Sponsored by:

Nail in tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:23 PM
P911CS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PasPar2
why the super high pressure? are you checking it hot, right after a skidpad run?
?
Ok guys just checked
Fronts 39 psi
Backs: drivers side 44 psi, Passenger (nail) 40 psi,

No TPMS warning. Will drive around town for a while see how it reacts, buy patching kit, and then hit the road.

Yes, pressure was high tech figures top it off and put it a little higher than recommended since he expected leak/fluctuation.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:29 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how that goes.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by P911CS
Ok guys just checked
Fronts 39 psi
Backs: drivers side 44 psi, Passenger (nail) 40 psi,

No TPMS warning. Will drive around town for a while see how it reacts, buy patching kit, and then hit the road.

Yes, pressure was high tech figures top it off and put it a little higher than recommended since he expected leak/fluctuation.
To clarify, I said "patch kit" from a freudian slip, but what you really need is a plug kit. A temporary plug can be inserted on the side of the road, but you need to take the tire off the rim for a proper patch. Patch > plug, but a plug will keep you driving, too. If it's more than 1" from the corner, there shouldn't be an issue using either a patch or a plug.

I've driven my Porsche in countless autocrosses and even a time trial with a patch; there may be some small loss of strength, but if you're only taking a 186mph tire to 120mph, you're not really stressing it too badly, ya know?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:23 AM
P911CS
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
To clarify, I said "patch kit" from a freudian slip, but what you really need is a plug kit. A temporary plug can be inserted on the side of the road, but you need to take the tire off the rim for a proper patch. Patch > plug, but a plug will keep you driving, too. If it's more than 1" from the corner, there shouldn't be an issue using either a patch or a plug.

I've driven my Porsche in countless autocrosses and even a time trial with a patch; there may be some small loss of strength, but if you're only taking a 186mph tire to 120mph, you're not really stressing it too badly, ya know?
Understood...
Well I made the 300 plus miles trip back home without any incident psi on tire fluctuated +/- 4 throughout trip, but again, it was all good. However I should mention I was driving slow on the highway for precautionary measures (80 - 85 mph's vs. my 100 - 110 mph when I know everything is flawless).
I topped it off at Discount Tire before the trip and tech did recommend I replace tire due to nail and bump on sidewall (what he attributed to detachment secondary to a hard hit, perhaps a curb ?)
Regardless like people have been saying ~ 12K miles and 65% tread, its almost time to replace the Rear tires anyway..
Next question is... Will there be any problems replacing the rear tires with MPSS while I have MPS2's up front (they have 85% tread so I think I should hold off on replacing them)?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad to hear you made it! Sucks you still need to replace the tire, though.

In before the OH MY GOD ITS NOT N RATED YOU'LL DIE!! REPLACE ALL 4!!!

The danger of different front and rear is that the car can unpredictably change between understeer and oversteer as conditions change, like if you're used to understeer in all conditions and get to that one mix of rain/heat/surface/etc that the MPS2 outgrips the MPSS and SURPRISE you're facing backwards. That's more an issue mixing tires of different category types, though; MPSS and MPS2 are very similar tires, and you're not likely to have any issues at all.

Though my personal opinion is both MPS2 and MPSS are overpriced for the performance you get and you should be looking at actual high performance summer tires like Hankook RS-3 v2. (Though that may lead to the above situation if you don't change all 4, you could probably replace all 4 for the price of a pair of MPSS)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 AM
P911CS
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Glad to hear you made it! Sucks you still need to replace the tire, though.

In before the OH MY GOD ITS NOT N RATED YOU'LL DIE!! REPLACE ALL 4!!!

The danger of different front and rear is that the car can unpredictably change between understeer and oversteer as conditions change, like if you're used to understeer in all conditions and get to that one mix of rain/heat/surface/etc that the MPS2 outgrips the MPSS and SURPRISE you're facing backwards. That's more an issue mixing tires of different category types, though; MPSS and MPS2 are very similar tires, and you're not likely to have any issues at all.

Though my personal opinion is both MPS2 and MPSS are overpriced for the performance you get and you should be looking at actual high performance summer tires like Hankook RS-3 v2. (Though that may lead to the above situation if you don't change all 4, you could probably replace all 4 for the price of a pair of MPSS)

