Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm stuck on side of road. Engine lost power at 50 mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 4S and never had an issue with fuel gauge. I've even ran it till the dash says 5 miles to empty. The light always comes on right on time as well. I always do fill up though when I do get gas. Another trick I learned is to hold the nozzle at 9 o'clock to get all the fuel in.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

RaidersR1... the issue for AWD 997's is adding small am'ts of fuel when very low on fuel. It won't register and it is acknowledged to be true by Porsche. Filling up an AWD 997 eliminates this issue.

Low fuel calcs and miles to empty calcs on AWD 997's are done with computer assumptions and not with any feedback from the sensor/sender in the tank... because of the split tank courtesy of the drive shaft. Sensor/Sender is useless when AWD tank is low on fuel.

(Note: this has become a hi-jack as I have a 997 S. Nonetheless, it is good for peeps to know).
Old 06-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So if the OP did fill the tank fully last time to the pump, its not that it was a partial fill that got the computer to stick on its calculations, but likely a fuel sensor failure, yes?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
So if the OP did fill the tank fully last time to the pump, its not that it was a partial fill that got the computer to stick on its calculations, but likely a fuel sensor failure, yes?
It's likely one of three things.
Bad sender
Bad gauge
Bad calibration

If you have to change the sender, you will likely need to re calibrate the sender and gauge.

Quick Reply: I'm stuck on side of road. Engine lost power at 50 mph