Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Potential disadvantages to a Targa? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/815344-potential-disadvantages-to-a-targa.html)

Collin Chapin 05-15-2014 03:08 PM

Potential disadvantages to a Targa?

Hey everyone,

I have always wanted a 911 and now that I can finally afford one I'm presented with the exciting/daunting task of finding out WHICH 911 I want!!

I originally thought I wanted a 996 Turbo (I don't really want to spend over 50k and I can't find many 997 Turbos in that price range) but after driving one compared to a 997 C4, I REALLY liked the C4.

Something about the sound of the Turbo plus the turbo lag itself (which is apparently improved on the 997) I just didn't like.

ANYWAYS!! I was curious... what would be considered a negative aspect to the Targa?

I'm assuming there's more weight because of the mechanism that moves the roof and i'm OK with that.

Aside from that, anything I should be aware of?

I'm looking at most likely an 06/07 C4/4S and it seems I can find it sometimes in a Targa as well. I'm quite tempted by the idea but I have plenty of time before I buy and i'm looking to evaluate all the possible aspects of this purchase.

THANK YOU in advance! :):cheers:

PasPar2 05-15-2014 03:21 PM

Targas are rare, heaviest in the NA line, prone to rattles and are the step child in the resale market. If you are specifically looking for one, I'd say expect to pay more...

if I had 50k to spend I would get a base 997.2 hopefully with PASM and call it a day.

Fahrer 05-15-2014 03:28 PM

The old Targas actually had a roll bar embedded in the SS cover and fixed to the car. The newest Targa is simply a combination soft top and hardtop with limited structural contribution.

jeffrec 05-15-2014 03:45 PM

Test drove a 2010 Targa when I was looking for my P car and had difficulty with the rattles and creaking sounds coming from the roof. Personal preference but I much prefer a coupe with a sun roof.

Linnm 05-15-2014 03:46 PM

Targas are "rare" because most customers opted for something else. Make sure you can handle squeaks and rattles before you buy a Targa

Collin Chapin 05-15-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by PasPar2 (Post 11370460)
Targas are rare, heaviest in the NA line, prone to rattles and are the step child in the resale market. If you are specifically looking for one, I'd say expect to pay more...

if I had 50k to spend I would get a base 997.2 hopefully with PASM and call it a day.

I feel like a newbie asking this question (which I am so I guess I shouldn't feel bad) but what is PASM?

I'm gonna take a stab here and guess it has something to do with stability management but that's a complete guess.

As for everyone else, thank you for warning me about rattling etc... i'm so in love with the sound of the Porsches i've been driving I probably would not have even noticed it.

kcheves 05-15-2014 04:54 PM

Porsche Actve Suspension Management. Lowers the ride 10mm, and provides either a more supple (when not engaged) or more firm (when engaged) ride vs. stock. Standard on the S, optional and somewhat rare on the base Carrera.

Collin Chapin 05-15-2014 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kcheves (Post 11370697)
Porsche Actve Suspension Management. Lowers the ride 10mm, and provides either a more supple (when not engaged) or more firm (when engaged) ride vs. stock. Standard on the S, optional and somewhat rare on the base Carrera.

Great. Thank you. I am leaning towards a 997 4S so that shouldn't be an issue then.

I appreciate the prompt response!

KeninBlaine 05-15-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin (Post 11370710)
Great. Thank you. I am leaning towards a 997 4S so that shouldn't be an issue then.

I appreciate the prompt response!

FYI, PASM does not lower the ride height on the 997.1 cars.

I'm much more positive on the Targa models since I owned one (07 T4S). They aren't the heaviest, the C4S cab is the heaviest. Many people speculate that the handling and power won't be as good due to the extra weight and the weight being higher up on the car. But in reality, you won't notice the difference, and the published 0-60 time is the same for the Targa 4S as the other non-aspirated models of the 997.1. I never had any rattles, and any squeaks were easily dealt with by lubricating the rubber weatherstrip along the front of the glass top with silicone spray lubricant. Ask other 997 Targa owners and I think you'll find most if not all are or were very happy with them.

On top of the great looks of the Targa, it offers much easier access to the rear space behind the back seat. This space is bigger than a coupe because the Targa's subwoofer is in the passenger footwell like the cabs, rather than behind the back seat.

I would look for a Targa 4S as it will have PASM and sport Chrono, which greatly enhances handling when you want to drive quickly on twisty roads. I took my Targa on a trip up and down the west coast, and put 900 miles on the last day, including many miles of mountain highways.

Your biggest challenge will be in finding one that is optioned to your liking. And some are priced high because they are rare, and some are priced low because there are fewer buyers. Everyone's situation will vary somewhat.

