Cabriolet hard top piece?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabriolet hard top piece?

Hey everyone,

AS ALWAYS I have a question hoping you guys could answer for me...

As I'm looking at 997s I found a 2006 cab with what appears to be a removable targa top (or something along those lines)

Here's the listing:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...72123881&Log=0

Is that something that could be added to any cab? What's involved exactly and does anyone have any personal experience with it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:17 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car you linked to appears to have an aftermarket Targa-style top which I am not familiar with. There is an available hard top for the 997, but it looks more like a Coupe than a targa when installed. The factory hard top is guaranteed to fit, and you see them come up for sale once in awhile. They were about $3000 new, and I think the 996 and 997 use the same hard top.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:11 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks interesting. I am sure you can find something like that for just about any cab. I have not considered a hard top. I usually run top down when warm. Top up when cold/hot. I leave it in the garage for bad weather. But that top is kind of cool, real close to the targa.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
That looks interesting. I am sure you can find something like that for just about any cab. I have not considered a hard top. I usually run top down when warm. Top up when cold/hot. I leave it in the garage for bad weather. But that top is kind of cool, real close to the targa.
That's what i'm thinking. The 911 will most likely be my only vehicle and living in CT I really want a hard top for bad weather if possible...

I had no desire to have a convertible but my friend just got a Boxster and every time I go out with him it tempts me more and more.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

30 MINUTES TO INSTALL THE TOP?

"Ain't nobody got time for that."

If you want the option of putting the top down, get a hardtop. Should be able to find one used.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems pricey for an 06 with that mileage - new engine and strange top aside...
Old 06-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbenz1
Seems pricey for an 06 with that mileage - new engine and strange top aside...
Agreed. I'm not interested in that particular car but I hadn't seen a hardtop/convertible option like that yet so I was curious.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:48 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

I've seen an advertisement for that thing somewhere. I think it may have been in Excellence magazine. I'm assuming the 30 minute install refers to the entire thing being mounted to the car. Not for the removable pieces to open up the top. If you're interested in a hard top, you should be able to find a used one from a 996 for less than a grand and then have it converted to fit your 997. But, the soft top works just fine in the winter time. I'm not really sure what the advantage is to having a hard top. The soft top isn't cold and it has rear defroster glass.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet hard top piece?