Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ding advice needed - what would u do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:21 PM
HWY1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ding advice needed - what would u do?

I have what most would consider a minor ding over a rear wheel well - pretty easily accessed. There is way too much info out there on who should fix it -- a mobile ding truck -- a body shop -- DIY (not comfortable with DIY)..

Any other car and i would ignore it.. but you know how it is.. its all i see now every time i walk by it.

Who should i get to fix it?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

If the ding is relatively shallow and does't have any sharp creases and there is no paint damage, I'd go with a reputable mobile paintless dent removal service. I've had several similar dings over the years, and some of these guys are magicians.

If you've got damaged paint, you may want to consider a body shop or ignore it. In my experience, many body shops want to paint the entire panel and blend it out - especially if a metallic color. That gets expensive.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 PM
toper
Advanced

pics?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 PM
HWY1
AutoX

no paint damage - tried to get a pic, too dark to get a good angle, didn't show anything. Thx
Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 PM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

PDR for sure. This happened at the same spot on my Boxster years ago and it came out perfectly...
Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pro dent removers who also work for dealers are quite good. They are independent and often are there on given days or will come to you.

I agree that they can be magicians. I just had my mom's BMW done. 75 bucks per ding. One was quite sharp. Completely gone.

I did have one airbrush and blend paint one time. Was flawless.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 PM
HWY1
AutoX

Really appreciate the feedback
Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're unsure of which PDR guy to go to in your area, use Yelp. Find the highest rated 5 star guy on yelp with a few hundred reviews and have him do the work.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I remembered seeing a posting from WorkHurts about his good results with PDR a while back: Here is a link to his post if it helps make you feel better about the PDR approach: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-question.html

We can't see your location, but if you shared it someone might know of a reputable PDR place in your area.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 PM
HWY1
AutoX

I'm in Orinda, CA - just East of San Fran
Old 06-30-2014, 11:44 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

A reputable member here and locally to the Bay Area, schedules an annual dent removal event with these guys for us rennlisters for the past 20 years or so: - event day, prices are discounted

You can search the posts under the western region forum area...

DentPro at 1436 White Oaks Rd, Unit 5, Campbell, CA

I had 1 ding removed and it was a simple easy fix. Perhaps other Bay Area members can provide their experiences as well.

Good people, great work.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 AM
normster
Cruisin'

Not sure if it is misinformation, but I read that on a 997, you have to drill a hole in the wheel well in order to get to the ding/dent on the rear fender area for PDR. Is that true? I have a small ding that almost no one notices (except for me), that I want fixed. But if it requires drilling a hole, I rather leave it.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by normster
Not sure if it is misinformation, but I read that on a 997, you have to drill a hole in the wheel well in order to get to the ding/dent on the rear fender area for PDR. Is that true? I have a small ding that almost no one notices (except for me), that I want fixed. But if it requires drilling a hole, I rather leave it.
That is true, at least that was the case with my ding- it was on the rear quarter panel fender just above the rear driver wheel. They had to drill a small hole inside the wheel well to access and fix the ding/dent: everything has been fine on my car 2 years out now
Old 07-01-2014, 01:16 AM
normster
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vg247
That is true, at least that was the case with my ding- it was on the rear quarter panel fender just above the rear driver wheel. They had to drill a small hole inside the wheel well to access and fix the ding/dent: everything has been fine on my car 2 years out now
If that's the case, I think I'll leave it.

How did they fill the hole they drilled after the repair was finished? Bondo?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by normster
If that's the case, I think I'll leave it.

How did they fill the hole they drilled after the repair was finished? Bondo?
I think he's talking the plastic above the wheel. They have to get in behind a panel to do PDR and I assume it would be a tiny hole that they fill with a plastic plug. It's just plastic in an area you'll never see. I wouldn't let it stop you from fixing a ding that bothers you in the actual sheet metal.

Quick Reply: ding advice needed - what would u do?