Good luck in your hunt. I just suggest you take your time and look at lots of cars so you can be sure what options, colors, model etc. you really want before buying.

mwolfe 05-15-2014 08:18 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Keninirvine. I just got a 997.1 T4S ('08). There are rattles, but they are easily quieted with taking care of the seals and lubrication. There is a great thread that covers a VERY extensive DIY [I have yet to do the total DIY, but a very cursory wipedown of the rubber with a rubber treatment made a BIG difference].

I thought that the added "hatchback" opening in the back was weird when I saw pictures, but the added room and access has been fantastic (especially with the lost room in the frunk due to the AWD).

They are rarer--which I think adds to the desirability.

z3mcoupe 05-15-2014 08:57 PM

Targa pile on...As I type this I'm on a road trip to Portland from San Francisco with my new-to-me targa 4 and love it. It's a 2009 and it does have a few rattles which I get over bumps at low speed in the city , but once on the open road you don't get surfaces which flex the chassis as much.

I have no regrets and I drive with the glass retracted day or night 90% of the time . Driving my DD S60 or GTI I'm come to realize how small the roof openings are compared to the targa.

If you want a fun all-round GT car and like the idea of the extra light in the cabin , then test drive one and see of it floats your boat.

If the glass roof seems like a gimmick stick with a coupe :) good luck with your hunt - driving various samples before you buy is all part of the fun.

Frugger 05-15-2014 09:41 PM

When I was searching to buy my first 911 the only one I would buy was a Targa. The 911 interior is small (by comparison to other cars I've owned) and having the glass roof really makes it feel spacious. Even with the roof closed it feels like a convertible - whether it's 25F outside and snowing or 105F and humid. Plus as others have stated it's rare - I've got a 2012 4S and it's one of 95 sold in the US in 2012.

tommy618 05-15-2014 10:18 PM

+++ I love my Targa 4. Great usability from the hatchback function and feels airier than the coupes. Mine is one of 80 made in 09.

mastermsu 05-16-2014 11:08 PM

Love my 07 targa.. No issues .live the huge roof opening especially here in detroit with the so so weather.. The chrome strip on both sides adds a nice look that differentiates the other 997's

300cd300sdl911 05-17-2014 08:51 AM

A couple of years ago my wife and I drove our 07 targa4s from Ct. To San Fran. The hatchback is amazing for loading and unloading stuff. Trunk holds one suitcase, overhead bin ,size. Can't say enough good things about the glass roof and how it really helps bring the outside in, even when closed. We have an air cooled targa as well. Just really like them I guess.

PKF 12 GTS 05-18-2014 09:19 AM

I had a 06 Targa for a few years and loved it. A Sailkote application once a year eliminated all squeaks and rattles for me...

GSIRM3 05-18-2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by keninirvine (Post 11370747)
FYI, PASM does not lower the ride height on the 997.1 cars.

Yes it does. PASM lowers ride height by 10 mm over a base model Carrera without PASM.

A790 05-18-2014 08:27 PM

After looking at several 996 C4S's (and a couple 996 turbos), I think I'm moving toward 997 territory. I prefer the updated interior/exterior and Targa models.

I am also leaning toward a Targa 4S as I love the idea of a convertible but unfortunately don't live in a climate where a convertible makes a ton of sense (Calgary, AB). This car will see temperatures as low as -10*C.

When comparing the Targa 4S to a Carerra 4S I am wondering if there is any discernible difference in performance? I am aware of the different suspension setups, but given that Calgary no longer has a track, the car will see 98% street/highway driving anyway.

What about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? Are they any different than the standard 4S?

For what it's worth I'm exclusively looking at 2010 - 2012 Targa 4S's. Any difference among model years?

Finally, some ads I find say a 2010 Targa 4S has 355 hp, other say 385? Which is correct for the 2010-2012 model years?

Sorry OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I figured this made more sense than starting a new nearly identical one.

DoninDen 05-18-2014 09:56 PM

I had a 997 Targa 4S and absolutely loved the car! The best of all worlds! Beautiful panoramic view like a cab while cruising through the mountains, without the wind on the highway. Elegant at night with the city lights and the stars illuminating the cabin and snug and warm on a rainy day. I loved the light in the cabin.

As for noises, I only experienced it on freezing temperature days until the cabin warmed up.

Only incremental maintenance is wiping the targa rails twice a year with a Q-tip and McLube Sailkote (others use silicon). That takes 15 minutes.

