Sponsored by:

Power outlet in center console

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Bepe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power outlet in center console

I have been using the power outlet in my center console (cigarette lighter) to power my iPhone. I recently noticed that the manual says that you shouldn't use that outlet to power items. I was wondering if anyone knows why this is the case and if using it for my iPhone will cause issues. Any info welcome. Thx

2005 C2S
Old 07-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have been using mine on this current Porsche and my 2 past ones to power my radar detector and have not ever had an issue. Not sure the reason??? Wonder how many folks actually use the lighter or smoke in their cars anymore???
Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Bepe
Track Day

Thanks. That's what I figured.

Agree. I can't imagine someone using it as a lighter. Smoke! I don't even let food or drinks in my car (even with the upholders)
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify . . . are you using the cigarette lighter in the ash tray or the power outlet in the console underneath the armrest lid? If you are using the cigarette lighter like you mentioned, I would think the warning has to do with the fact you are using an outlet (which usually operates for just short periods of time to heat up the lighter element) to charge a device for an extended period of time. Again, this is me just applying some logic.

There has to be a reason why Porsche engineers put an outlet underneath the console lid and a cigarette lighter just a few inches away from one another. Does this mean the two are not compatible? I'm not sure. I'd be interested to hear what someone with a thorough understanding of the 997 electrical system has to say.

Sean
Old 07-17-2014, 12:39 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its because the lighter is an unswitched outlet that will drain the battery.

My 2009 manual has the following wording:

Heating lighter
Open ashtray lid.

Push in **** of the cigarette lighter.
When ready for use, the lighter will snap back.

Note on operation
The lighter receptacle is not to be used for
electrical accessories (except for the tire filling
compressor).

Maximum power consumption: 150 W

Please see the chapter “SOCKETS” on
Page 257.

then...

Sockets
Electrical accessories should preferably be
connected to the 12 V sockets.

Please observe the maximum power
consumption.

Note on operation
The tire filling compressor must be connected to
the cigarette lighter

Note on operation
The sockets and thus the connected electrical
accessories function even if the ignition is
switched off or the ignition key is withdrawn.

If the engine is not running and the accessories
are switched on, the vehicle battery will be discharged.

Do not operate additional accessories for more
than 5 minutes when engine is off. Continuing to
do so may drain the battery such that it may go
completely dead.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Bepe
Track Day

Actually I meant the cigarette lighter, but you may be on to something. There may be a difference between the sockets because the manual also notes that the tire filling compressor must be connected to the cigarette lighter.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:08 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was using the cig lighter to charge my phone but it stopped working a month ago. I'm too lazy to look into it.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malexgcab
I was using the cig lighter to charge my phone but it stopped working a month ago. I'm too lazy to look into it.
The one under the armrest stopped working for me several months ago but the center one still does. Mechanic wanted 3 hours to look into it. Needless to say, I'm using the center one now (not very often though).
Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

all three of my outlets are dead, and it's not a blown fuse...

makes road-trips interesting!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

very likely the fuse.

Originally Posted by iammulva
The one under the armrest stopped working for me several months ago but the center one still does. Mechanic wanted 3 hours to look into it. Needless to say, I'm using the center one now (not very often though).
Old 07-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

i think the armrest outlet is switched, and turns off when the car is off. I think the ashtray outlet remains on even when the car if off. Otherwise they perform the same service.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 PM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking for a 997.2, the outlet in the center console is used for universal audio input, which can charge various iPhones and smartphones with no problem. These devices don't draw enough power to be a concern.

Anything larger (tire pump, AC inverter, etc.) should go to the one in the ash tray. Still need to watch the power draw though.

Contrary to popular belief, neither of these outlets turn off after shutting off the car. At least that's how my 997.2 behaves. So don't leave things plugged in for extended period of time!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

same with 997.1. i run an fm modulator sometimes and it lights up once its plugged in; even if the car is off (regardless of which outlet).

Originally Posted by sleepy
Contrary to popular belief, neither of these outlets turn off after shutting off the car. At least that's how my 997.2 behaves. So don't leave things plugged in for extended period of time!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The outlet in the passenger foot well and the outlet in the center console compartment operate off the same fuse...and not very much current will blow it. I think it's 5A off the top of my head. If you try to inflate your tires using the air pump on either of those outlets, it'll blow the fuse (I've done it a couple of times now). If those two outlets aren't working, then check the fuse.

The cigarette lighter outlet can support a higher current draw and should be used with the air pump. Several of the posts above have mentioned the same thing.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As noted cigarette lighter is unswitched. Battery will drain down if something ie radar detector is left plugged in with car shut down. Not a Good Thing. Read manual when bored?

Quick Reply: Power outlet in center console