAFE....
Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

When running a group of 20-30 cars, one has to be careful not to use to many badly marked back roads with many intersection turns.
I get it. We usually split up in more than one group. Everyone meets at the same place (maybe the Wal-Mart parking lot) if things don't work out. There is a WalMart in Franklin, NC (28734).

One the reason we start our drives relatively early 8-9am.....Balsam Overlook (6100 ft) on the Blue Ridge Parkway and arrive in Cashiers, NC by 1:30 for buffet lunch at the High Hampton Inn ($20 everyone pays their own tab, no prepayment needed).
The Balsam Overlook is a really nice drive.

I am certain there is a SUBWAY in Cashiers as well . We also have folks that do only part of our drives. Our only rules are to be respectful of others in group and DRIVE SAFE....
The Hampton Inn? Really?

I'll call the maître d' Subway for my reservations.

Kidding aside, I'm glad that you stated everything in full disclosure as to the what and when.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:43 PM
windboat
Racer

The Hampton Inn? Really?

I'll call the maître d' Subway for my reservations.

Kidding aside, I'm glad that you stated everything in full disclosure as to the what and when.
Not the Hampton Inn cheap hotel chain but the HIGH HAMPTON RESORT in Cashiers.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Not the Hampton Inn cheap hotel chain but the HIGH HAMPTON RESORT in Cashiers.
I already looked it up:
http://www.highhamptoninn.com/dining.aspx

Like I said, I am not one bit interested in eating lunch in this area for $30+ ($20 + iced tea + tips).

If you throw 60 people at any restaurant, you will have a service problem.

As an internet pundit, I am just offering a second opinion. I say we split a Subway turkey foot long for $2.50 each and keep driving.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 PM
windboat
Racer

I already looked it up:
http://www.highhamptoninn.com/dining.aspx

Like I said, I am not one bit interested in eating lunch in this area for $30+ ($20 + iced tea + tips).

As an internet pundit, I am just offering a second opinion. I say we split a Subway turkey foot long for $2.50 each and keep driving.
Wish you well on your drives, "different strokes for different folks".
Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn this looked awesome ...thanks for sharing.

My wife's best friend lives in Atlanta and we go up there from time to time...I need to try and time one of our trips to pertake in this event.

PS Any PCAR owners doing the 1/2 mile (Wannagofast) in September? We don't have any 1/2 mile events in Florida
Old 08-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Mochec
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping to join in the fun

I'm new to RL... just got my '07 997.1 C2 and despite a lurking fear of an IMS nightmare, I'm feeling thrilled to be back in the 911 groove. It's my second 911; the first being a '99 996 that served me well as a DD for 6 years. I'm hoping to join the Sept drive from Atlanta. Anyone clue me as to where you all meetup? Thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not trying to convince you to participate in the meal, but for any others who are wondering... the previous lunch was exceptional. Quality and service. The owner was present the entire time and their staff was exceptional. Great experience.

Quick Reply: North Georgia Mountain Porsche Drives