Sponsored by:

Buzzing/Whining noise when releasing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buzzing/Whining noise when releasing clutch

I have a 2011 C4S and it has about 9k miles on it. I had a clutch switch replaced previously as there was an issue with the car not starting at times that was blamed on a faulty switch. Since that time when I release the clutch I hear a small whine, almost a buzzing from the lower footwell area. It goes away as revs climb, or perhaps I can't hear it due to the noise.

It definitely isn't metal on metal and is not a friction noise, but rather an almost "electrical" sounding buzz. I searched and can say it is not a rattling exhaust shield, does not sound like as somebody described a gasping cow.

Anybody else experience this?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it go away immediately if you depress the clutch back in? Do you feel anything in the pedal when the sound is the loudest?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Originally Posted by su_maverick
Does it go away immediately if you depress the clutch back in? Do you feel anything in the pedal when the sound is the loudest?
I don't feel anything at all in the pedal. Yes. It does go away if the clutch is depressed. Immediately. It starts as soon as you start moving and is apparent at slow speeds. It could continue at high speeds but it is so faint you would not hear it.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

And its apparent that it is coming from the front of the cabin and not the back?

I always try to rule out the most expensive things first that could be making the sounds pilot/throwout bearings and go from there.

Mechanically, I think that would rule out anything drivetrain related past the gearbox as there would still be movement right after the clutch is depressed. Sometimes bearings that go a little dry can make a whirring sound but not at the rattle stage yet. It might not be that at all but, like I said, its best to rule out the costly stuff for piece of mind.

Im a little at a loss unless the sound location could be better specified. All I can say is that if you ever start to feel shaking/vibration in the clutch to have it looked at immediately.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

And its apparent that it is coming from the front of the cabin and not the back? I always try to rule out the most expensive things first that could be making the sounds pilot/throwout bearings and go from there. Mechanically, I think that would rule out anything drivetrain related past the gearbox as there would still be movement right after the clutch is depressed. Sometimes bearings that go a little dry can make a whirring sound but not at the rattle stage yet. It might not be that at all but, like I said, its best to rule out the costly stuff for piece of mind. Im a little at a loss unless the sound location could be better specified. All I can say is that if you ever start to feel shaking/vibration in the clutch to have it looked at immediately.
Thanks. Definitely no vibration. It is definitely from the front of the cabin also. I will probably bring it in to the dealer.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:22 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Davidoconn
Thanks. Definitely no vibration. It is definitely from the front of the cabin also. I will probably bring it in to the dealer.
Good luck and let us know what it is. Might help out the next guy.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Good luck and let us know what it is. Might help out the next guy.
I went to the dealer today and they replicated the noise however the soonest they can take me is a few weeks out. The service writer claims he never heard a noise like it before however can rule out a throw out bearing. The noise starts as soon as the clutch is let out. There is no strange clutch feedback. It sounds almost like a buzzing or rubber band stretching for lack of better description. I will update once it is all done.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

on my vr6 was clutch bearing.. Not sure how the clutch is on these
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

I went to the dealer today and they replicated the noise however the soonest they can take me is a few weeks out. The service writer claims he never heard a noise like it before however can rule out a throw out bearing. The noise starts as soon as the clutch is let out. There is no strange clutch feedback. It sounds almost like a buzzing or rubber band stretching for lack of better description. I will update once it is all done.
Now Im really curious. It has me stumped.

Have you thought about asking these idiots: http://www.cartalk.com/

They love hard to figure out problems.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP- Did they found what the issue was?

Quick Reply: Buzzing/Whining noise when releasing clutch