Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I GOT HER! (here come the questions...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 AM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I GOT HER! (here come the questions...)

She is mine! mu ha ha...now with the million questions.

- So, the two seat heaters don't work. Press the button (drivers&pass) and no light comes on or heat. I have a 3 month bumper-to-bumper through the Mercedes dealership I bought it at. Think they will cover this? Any ideas on what it might be or how to investigate?

- What RPM is a good cruising RPM on highway?

- Does she require any warm up?

- I'm thinking about keeping my 18" Carrera Classic wheels for (winter only) and buying some 19" Wheels/Summer Tires. Any recommendations on tire/wheel setups? (i'm horrible with using my imagination, any sites that will show car/wheel setups?)

- Can I keep the spoiler up all the time? Is it bad? I like the look with it up...

- What are some must have mods? (ordered: clear indicators, magnetic drain plug, front license plate: Skene)

- is the gundo hack worth it? (seen a couple threads of some not happy)

- is $800 a good price for a full 30k service? (indy shop)

Thanks!

Name:  TNakbKj.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  644.7 KB
Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it below 4000 until the oil is warmed up 150-200. Fuse for the seat heater would be my guess, and 800 might be right on the lower end of normal for 30k indy. As for tire wheel set up IDK. The spoiler up will not hurt anything. No mods for me as of yet (other than clears)
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 AM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Congratulations! I'm still relatively new to the 997 myself so I'm more likely to subscribe to the thread than hand out advice!

I have no idea if the dealership will honor the seat heaters as part of the warranty but I'd assume it's worth a shot to find out.

From what I've read, you don't need a "warm up" per se (ie: car idling for several minutes). More like a "keep the RPMs below 4000 until the oil and water get warm" thing.

I have no recommendations on wheels but I think TireRack still simulates what a car will look like with different wheels on it.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats. She’s a beauty and I hope you enjoy it in good health.

My recommendation for wheels is HRE’s. Expensive; but they look nice on the 997. And my recommendation for keeping the spoiler up at all times goes something like this: It’s like eating cotton candy during a strong breeze—you’re opening yourself up for ridicule!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM
porterror
Racer

That stings. I was thinking about saving that hydraulic some energy. I love the look with the tail up! Am I in the minority on this!?

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
And my recommendation for keeping the spoiler up at all times goes something like this: It’s like eating cotton candy during a strong breeze—you’re opening yourself up for ridicule!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:38 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Wheels and tires? How much do you want to spend? would you buy used?
There is a definite UnLove for the lobster claw wheels. I change my own wheels over every season. I have an appreciation for those wonderfully light BBS's. I was chasing a set of used Lobsters with tires, for $400 bucks. Allass they are gone. Next set on my hunt are 8oo bucks.
Warm up? drive lower RPM. Remember there is almost 9-10 liters of oil in your car. It takes longer than a normal car to flow and heat up that much liquid mass.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:27 PM
porterror
Racer

I'm not adverse to used/clean wheels. I'd definitely like to stay with Porsche OEM though. I'm neutral on the lobsters. Would like to find a site with a 997 cab with different wheel sets to get a visual reference. Trying to get under $1500

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Wheels and tires? How much do you want to spend? would you buy used?
There is a definite UnLove for the lobster claw wheels. I change my own wheels over every season. I have an appreciation for those wonderfully light BBS's. I was chasing a set of used Lobsters with tires, for $400 bucks. Allass they are gone. Next set on my hunt are 8oo bucks.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Lance-AR
Instructor

When you first start your car, it will idle at 1100 RPM. If you give it a couple of minutes, it will drop to 800 RPM. I don't know how long it really needs to warm up before leaving out but my 997.1 makes noises from a not-yet lubricated chain tensioner if I back up before it's good and ready.

Once I head out I drive above 2500 RPM and below 4000 RPM until the oil temp is up. After that, I try to stay above 2500. With the oil warm, don't baby the engine. You want to get the oil hot enough to boil out any water present in the oil.

FD Motorsports makes the best Gundo hack with their Fister exhaust. You can also change the exhaust note slightly by inserting a Castrol oil cap into the helmholz resonator in the cold air intake above the airbox. It's crazy but it does fit perfectly. I haven't quite yet figured out how this affects gas milage but I'm pretty sure doing this has negatively affected stability at idle.

Also, join your local PCA chapter to find like minded individuals. They'll be able to recommend indy shops, detailers, etc in your area. Hope this helps!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:22 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=porterror;11364273]She is mine! mu ha ha...now with the million questions.

