Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder scoring on 1 and 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:05 PM
hBomb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: no real news yet. Had a good call with the dealership today. They at least went to bat for an hour yesterday with FWS, trying (unsuccessfully) to talk them out of the teardown. They asked FWS "Is there anything a teardown would prove that we can't also prove with the boroscope, DME and service records that would affect the outcome of the claim?" FWS didn't have an answer for that one, which gives me hope that the claim will be covered. Maybe they want it done for bigger-picture actuarial reasons? It seems like a huge waste of money if they're going to cover the claim, but I'm not the one running the warranty company. Oh well.

Unfortunately, the dealership is dealing with 2 other blown engines (!) and won't have garage space to start tearing my engine down until next Wednesday or so, with results by Friday. I'll check back in as I get more info. Thanks again for the support, RL!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:29 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

is there any info on those other blown motors, what MY are they and cause? just curious.

good luck with your rebuild, I hope it all will work out well.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by hBomb
Update: no real news yet. Had a good call with the dealership today. They at least went to bat for an hour yesterday with FWS, trying (unsuccessfully) to talk them out of the teardown. They asked FWS "Is there anything a teardown would prove that we can't also prove with the boroscope, DME and service records that would affect the outcome of the claim?" FWS didn't have an answer for that one
Not impressed by the way FWS is handling this. I'll watch for the outcome but as of now it looks like they're trying to win a poker game with a lousy hand by throwing their weight around. I say this on the assumption of service records and DME scan not being issues.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:18 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Not impressed by the way FWS is handling this. I'll watch for the outcome but as of now it looks like they're trying to win a poker game with a lousy hand by throwing their weight around. I say this on the assumption of service records and DME scan not being issues.
What do you expect? They are an insurance company. Their job is to extract money from you and then deny claims, or throw up so many roadblocks that you will give up.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
What do you expect? They are an insurance company. Their job is to extract money from you and then deny claims, or throw up so many roadblocks that you will give up.
I understand all that. The reason I said what I did is that they have a pretty decent track record of paying up without too much hassle......until recently. My SA said they've become difficult to deal with lately and a couple of members here were denied coverage altogether when they tried to buy it for their 997's. Also fairly recently. Add it all up and a bean counter within Fidelity emerges, flagging the P-brand as not being profitable enough. One can guess...
Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd authorize them to teardown the engine to determine what caused the scoring. If you have followed the service maintenance interval and have documents to back it up. There is no way that you could be the reason for the scoring so they are on the hook for it.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:39 AM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

hBomb: I see you are in Chicago. Did you drive your 997 this last winter? I'm thinking about the cylinder scoring issues that some Cayennes have had in cold climates.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 AM
hBomb
Intermediate

I didn't ask about the other blown motors. I'll bring them up when I next talk to my service advisor and see what he says.

I've had a few other small claims, and FWS has been great. It's only that there is a $20K+ claim that they are being difficult.

I kept it in the garage during the -20 Polar Vortex, but I did drive it almost every day last winter, as it's my DD. I've only had the car a year, though...it spent the first 7 years of its life in San Francisco. My commute is long enough to get the oil up to 200, but not for very long. I made it a point to get out for an hour or so's drive up to temp / at speed on the weekends to burn off condensation etc.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

I heard comments of the oil not warming up fast enough and possibly causing bore scores in colder weather.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:00 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I heard comments of the oil not warming up fast enough and possibly causing bore scores in colder weather.
You'd think that with 0Wnothing oil that they put in these cars that it wouldn't be an issue. That said, I watch my oil temperature very carefully (I don't want to run it over 4000 RPM until it's well over 200 degrees) and I've noticed that the 991 takes its own sweet time getting warmed up.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 PM
dahlhana
AutoX

I am also very curious how everything goes with your repair and claim. I have a '06 c4s in Chicago that got cylinder scoring this past winter. According to Eurosport Racing (who has contacts with some of the most experienced Porsche repair shops in the US) there are at least 4 other people who has reported the same issue in the Midwest. I was offered the extended warranty (from CarMax) when I purchased the car, but declined it as I figured it was mostly a scam - I am now regretting this decision.

I am shipping the engine out to Hartech shortly - as it is significantly cheaper than repairing it within the US and I am hoping to prevent this failure in the future.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

What does it cost at hartech? Is there a detailed description of what they do in a rebuild?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:46 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
What does it cost at hartech? Is there a detailed description of what they do in a rebuild?
It looks like they have some prices listed on their website:

http://www.hartech.org/porsche_996_9...ds_prices.html
Old 07-17-2014, 12:19 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

about 18.5k pounds with a fully-'bulletproof' re-build

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just an observation, nothing more

I feel I need to make an observation. I am new to the 997 world, but not new to the Porsche brand (my 997.1 is the first water-cooled P-car I've owned). I've picked up on a trend where it seems like all the "doom and gloom" posts I encounter -- cylinder scoring, IMSB failure, RMS leaks, etc. -- seem to be written by folks who have very little to no history on these forums. Why is that?

I am not trying to marginalize the severity of these issues (and my apologies to those of you who have dealt with these problems), but why don't these problems seem to be happening in the same frequency to guys with thousands of posts? Again, this is just an observation, nothing more. I am not accusing anyone of any malicious intent.

Sean

Quick Reply: Cylinder scoring on 1 and 3