Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Hear About Your First Porsche 911 Experience!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

I've always wanted a porsche. When I built my house in 2011 I specifically added an extra garage stall that would be reserved for one. I've always loved cars but neither of my parents nor any of my aunts, uncles, or anyone else that I knew were into cars.

Fast forward to last year and I had my pick of cars at exotics racing in Las Vegas at the racetrack. I passed up all the ferrari's and lamborghini for something that I had a remote possibility of owning. I took a 2011 porsche turbo s out for 5 laps around the track. Top 5 highlight of my life. I drove an audi r8 right afterward for 5 laps and instantly started regretting not doing the porsche for 10 laps instead.

Maybe I shouldn't have taken out a $172,000 car as my first Porsche! Now it's all I can think about.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

All of these stories have been so entertaining that I feel I should embellish more.

After being a "911 baby" I grew up riding in my Mom's MB 420SEL. When we moved from CT to Atlanta, my parents suddenly decided that BMW was the new marque to have. We had a few 5 series, an X5, Z3 and a 740iL. Like someone else mentioned on the first page, these BMW's helped me develop my love for cars at such a young age.

At the age of six I can remember going out to the garage to our brand new black 5 series and cleaning the windows with windex and also wiping any fingerprints off of the paint. The smell of the new BMW leather in the early 90's was intoxicating and I truly appreciated luxury at a young age. When I was about 10, knowing that my Dad used to have multiple Porsches that I couldn't really remember, I asked him to stop at the local dealer which he did. The salesman pulled around in a 993 C2 and we took a ride. I remember being scrunched in the back and all I could think of was the sound and how bad I wanted to ride in it to school every day!

Needless to say, he didn't buy. Good news was that my best friend in high school's Mom drove a 2001 C2 followed by a 2003 C4S. Although we rarely got to drive either of them (but as we got older we eventually would race her C4S against my E46 M3 and I beat it every time). The thing was, even though my M3 was faster off the line, I much appreciated the cockpit feel of the Porsche. I felt like I was sitting IN it and not ON it if that makes sense. As I became more and more of a Porsche fan, something huge happened...

....The release of the 997!! Holy ****!!! I remember obsessing over it. It had the beauty of the 993 that I remembered and loved the retro styling but was the best built Porsche 911 to date. I knew I had to have one. When I was in the showroom buying my E46 M3, there was a very slightly pre-owned launch car sitting there with the aero kit. I was driving myself nuts because I knew that's what I REALLY wanted but couldn't afford it at the time.

Ever since then I have watched the 997 market closely and always tried to have a car in line to purchase when I was "ready" for the most part. When I listed my M3 for sale and it unexpectedly sold in less than a week, I already had the car for me picked out. Called up the seller and had it shipped all the way from Oxnard, CA to Naples, FL. The things we do for our love of cars, right?!

Quick Reply: Let's Hear About Your First Porsche 911 Experience!