Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used My Collapsible Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:16 PM
P911CS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity for a nail (not near side wall of course) what would be best Fix a Flat can of aerosol or Slime? I believe both of them say they do not damage TPMS, just want to know what would be best. I would much rather use that as a first option than a collapsible tire for a nail.
Thanks for advice.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:22 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P911CS
Just out of curiosity for a nail (not near side wall of course) what would be best Fix a Flat can of aerosol or Slime? I believe both of them say they do not damage TPMS, just want to know what would be best. I would much rather use that as a first option than a collapsible tire for a nail.
Thanks for advice.
The flat fix is easier because if you buy the big can for trucks, it puts in the sealer, but also serves as a compressor. In most cases, you won't need to break out your air compressor. I carry both, plus a spare. I guess I'm just paranoid! We love to take off on weekend road trips, and that's when you are most vulnerable.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend a tire plug kit like the picture below. They sell for less than $10 at most major auto supply stores. I keep one in my frunk just in case. I prefer to use this method over the slime in a can, especially when I can locate the source of the leak.

Sean
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I keep all of the above: p-spare kit, plug kit, FaF, and slime.just gives me more options to chose from to cover all situations. FaF and slime are typically my last resort.... Used it once several yrs ago for a quick fix so that we could still make it to a ball game in time. It made a 2" wide slimy mess on the inside of my wheel well. Basically sprayed FaF goop out of the hole made by the metal debris shank that had dug into my tire. I spent a good hour cleaning out the inside of my wheel liner then another hour cleaning the goop off my exhaust where it was baked on. It got us where we needed to go on time but of all the options available... It is my last go to. BTW leave the nail in the tire if you have to go this route.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:26 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sniff
I would recommend a tire plug kit like the picture below. They sell for less than $10 at most major auto supply stores. I keep one in my frunk just in case. I prefer to use this method over the slime in a can, especially when I can locate the source of the leak.

Sean
Carry a pair of side cutters (wire cutters) if you use a plug kit. I worked in a service station when I was a kid and plugged hundreds of tires. You have to cut the plug down below the level of the tread, or the friction from the road will tear the plug out and you will have a flat again.

Quick Reply: Used My Collapsible Spare Tire