Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Potential disadvantages to a Targa? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/815344-potential-disadvantages-to-a-targa.html)

Collin Chapin 05-15-2014 03:08 PM

Potential disadvantages to a Targa?

Hey everyone,

I have always wanted a 911 and now that I can finally afford one I'm presented with the exciting/daunting task of finding out WHICH 911 I want!!

I originally thought I wanted a 996 Turbo (I don't really want to spend over 50k and I can't find many 997 Turbos in that price range) but after driving one compared to a 997 C4, I REALLY liked the C4.

Something about the sound of the Turbo plus the turbo lag itself (which is apparently improved on the 997) I just didn't like.

ANYWAYS!! I was curious... what would be considered a negative aspect to the Targa?

I'm assuming there's more weight because of the mechanism that moves the roof and i'm OK with that.

Aside from that, anything I should be aware of?

I'm looking at most likely an 06/07 C4/4S and it seems I can find it sometimes in a Targa as well. I'm quite tempted by the idea but I have plenty of time before I buy and i'm looking to evaluate all the possible aspects of this purchase.

THANK YOU in advance! :):cheers:

PasPar2 05-15-2014 03:21 PM

Targas are rare, heaviest in the NA line, prone to rattles and are the step child in the resale market. If you are specifically looking for one, I'd say expect to pay more...

if I had 50k to spend I would get a base 997.2 hopefully with PASM and call it a day.

Fahrer 05-15-2014 03:28 PM

The old Targas actually had a roll bar embedded in the SS cover and fixed to the car. The newest Targa is simply a combination soft top and hardtop with limited structural contribution.

jeffrec 05-15-2014 03:45 PM

Test drove a 2010 Targa when I was looking for my P car and had difficulty with the rattles and creaking sounds coming from the roof. Personal preference but I much prefer a coupe with a sun roof.

Linnm 05-15-2014 03:46 PM

Targas are "rare" because most customers opted for something else. Make sure you can handle squeaks and rattles before you buy a Targa

Collin Chapin 05-15-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by PasPar2 (Post 11370460)
Targas are rare, heaviest in the NA line, prone to rattles and are the step child in the resale market. If you are specifically looking for one, I'd say expect to pay more...

if I had 50k to spend I would get a base 997.2 hopefully with PASM and call it a day.

I feel like a newbie asking this question (which I am so I guess I shouldn't feel bad) but what is PASM?

I'm gonna take a stab here and guess it has something to do with stability management but that's a complete guess.

As for everyone else, thank you for warning me about rattling etc... i'm so in love with the sound of the Porsches i've been driving I probably would not have even noticed it.

kcheves 05-15-2014 04:54 PM

Porsche Actve Suspension Management. Lowers the ride 10mm, and provides either a more supple (when not engaged) or more firm (when engaged) ride vs. stock. Standard on the S, optional and somewhat rare on the base Carrera.

Collin Chapin 05-15-2014 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kcheves (Post 11370697)
Porsche Actve Suspension Management. Lowers the ride 10mm, and provides either a more supple (when not engaged) or more firm (when engaged) ride vs. stock. Standard on the S, optional and somewhat rare on the base Carrera.

Great. Thank you. I am leaning towards a 997 4S so that shouldn't be an issue then.

I appreciate the prompt response!

KeninBlaine 05-15-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin (Post 11370710)
Great. Thank you. I am leaning towards a 997 4S so that shouldn't be an issue then.

I appreciate the prompt response!

FYI, PASM does not lower the ride height on the 997.1 cars.

I'm much more positive on the Targa models since I owned one (07 T4S). They aren't the heaviest, the C4S cab is the heaviest. Many people speculate that the handling and power won't be as good due to the extra weight and the weight being higher up on the car. But in reality, you won't notice the difference, and the published 0-60 time is the same for the Targa 4S as the other non-aspirated models of the 997.1. I never had any rattles, and any squeaks were easily dealt with by lubricating the rubber weatherstrip along the front of the glass top with silicone spray lubricant. Ask other 997 Targa owners and I think you'll find most if not all are or were very happy with them.

On top of the great looks of the Targa, it offers much easier access to the rear space behind the back seat. This space is bigger than a coupe because the Targa's subwoofer is in the passenger footwell like the cabs, rather than behind the back seat.

I would look for a Targa 4S as it will have PASM and sport Chrono, which greatly enhances handling when you want to drive quickly on twisty roads. I took my Targa on a trip up and down the west coast, and put 900 miles on the last day, including many miles of mountain highways.

Your biggest challenge will be in finding one that is optioned to your liking. And some are priced high because they are rare, and some are priced low because there are fewer buyers. Everyone's situation will vary somewhat.

Good luck in your hunt. I just suggest you take your time and look at lots of cars so you can be sure what options, colors, model etc. you really want before buying.

mwolfe 05-15-2014 08:18 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Keninirvine. I just got a 997.1 T4S ('08). There are rattles, but they are easily quieted with taking care of the seals and lubrication. There is a great thread that covers a VERY extensive DIY [I have yet to do the total DIY, but a very cursory wipedown of the rubber with a rubber treatment made a BIG difference].

I thought that the added "hatchback" opening in the back was weird when I saw pictures, but the added room and access has been fantastic (especially with the lost room in the frunk due to the AWD).

They are rarer--which I think adds to the desirability.

z3mcoupe 05-15-2014 08:57 PM

Targa pile on...As I type this I'm on a road trip to Portland from San Francisco with my new-to-me targa 4 and love it. It's a 2009 and it does have a few rattles which I get over bumps at low speed in the city , but once on the open road you don't get surfaces which flex the chassis as much.

I have no regrets and I drive with the glass retracted day or night 90% of the time . Driving my DD S60 or GTI I'm come to realize how small the roof openings are compared to the targa.

If you want a fun all-round GT car and like the idea of the extra light in the cabin , then test drive one and see of it floats your boat.

If the glass roof seems like a gimmick stick with a coupe :) good luck with your hunt - driving various samples before you buy is all part of the fun.

Frugger 05-15-2014 09:41 PM

When I was searching to buy my first 911 the only one I would buy was a Targa. The 911 interior is small (by comparison to other cars I've owned) and having the glass roof really makes it feel spacious. Even with the roof closed it feels like a convertible - whether it's 25F outside and snowing or 105F and humid. Plus as others have stated it's rare - I've got a 2012 4S and it's one of 95 sold in the US in 2012.

tommy618 05-15-2014 10:18 PM

+++ I love my Targa 4. Great usability from the hatchback function and feels airier than the coupes. Mine is one of 80 made in 09.

mastermsu 05-16-2014 11:08 PM

Love my 07 targa.. No issues .live the huge roof opening especially here in detroit with the so so weather.. The chrome strip on both sides adds a nice look that differentiates the other 997's

300cd300sdl911 05-17-2014 08:51 AM

A couple of years ago my wife and I drove our 07 targa4s from Ct. To San Fran. The hatchback is amazing for loading and unloading stuff. Trunk holds one suitcase, overhead bin ,size. Can't say enough good things about the glass roof and how it really helps bring the outside in, even when closed. We have an air cooled targa as well. Just really like them I guess.