Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 997.2 C2 or C4 PDK vs. 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack and Recaros

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

OP if you can do it I suggest you get both cars. A V8/flat-6 pair will scratch just about every itch.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bpang1
I'm also open to the 997.1 or the 996...those would give me even more headroom. Though I wouldn't have PDK as an option and would likely go manual unless I was happy with the Tiptronic during the test drive.
If the .1 is an S, the Tiptronic is plenty fun, IMO. Having driven manuals for 20 years, and sharing with the wife 3 cars with so-called manual-mode transmissions, the Tip is nice.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 PM
bpang1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Something you haven't mentioned is how you intend to use the car. Is it a daily driver?

I would consider a completely different approach. Keep the WRX as a daily driver, wait another year, put enough funds aside and buy the Porsche in 2016. The Porsche would then serve as the fun car and occasional track day. No one at work would no any better, you don't risk the "stigma" that definitely comes with owning a Porsche and your maintenance on the Porsche spreads out considerably since it's not used daily.
Sorry my bad. It will be my "most days" car. Most of my opportunities to drive on fun roads are actually during the work week not during the weekend. A lot of the places I drive to can be gotten to on really fun roads. On the weekends I drive my other car a 2011 Forester...because most of my family activities are on the weekend. I would also drive that Forester during the winter.

So I guess my usage is kind of flipped from what a lot of others do.

Originally Posted by Para82

Now as for your question new Mustang GT or 997. I choose 997 solely on the fact that the new Mustang GT will be on every corner. Now if they came out with a BOSS 429 or Shelby GT350 then I would consider that over a 997 but not a Mustang GT no.
That is how I am feeling too...there will be SO MANY of the new Mustang GT running around. I find myself caring less and less about "the stigma" people might have about me pulling up in a 911. Besides, I have my other car if I am really going somewhere that they might care about it.

Originally Posted by Chrono
If the .1 is an S, the Tiptronic is plenty fun, IMO. Having driven manuals for 20 years, and sharing with the wife 3 cars with so-called manual-mode transmissions, the Tip is nice.
Thank you sir! I was wondering about what someone that is more used to manual would think about the tiptronic...I am not against finding a 997.1 equipped better than I would want to pay for a 997.2
Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM
P911CS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Something you haven't mentioned is how you intend to use the car. Is it a daily driver?

I would consider a completely different approach. Keep the WRX as a daily driver, wait another year, put enough funds aside and buy the Porsche in 2016. The Porsche would then serve as the fun car and occasional track day. No one at work would no any better, you don't risk the "stigma" that definitely comes with owning a Porsche and your maintenance on the Porsche spreads out considerably since it's not used daily.
+ 1 for the above post..
This is exactly what I did... kept my C 350 as my DD, and use my 911 as the fun/weekend car.... Unfortunately for some of us, taking it to work will draw stigma/ haters...
I also thought about maintenance and figured using it less would spread out the cost considerably
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

It's certain that the new Mustang will outperform some varieties of older Porsche in situations where sheer horsepower matters. After a day of blasting around in the Mustang and leaping from adrenaline peak to adrenaline peak, I can think of only one problem with it:

At the end of that fantastic day, when you pull into your garage, you'll be parking a Mustang, not a Porsche. And if that isn't all the reason you need for buying the Porsche, you probably shouldn't have one.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
At the end of that fantastic day, when you pull into your garage, you'll be parking a Mustang, not a Porsche. And if that isn't all the reason you need for buying the Porsche, you probably shouldn't have one.

+1

And worse, somebody might see you driving the Mustang.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Everytime i see a mustang i wonder if it's a good one or a rental car. At least with the 911 you know it's the good one...
Old 07-01-2014, 03:35 AM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
It's certain that the new Mustang will outperform some varieties of older Porsche in situations where sheer horsepower matters. After a day of blasting around in the Mustang and leaping from adrenaline peak to adrenaline peak, I can think of only one problem with it:

Or some mustangs will outperform about any Porsche in any situation, but meh, that's just semantics I guess. There is a Nissan out there too that will smash most supercars 3-4x it's cost in almost any situation as well. We should ignore it because it's a Nissan.

