Sponsored by:

Leather and vinyl dye

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Leather and vinyl dye

I didn't have much Lucknow Planet 9, so I thought I would post here.

Since purchasing my 987 CS, I've really wanted the more updated look of the sport steering wheel and airbag. I just recently scored a great deal on both but, the bad news, it's the wrong color.

My interior is black and the new wheel and airbag are beige. I've looked at many posts and I'm still not sure what is the best method for dyeing both vinyl and leather. I was hoping for some responses from those who have actually done this and what their long term issues, if any, are.

I've seen many products from Leather World, Scuff Master (liquid leather), SEM, etc... In addition, I've seen brush-on applications and spray on as well. Who has done this with good success?

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a shop paint my seat. it was cheap. $90 and he matched it pretty good. i asked him about dying and he said light color to dark is hard because of the seams. he said touching it a lot isn't helpful either. i would take it to a shop and ask them.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Do a search in the Concours and Detailing section for leather dye and touch up. You'll find a post I did a few years ago with instructions and before/after pics.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:17 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used leatherique to dye and restore leather seats with great results, but even using a professional I would NOT attempt to changes black seat to beige to match a steering wheel! Either buy beige seat, or sell your new wheel and apply the proceeds to a correct black one.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts

The issue I've found are that the airbags tend to be expensive. I've searched for a black one for some time without much luck. As the earlier sport wheels have the horn on the outside of the bag itself, re-coloring the airbag may be the easiest part as it should not receive much wear.

For the price I paid, I consider the wheel as basically free. Perhaps I'll try out the steering wheel dye kit for under 50 as a test.

Any one have much luck with the SEM spray on products?

Quick Reply: Leather and vinyl dye