DoninDen 05-18-2014 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeffrec (Post 11370522)
Test drove a 2010 Targa when I was looking for my P car and had difficulty with the rattles and creaking sounds coming from the roof. Personal preference but I much prefer a coupe with a sun roof.

I have a sunroof in my 993 TT and my LX 570, never open them.

Never experienced any rattles on the targa I owned, just creaks on freezing winter days until the cabin warmed up. Personal preference on a coupe would be factory sunroof delete.

Steve Gallagher 05-18-2014 11:19 PM

Love my 2002 C2 Targa for all the reasons above.
The rattling is minimal, and being in SoCal I rarely have it closed!

RennlistTomE 05-20-2014 02:22 AM

Potential disadvantage to the Targa:
You'll want to put WAY more miles on it than you expect.

RE the 'roof squeaks':
They happen, if the roof's mechanical components are neglected or if someone has used a gooey (usually silicone) lubricant.
Here's the very simple fix.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...oof-noise.html
It's a once per year / year and a half, 15 minute procedure.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

A790 05-20-2014 12:55 PM

Excellent, glad to get some great feedback re: squeaks/rattles and overall enjoyment.

Can anyone speak to the performance of the Targa 4S compared to a Carerra 4S? Both vehicles would be 2010 - 2012 model year.

KeninBlaine 05-20-2014 01:06 PM

You won't detect any measurable difference in performance.

Collin Chapin 05-20-2014 01:17 PM

Looks like i'll have to be sure to test drive a Targa...

Thanks for all of the input everyone, as always you guys are the best!

A790 05-20-2014 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin (Post 11381147)
Looks like i'll have to be sure to test drive a Targa...

Thanks for all of the input everyone, as always you guys are the best!

lol I'm in the same boat, even if they do tend to sell for a $3-$5k premium over a comparably equipped Carerra 4S.

Collin Chapin 05-20-2014 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by A790 (Post 11381157)
lol I'm in the same boat, even if they do tend to sell for a $3-$5k premium over a comparably equipped Carerra 4S.

Honestly, when I first started looking at buying a 911 I was planning on buying an older 996 for low 30s. After I looked at a few I was like, well, maybe 40 is ok.

At this point i'm more inclined to wait as long as I have to to afford the exact car I want and now i'm shopping around 50-60 lol

Oh god, this is not a good sign for the future of owning this car :P

A790 05-20-2014 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin (Post 11381193)
Honestly, when I first started looking at buying a 911 I was planning on buying an older 996 for low 30s. After I looked at a few I was like, well, maybe 40 is ok.

At this point i'm more inclined to wait as long as I have to to afford the exact car I want and now i'm shopping around 50-60 lol

Oh god, this is not a good sign for the future of owning this car :P

LOL too funny, we share the same story! :roflmao:

Just got married on May 5, no kids, no plans for kids, relatively high household income (mid 100's), small townhouse and relatively low monthly expenses. Decided maybe a 911 was finally attainable (after having drooled over them since I was 17 - am 27 now).

Looked at a few 02-04 996 C4S's, then a couple of 996 turbos. Decided I prefer the interior/exterior refinement of the 997, so now looking at 2010+ Targa 4S or Carerra 4S's.

Went from spending mid-30's to mid-70's low-80's... heh.

But damn do I love these cars!

DoninDen 05-20-2014 02:31 PM

I think performance will be the same between the two cars. The driver makes the difference and you have to be an amazing driver to approach the limits of the car. Given you are asking I am gong to assume, like me, you are no where near those limits.

When I first got my 997 Targa 4S, I wanted more raw power for the street. I looked very hard at adding a supercharger and then backed away from that. I installed an IPD Plenum, racing headers, 200 cell cats and a performance exhaust. The combination truly opened the car up and let it really breath. It was amazing!!

Collin Chapin 05-20-2014 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by A790 (Post 11381294)
LOL too funny, we share the same story! :roflmao:

Just got married on May 5, no kids, no plans for kids, relatively high household income (mid 100's), small townhouse and relatively low monthly expenses. Decided maybe a 911 was finally attainable (after having drooled over them since I was 17 - am 27 now).

Looked at a few 02-04 996 C4S's, then a couple of 996 turbos. Decided I prefer the interior/exterior refinement of the 997, so now looking at 2010+ Targa 4S or Carerra 4S's.

Went from spending mid-30's to mid-70's low-80's... heh.

But damn do I love these cars!

Weird. We really are in the exact situation. I'm 26 and i've wanted a 911 for as long as I can remember... well congrats to both of us!

Minok 05-21-2014 04:40 PM

997.2 Targa 4 - configured with PASM - which gives a more forgiving ride on the crap US roads when in normal mode (I'd say PASM is a must in the USA).

