Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Potential disadvantages to a Targa? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/815344-potential-disadvantages-to-a-targa.html)

Minok 05-21-2014 04:40 PM

997.2 Targa 4 - configured with PASM - which gives a more forgiving ride on the crap US roads when in normal mode (I'd say PASM is a must in the USA).

The only issues with occasional creaking is when driving the rumble strip of local concrete interstates and surface streets in the winter, when the rubber is cold and ridgid. There are established ways to treat the surfaces of that glass roof to keep the rattle at bay.

The big rattle issue for me was that the SWITCH that sits by the hand-brake, which controls the roof and sun-blind, was rattleing in the winter as the mate wasn't tight enough. Dealer replaced under warranty, but I'd expect that would be an easy DIY fix for anyone.

Beyond that, the only rattle I typically have is the ring on the end-cap for the cig lighter flashlight, which I leave sitting in the ashtray, tends to rattle on the roads.

The rattling is over-reported. A coupe Carrera will give you less chance of noise, but you loose out all of that wonderful light and open-ness, and you loose the rear glass hatch on the 997.2 Targa, and that open feel when the roof is retracted. Its an easy trade to make for the occasional maintenance of the roof seals every few years.

Collin Chapin 05-21-2014 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Minok (Post 11384554)
997.2 Targa 4 - configured with PASM - which gives a more forgiving ride on the crap US roads when in normal mode (I'd say PASM is a must in the USA).

The only issues with occasional creaking is when driving the rumble strip of local concrete interstates and surface streets in the winter, when the rubber is cold and ridgid. There are established ways to treat the surfaces of that glass roof to keep the rattle at bay.

The big rattle issue for me was that the SWITCH that sits by the hand-brake, which controls the roof and sun-blind, was rattleing in the winter as the mate wasn't tight enough. Dealer replaced under warranty, but I'd expect that would be an easy DIY fix for anyone.

Beyond that, the only rattle I typically have is the ring on the end-cap for the cig lighter flashlight, which I leave sitting in the ashtray, tends to rattle on the roads.

The rattling is over-reported. A coupe Carrera will give you less chance of noise, but you loose out all of that wonderful light and open-ness, and you loose the rear glass hatch on the 997.2 Targa, and that open feel when the roof is retracted. Its an easy trade to make for the occasional maintenance of the roof seals every few years.

I'm starting to think the Targa is for me the more I read about it.

I never thought I would be a convertible fan but after riding in my friends Boxster last week I can say i'm interested. It will be my DD in Connecticut and with our winters I simply cannot drive a "real" convertible.

This seems to be the best of both worlds... especially because my girlfriend is extremely annoyed with the lack of space in a 911 and this may impact her opinion slightly (even if it is just easier access to the same amount of space).

Thank you for the input... now I just need to find one to drive!!

A790 05-21-2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin (Post 11384572)
Thank you for the input... now I just need to find one to drive!!

LOL good luck on that last one...

Hard to find good cars, let along a local car to drive.

Frugger 05-21-2014 09:34 PM

When I bought mine in January it was purchased sight unseen. It was only 2 years old and had less than 1800 miles, but was CPO'd so I wasn't concerned. I believe at that time there were 6 for sale in the US and I happened to want white w/sand beige (which is what I ended up buying). It cost $30K more than I had wanted to spend and I had to fly to the dealer and drive it back - but it puts a smile on my face every time I get in. It's a rare car to begin with so if you find one with the color/options combo you're looking for I'd just pull the trigger.

NJtarga4 05-21-2014 09:58 PM

I use my Targa as a daily driver, the hatch makes it very convenient to run to the cleaners, the grocery, etc. It is really the most functional car I think you can purchase, grand kids sit in back, errands get run, open the top at night and most days, what more can you want from a car? Oh and it still is a Porsche with all the beauty and speed most people could want! What a great car!

A790 05-22-2014 01:04 PM

I'm stoked. Targa it is!

DoninDen 05-22-2014 01:12 PM

There are good ones on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...68066553&Log=0

Minok 05-22-2014 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin (Post 11384572)
This seems to be the best of both worlds... especially because my girlfriend is extremely annoyed with the lack of space in a 911 and this may impact her opinion slightly (even if it is just easier access to the same amount of space).

You say this like it were a bad thing. First off, if the frunk and back seats and rear deck are not enough space, you are using the car for the wrong thing or just not the person to be in the car.

And if she won't drive it.. thats great right?!

I hauled the boxed large hinged flat-panel TV mount home in my Targa 4 in the winter - moved the passenger seat forward as much as possible, popped the hatch, slid that box in there. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. In the winter, with the winter tires on, its a joy to drive. The only real danger is the other idiots in their pickups, SUVs and cars that think having AWD/4WD lets them counter the laws of physics somehow. We all have 4wheel braking.