Sjfehr,
Thanks for the response. I'll stick to MPS2 so that I only have to replace Rears, Fronts are @ 85% tread so I want to keep them longer, get my money's worth. Then I'll go all 4. I've had MPSS (granted it was on a 370 Z) and I love how sticky they are, even though they are pricey, so that will probably be my next set. Haven't research Hankook RS-3 v2, but i'll definitely look into those.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by P911CS
Understood...
Well I made the 300 plus miles trip back home without any incident psi on tire fluctuated +/- 4 throughout trip, but again, it was all good. However I should mention I was driving slow on the highway for precautionary measures (80 - 85 mph's vs. my 100 - 110 mph when I know everything is flawless).
I topped it off at Discount Tire before the trip and tech did recommend I replace tire due to nail and bump on sidewall (what he attributed to detachment secondary to a hard hit, perhaps a curb ?)
Regardless like people have been saying ~ 12K miles and 65% tread, its almost time to replace the Rear tires anyway..
Next question is... Will there be any problems replacing the rear tires with MPSS while I have MPS2's up front (they have 85% tread so I think I should hold off on replacing them)?
You should have a qualified tire shop remove the tire from the wheel & see if the tire is repairable, Unless it has a bubble on the sidewall, these are caused by damage to the inner airtight rubber liner being damagedusually from a impact break! When a nail etc goes in a tire close to the sidewall often the other end will contact the sidewall & damage it further by cutting the sidewall inner liner.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

On a daily driver that is not tracked, there is absolutely no reason you should not feel comfortable plugging a tire if the puncture is on the tread surface and not very close to the sidewall.

If you have enough tread on the tire that you feel driving on it is safe, then driving on it with a plug will be safe, too.

Sending a tire to the landfill that has 65% of its tread remaining, just becasue it's had a minor puncture on the tread is fiscally and environmentally irresponsible.

You will ALWAYS be able to find someone on this forum who will recommend replacing all four tires just because you hit a speed bump. Just because someone wants to take "better safe than sorry" to the absolute extreme (with your money) doesn't mean that that's the advice you should take.

BTW, I routinely get 4-5 psi fluctuations at individual corners when I drive. I don't know how sensitive or accurate my TPMS is, but I can take a highway on-ramp at high speed and the outside tires will register a temporarily higher psi than the inside tires just from the higher friction on that side, I guess. At any given time, if I start in the garage with exactly the same reading from side to side, I will rarely have the same reading from side to side if I check the pressures as I'm driving. I would not attribute small fluctuations in pressures just to the fact that there was a plug in a tire.

Now, how you got 11k miles out of a rear tire and still have 65% of your tread left is beyond me. I am lucky to get 10k ouf of a set of rears (Michelin Sport Cup, Hankook Ventus) and I drive ONLY on the street. You must drive like the proverbial old lady.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

First, PM sent in response to yours.

Second, how big was the nail and where on the tire was the puncture? For comparison, on my old '08 C2S I picked up a long and large screw (think something like a 2 inch deck screw but a little thicker). I had a local service station patch it but the tire would not hold air as the patch must have been in a part of the tire that flexed under any load and it just would not seal, plus the damage was substantial. The patch would hold air for about 5 or six hours while parked and I suspect a lot less time while driving - I only got it in the hopes that I would not have to flat bed the car to the tire shop; with the screw in the tire the leak was relatively slow but I wanted it out so as not to damage the rim. The plug worked fine in that it allowed me to order new tires and drive to the tire shop (when I had lugged wheels) to get two new rears put on (I didn't do any driving on it other than that). The picture below is of the tire. The hole is as bad as it looks, you can see what is left of the plug and the tire splitting around it. Also, I know, I know, I know the tire was fried before the puncture.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Local Porsche dealer, Not recommending a plug?
I always like those answers. Can't plug? why?
1. not allowed to?
2. don't want to?
3. want to really sell you a new tire?
4. must have your car in absolutely new condition regardless of cost?

I have a jack, a lug wrench, tire slime, plugs, 2x4 to get my car high enough to get the jack under, and 2 air compressors in my frunk. And a CAA/AAA card just in case.
MacGyver would be pleased.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mander
My local dealer won't patch or plug any tire regardless of where the nail is. They say Porsche doesn't allow it. They do recommend a local tire shop that does it if the shop feels it is safe.

In my case the nail was in the center of the tread. The tire shop felt it was safe and did plug it for $25. This was on a tire with under 1,000 miles. So far so good.

On a rear tire with 11,000 I would just replace both and be thankful I got that many miles out of them - I certainly never have.
Your experience matches mine.

The Porsche dealer no longer patches/plugs tires. A nearby Honda dealer did but the general manager put a stop to any of the associated dealers fixing any tires. (All the dealers along this section of road, maybe 6 dealers, are owned by one corporation.)

However, the Porsche dealer sent me to a local tire shop that has fixed several tires for me.

One rear tire the tech told me that because the nail was so close to the sidewall he believed the tire was not fixable, but attempted a fix with the understanding I should keep an eye on the pressure.

Well, he was right. The hole was too close to the sidewall and the patch didn't hold with all the flexing.

Oh, I wanted to add that as long as the tire is otherwise in good shape and the hole not too close to the sidewall and not too big (under 1/4" is a size I picked up somewhere) I have no problem patching a tire (that is having it patched). A patch is preferable to a plug I've been told. I've had several tires on both my Boxster and Turbo fixed with a patch and never had any problems, other than that one time as I covered above when the hole proved to be too close to the sidewall.

Quick Reply: Nail in tire