The only issues with occasional creaking is when driving the rumble strip of local concrete interstates and surface streets in the winter, when the rubber is cold and ridgid. There are established ways to treat the surfaces of that glass roof to keep the rattle at bay.

The big rattle issue for me was that the SWITCH that sits by the hand-brake, which controls the roof and sun-blind, was rattleing in the winter as the mate wasn't tight enough. Dealer replaced under warranty, but I'd expect that would be an easy DIY fix for anyone.

Beyond that, the only rattle I typically have is the ring on the end-cap for the cig lighter flashlight, which I leave sitting in the ashtray, tends to rattle on the roads.

The rattling is over-reported. A coupe Carrera will give you less chance of noise, but you loose out all of that wonderful light and open-ness, and you loose the rear glass hatch on the 997.2 Targa, and that open feel when the roof is retracted. Its an easy trade to make for the occasional maintenance of the roof seals every few years.

Collin Chapin 05-21-2014 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Minok (Post 11384554)
997.2 Targa 4 - configured with PASM - which gives a more forgiving ride on the crap US roads when in normal mode (I'd say PASM is a must in the USA).

The only issues with occasional creaking is when driving the rumble strip of local concrete interstates and surface streets in the winter, when the rubber is cold and ridgid. There are established ways to treat the surfaces of that glass roof to keep the rattle at bay.

The big rattle issue for me was that the SWITCH that sits by the hand-brake, which controls the roof and sun-blind, was rattleing in the winter as the mate wasn't tight enough. Dealer replaced under warranty, but I'd expect that would be an easy DIY fix for anyone.

Beyond that, the only rattle I typically have is the ring on the end-cap for the cig lighter flashlight, which I leave sitting in the ashtray, tends to rattle on the roads.

The rattling is over-reported. A coupe Carrera will give you less chance of noise, but you loose out all of that wonderful light and open-ness, and you loose the rear glass hatch on the 997.2 Targa, and that open feel when the roof is retracted. Its an easy trade to make for the occasional maintenance of the roof seals every few years.

I'm starting to think the Targa is for me the more I read about it.

I never thought I would be a convertible fan but after riding in my friends Boxster last week I can say i'm interested. It will be my DD in Connecticut and with our winters I simply cannot drive a "real" convertible.

This seems to be the best of both worlds... especially because my girlfriend is extremely annoyed with the lack of space in a 911 and this may impact her opinion slightly (even if it is just easier access to the same amount of space).

Thank you for the input... now I just need to find one to drive!!

A790 05-21-2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin (Post 11384572)
Thank you for the input... now I just need to find one to drive!!

LOL good luck on that last one...

Hard to find good cars, let along a local car to drive.

Frugger 05-21-2014 09:34 PM

When I bought mine in January it was purchased sight unseen. It was only 2 years old and had less than 1800 miles, but was CPO'd so I wasn't concerned. I believe at that time there were 6 for sale in the US and I happened to want white w/sand beige (which is what I ended up buying). It cost $30K more than I had wanted to spend and I had to fly to the dealer and drive it back - but it puts a smile on my face every time I get in. It's a rare car to begin with so if you find one with the color/options combo you're looking for I'd just pull the trigger.

NJtarga4 05-21-2014 09:58 PM

I use my Targa as a daily driver, the hatch makes it very convenient to run to the cleaners, the grocery, etc. It is really the most functional car I think you can purchase, grand kids sit in back, errands get run, open the top at night and most days, what more can you want from a car? Oh and it still is a Porsche with all the beauty and speed most people could want! What a great car!

A790 05-22-2014 01:04 PM

I'm stoked. Targa it is!

DoninDen 05-22-2014 01:12 PM

There are good ones on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...68066553&Log=0

Minok 05-22-2014 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin (Post 11384572)
This seems to be the best of both worlds... especially because my girlfriend is extremely annoyed with the lack of space in a 911 and this may impact her opinion slightly (even if it is just easier access to the same amount of space).

You say this like it were a bad thing. First off, if the frunk and back seats and rear deck are not enough space, you are using the car for the wrong thing or just not the person to be in the car.

And if she won't drive it.. thats great right?!

I hauled the boxed large hinged flat-panel TV mount home in my Targa 4 in the winter - moved the passenger seat forward as much as possible, popped the hatch, slid that box in there. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. In the winter, with the winter tires on, its a joy to drive. The only real danger is the other idiots in their pickups, SUVs and cars that think having AWD/4WD lets them counter the laws of physics somehow. We all have 4wheel braking.