Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Tymong
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Window Tint

Yes, the front window!

I just got my Black on Black C2S.

Living in Texas, window tinting is pretty much a must.

I called one of the best places in town and they offer an "advanced Ceramic" tint that blocks UV and reduced heat by 82%.

Now for the fun part. They have the same tint in clear for the front windshield. It blocks UV and reduces heat by 70%.

It is called Solar Gard Ultra Performance

Since it is TX and I have a full leather dash, I am seriously considering it.
$200 just for the front windshield!!

Anyone out there have their front windshield tinted?
Good? bad?

Thanks
Ty
Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Not legal where I am. Check you local laws. With your firearm laws, I'm sure you will be fine.
I put a 35% ceramic tint on all my other windows. Love it. Wish I'd done it sooner.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Chaycek
Instructor

I did 50% on my windshield and 35% all the way around and they tried to sell me on the fancy stuff that's made for the windshield, but I just did normal tint.
Cost me $60 bucks for the windshield, best money ever spent.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tymong
Yes, the front window!

I just got my Black on Black C2S.

Living in Texas, window tinting is pretty much a must.

I called one of the best places in town and they offer an "advanced Ceramic" tint that blocks UV and reduced heat by 82%.

Now for the fun part. They have the same tint in clear for the front windshield. It blocks UV and reduces heat by 70%.

It is called Solar Gard Ultra Performance

Since it is TX and I have a full leather dash, I am seriously considering it.
$200 just for the front windshield!!

Anyone out there have their front windshield tinted?
Good? bad?

Thanks
Ty
What are you going to do about replacing the registration sticker every year (until next July I think you'll have two stickers to replace). I'd be worried about nicking the tint during removal.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Not legal where I am. Check you local laws.
Texas allows for clear UV film on the front windshield, anything tinted needs to be in the AS1 tint zone (top 5").
Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 PM
P911CS
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhilD
Texas allows for clear UV film on the front windshield, anything tinted needs to be in the AS1 tint zone (top 5").
Hmmmm this sounds appealing... Any particular brand? What do you ask for @ tint shop "UV film for windshield" ? Definitely a must in Far West Texas were it is a scorching 100 + degrees in the summer....
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I had it done on mine. 3M Crystalline, 70%, all around. Love it, and it works. Less glare, lower interior temps, not dark whatsoever, just slightly darker than factory.

Would recommend it.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just had entire car done. front windshield was 80% rear was 35 and 50 every where else. 100% not legal but i don't care since my car has carbon fiber all over the dash.

to be honest all that heat crap is non sense. this week was 102 here in New Orleans and i parked my car outside after the tint. Still hot with maybe less UV hitting everything.

drove car at night and 80% is enough where you can see everything. one downside is my polarized sunglasses are now affected. I don't have to wear them to be honest now the front is slightly tinted. total cost was $280 and i toss an extra 20 tip. downside is 997 windows have those stupid little black dots at the edge of the glass that prevents the tint from sitting.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
just had entire car done. front windshield was 80% rear was 35 and 50 every where else. 100% not legal but i don't care since my car has carbon fiber all over the dash.

to be honest all that heat crap is non sense. this week was 102 here in New Orleans and i parked my car outside after the tint. Still hot with maybe less UV hitting everything.

..... total cost was $280 and i toss an extra 20 tip. downside is 997 windows have those stupid little black dots at the edge of the glass that prevents the tint from sitting.
I'm curious as to what film product you chose. $280 is a great deal, seems relatively cheap, especially versus the 3M Crystalline used on mine. The interior of my car feels less warm after the film, and i live in a hot summer climate as well, maybe due to the quality of the film itself.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i've been getting window tint from this place for years. They use the high quality lifetime die free/metallic free 3m tint. Regular price would have been $350. I've had their tint on my cars that are parked outside for 4 years with no problem at all.

honestly i tinted the front windshield wasn't to reduce the heat, but to protect the dash from UV that could cause the dash to fade. I have a porsche dashboard cover that i'll probably use next time when i park in the sun. With my windows completely rolled up and car parked in the sun at 102 temperature, not much window tint going to be able to help with that level of heat. Now on the flip side i was parked in the shade the other day and it was 95 degrees outside, the interior was cool enough to hop in immediately.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by P911CS
Hmmmm this sounds appealing... Any particular brand? What do you ask for @ tint shop "UV film for windshield" ? Definitely a must in Far West Texas were it is a scorching 100 + degrees in the summer....
Yes, any window tint place will know what can be used on the windshield.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:49 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

OP said CLEAR windshield film...3M has one that only blocks IR(HEAT!).
Old 07-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Tymong
Track Day

The windshield "tint" is 100% clear. No color at all.

It is called Solar Gard Ultra Performance.

The lady said they cut out a square so you can replace your inspection and registration sticker.

Think I am going to give it a shot.

Car was so hot today I could barely touch the steering wheel and shifter. And, that was with a towel over both of them!

Ty
Old 07-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my windshield is tinted with solar guard in an effort to preserve my all leather dash as well here in south florida.

I only paid 100 bucks but I have a long past with the guy that owns the tint shop... It is 70% which he told me is the lightest (or at least the lightest he had)
Old 07-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Tymong
Track Day

Perk10,
How long have you had it?
Can you tell a heat difference?
Would you do it again?

Is it a pain to clean?

Thanks
Ty

Quick Reply: Front Window Tint