Originally Posted by Smitten
+1

And worse, somebody might see you driving the Mustang.
Oh noes. Someone will see me driving my Mustang. The horror. Frankly I'd prefer less people saw me driving it. A grabber blue GT500 garners a lot more attention around these parts then a 911. You can literally get lost in the swarm of 911's all over beverly hills. There is a reason I bought a 911 to serve as a daily driver. Less attention.

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
Everytime i see a mustang i wonder if it's a good one or a rental car. At least with the 911 you know it's the good one...
The good ones are covered in Cobras or Boss decals.

I know these are enthusiast forums but why does every car forum eventually devolve to this kind of mentality? It's nonsense. I love my GT500, I love my Gallardo and I love my 911. They're all great and for different reasons. They all scratch an itch for me. So it's not your cup of tea, fine. Why disparage brands of vehicles with uneducated and outdated opinions? It's the same on every forum. BMW guys bash Mercedes. Ferrari guys bash Lamborghini. We're enthusiasts and we're enthusiastic. No reason to bash other makes of vehicles in order to get your point across.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:43 AM
One911
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have to ask this question get the mustang first the porsche will always be there.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ezkill
Or some mustangs will outperform about any Porsche in any situation, but meh, that's just semantics I guess. There is a Nissan out there too that will smash most supercars 3-4x it's cost in almost any situation as well. We should ignore it because it's a Nissan.

Oh noes. Someone will see me driving my Mustang. The horror. Frankly I'd prefer less people saw me driving it. A grabber blue GT500 garners a lot more attention around these parts then a 911. You can literally get lost in the swarm of 911's all over beverly hills. There is a reason I bought a 911 to serve as a daily driver. Less attention.

The good ones are covered in Cobras or Boss decals.

I know these are enthusiast forums but why does every car forum eventually devolve to this kind of mentality? It's nonsense. I love my GT500, I love my Gallardo and I love my 911. They're all great and for different reasons. They all scratch an itch for me. So it's not your cup of tea, fine. Why disparage brands of vehicles with uneducated and outdated opinions? It's the same on every forum. BMW guys bash Mercedes. Ferrari guys bash Lamborghini. We're enthusiasts and we're enthusiastic. No reason to bash other makes of vehicles in order to get your point across.
+1

My Boss only get driven on the street when I don't mind the extra attention, thumbs up, comments or worse being followed on the highway (minivans literally doing 100mph behind me to catch up and get a better look.) It's a car that gets people excited. My 911 gets plenty of nice comments, but i've never really seen anybody go nuts over it. It's not a Mclaren P1 like some of us here seem to think.

When you see a real Boss or Shelby in person...there is no wondering.

As for other brand owners bashing other cars, it's all too common unfortunately and kind of narrow minded I think. A co-worker who owns a Lamborghini says he will never own a Porsche because he doesn't want to be associated with the owners of Boxsters and Caymans...he feels it's too common. His loss.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 AM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

Hmm. I'm hearing a bit of sensitivity here. Really, who cares what anyone drives as long as you're happy with what you're driving. Lighten up, guys, they're all good.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

He asked for our personal opinion so that's what he's getting. Now all the mustang owners are getting upset because we are "bashing their brand". Classic...
Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
He asked for our personal opinion so that's what he's getting. Now all the mustang owners are getting upset because we are "bashing their brand". Classic...
Well I am very upset. Stayed up all night thinking about it and then had a good cry. Feeling better now though.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:00 PM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Para82
Well I am very upset. Stayed up all night thinking about it and then had a good cry. Feeling better now though.
Now there's a man who keeps things in perspective!
Old 07-01-2014, 05:32 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 299 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill
+1 I never understood that mentality either.

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2 C2 or C4 PDK vs. 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack and Recaros