Congratulations...she's a beauty.

- So, the two seat heaters don't work. Press the button (drivers&pass) and no light comes on or heat. I have a 3 month bumper-to-bumper through the Mercedes dealership I bought it at. Think they will cover this? Any ideas on what it might be or how to investigate?

Fuse, most probably

- What RPM is a good cruising RPM on highway?

Between 3 and 4k, the car is most responsive without burning excess fuel

- Does she require any warm up?

Yes...I wait for the RPM to drop to idling before driving and keep her under 4k until oil temp is at 180 or higher

- I'm thinking about keeping my 18" Carrera Classic wheels for (winter only) and buying some 19" Wheels/Summer Tires. Any recommendations on tire/wheel setups? (i'm horrible with using my imagination, any sites that will show car/wheel setups?)

I did exactly the same. Saves you having to uninstall/reinstall tires all the time. Plus, the 18s give you better now clearance and the 19s look wicked in the summer. I dropped the ride height by 1 inch and now the 19s look really nice. I run 305/30/19 (rear) and 235/30/19 (front) summer and 285/40/18 (rear) and 235/40/18 (rear) summers.

- Can I keep the spoiler up all the time? Is it bad? I like the look with it up...

POSER! lol...I think it's pretentious but to each his own.

- What are some must have mods? (ordered: clear indicators, magnetic drain plug, front license plate: Skene)

Clear marker lights, LED fog lights, LED tail lights, updated 991 badging, magnetic drain plug, lowering springs (for now).

- is the gundo hack worth it? (seen a couple threads of some not happy)

Yes! If you don't have a factory or after market sport exhaust, do it! If you're uncertain, get a set of spare mufflers and keep the stock in their original state. Lots of people out there will buy your gundo hacked mufflers if you don't like the sound. I would do Gundo & Fister personally, not just one or the other.

- is $800 a good price for a full 30k service? (indy shop)

That's too open a question, what's the breakdown of what they are gonna do? Does that include parts like oil, filters, etc.?

Thanks!

/[QUOTE=porterror;11364273]
Old 05-13-2014, 02:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm one of the apparent few who aren't crazy about the Gundo/FD mod, although the FD mod is beautifully done. I tried it on my 997.1 and removed it in a short time. Some claim in sounds like the PSE in on mode, but I found it too raw and too loud, especially at lower RPMs, and little like the PSE. I'd keep an eye out for a respected aftermarket exhaust coming up for sale on the forums, you have to be patient and watchful though, they can sell fast. Be careful there too though, some are loud. Do your research ahead of time so when one shows up you will already know if it is on your short list.

On startup, I just wait a until the high idle drops (when it is colder), or at least a minimum 30 seconds to a minute and take it easy for the first couple of minutes. I tend to stay below 3500 until the temperature gauge is moving up above 175 and rarely floor it before it is up to normal temperate (200 or so).

LED taillights are popular and go a long way to making it look several years younger. Stick with the good ones, Dectane or Depo (actually the same maker). They seem very robust and don't trigger any fault codes.

$800 is less than I found when I hunted around for an indy who has good experience with Porsches on my 997.1. I don't think you'll find anyone reputable doing it for less.

If you don't find the fuse blown (there is a map of fuses inside the door, or there should be), then it will probably need to be taken to a Porsche dealer to get the option coding turned on via their PIWIs device. Almost every option on the Porsche can be enabled/disabled by their computer... even some you don't think of as options.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by porterror
That stings. I was thinking about saving that hydraulic some energy. I love the look with the tail up! Am I in the minority on this!?
I was just kidding. But, yes, you're in the minority.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porterror
Probably so.

Think this - if God intended it to be up all the time, he would not have given the engineers the ability to make it move up and down.

Kind of like He won't let them put the motor up front.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:45 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I read here on RL that when the spoiler is up all the time its called being in the "poser position".

I dont warm my car up. drive as soon as the rpm drop on cold start-up or immediately on warm start-up. I take it easy till the oil is up to temp (180-200) and then... I dont take it easy...
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM
porterror
Racer

Like the poser position! I like the fact that the cops don't know i'm going 75mph by visual reference. (or I guess 50mph if my engine temp is higher)

Originally Posted by PasPar2
I read here on RL that when the spoiler is up all the time its called being in the "poser position".

Quick Reply: I GOT HER! (here come the questions...)