Question regarding PPI

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question regarding PPI

Hey everyone,

As always, you guys are incredibly helpful in answering my questions so i'm back for more!

One major thing that i've learned here and reading elsewhere is to make sure I get a PPI before buying my 911.

Is this necessary even if the car is at a Porsche dealer? I would imagine if it's a CPO car they would have done this already and could just show me the results? Or is it worth having done again?

It may be a dumb question but both the Porsche dealers i've talked to said "we inspect the cars you don't need to worry about a PPI" but I would kind of expect them to say that either way (it is sales after all).

Opinions?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 AM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was CPO and I didn't, but that was because I had to pick up out of state, on a Saturday so no shops were open. Also didn't really find any independent shops around the dealer (Columbia SC), so I took a risk. Did talk a lot with the manager and it was a one owner car, previous owner was an older lady in her late 50s and it was her daily driver, so I decided to take a risk.

But, I would recommend you do a PPI regardless of CPO, there has been horrible stories befoe on here even with a CPO car (GTS from Beverly Hills Porsche for example)
Old 06-06-2014, 11:18 AM
iammulva
Racer

Yes - get a PPI. You are on the opposite side of the dealer on this transaction. Their best interest and your best interest may be overlapping, but are not identical. It's money well spent and you'll know going in what, if any, things you'll have to address, or you'll at least be informed of them. Good to have just for informational purposes. Was for me anyway.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a 997 S myself from my local Porsche dealer, although it's an 05 so too old to be a CPO. It was a local trade-in, 1 owner who had bought it from them originally, and always serviced there so they were able to print out the entire service history for me. They did the 40k major service for me and a full inspection and I asked them specifically to look for any sign of oil leaks around the RMS\IMS area and to cut open the oil filter and look for any metal particles. They found nothing wrong so I considered that a sufficient PPI. I also negotiated for a 60 day full warranty and I'm going to take it to an independent shop and have the 3rd front radiator installed and have them inspect the car too while I have the active warranty.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by iammulva
Yes - get a PPI. You are on the opposite side of the dealer on this transaction. Their best interest and your best interest may be overlapping, but are not identical. It's money well spent and you'll know going in what, if any, things you'll have to address, or you'll at least be informed of them. Good to have just for informational purposes. Was for me anyway.
Thank you. Also (this is a dumb question given what you just said but here goes) should I have the PPI done somewhere ELSE? The few times i've asked they have offered to do an inspection for me at the Porsche dealer but given what you said about our interests "overlapping" would this not be a good move?

I have someone I REALLY trust to do this type of thing but he's almost 2 and a half hours away from wherever i'll be buying the car which makes it difficult.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

Do the PPI any other place, not from the dealer you buying at.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Do the PPI any other place, not from the dealer you buying at.
That's what I figured... i'll have to find someone trustworthy in Connecticut. I've only lived here 4 years and I've had a lease that's been serviced at the dealer the entire time.

I guess that will be my next thread
Old 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Always do a PPI, your CPO could have been certified six months back, a lot could happen in six months. It's best to do it at another dealer. Talk to the mechanic that will do your PPI and asked for his opinion. I've got a lot out of my PPI.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

+1... get a PPI from a reputable indy. Just post a request on RL. Someone will point you to the right indy near the dealer. BTW, here's 53 pages of why you should get a PPI. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html FWIW, my car had original warranty(1.5 yrs) and CPO(2 yrs)... but I'm so glad I still had the PPI performed by an indy even though the dealer kept pressuring me that the PPI was unnecessary. My indy found a broken tail pipe and a leaking RMS. I had those issues serviced/replaced as a condition of the sale. In the end I used their grand standing of their supposed 121+ point inspection, the extended warranty, nothing to worry about, blah-blah-blah, to negotiate the price down even further. We've seen some p-dealers use the CPO as a marketing tool to move some less than desirable p-cars. GL.

Quick Reply: Question regarding PPI