I GOT HER! (here come the questions...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Nice car!
Research here about all the things I did not know about my 997. Read the manual. Twice.
19's are nice(I have them) but you give up ride quality...
Spoiler is automatic so let it decide when to go up and down.
Enjoy it, you have plenty of time to spend a lot of $$!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:52 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porterror
Like the poser position! I like the fact that the cops don't know i'm going 75mph by visual reference. (or I guess 50mph if my engine temp is higher)
As a compromise, you could get a fixed wing spoiler...or you could have it deployed until you're in the car then set it back to "normal" since you won't see it from inside the car anyway...you'll just have to tell yourself that the police may not know when it automatically deploys or retracts.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I personally like spoilers so I have one on my car. Some folks think they are just that, spoilers of the looks of the car. Your car, your call. Agree on LED's. They do update the car significantly.

I always let it idle down and then keep it under 4K until the oil is at 200 then I flog her

Fisters and Gundo are the same thing. Gundo is the call name for a member on the forum that did the original "gundo hack" Darrin Fister takes your mufflers in on trade and sends you nicely welded replacements. They sound amazing on a car. Relatively subdued at under 2500 RPM and wake up over 3500. They sound great first thing in the morning. I turn my car on and leave the door open so I can hear the crackle and pop.
I had my steering wheel recovered by Dallas Custom Wheels(do a search on the forum) and outisde of the exhaust it is my favorite mod because my hands are on it all the time.

Congrats on your new car, find some twisty roads and enjoy it.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porterror
Like the poser position! I like the fact that the cops don't know i'm going 75mph by visual reference. (or I guess 50mph if my engine temp is higher)
I doubt many cops know enough about the cars to know when it goes up or down. Some don't even know the engine is in the back.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 PM
tomc66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell us more about your car. What transmission, options, year, etc. .
Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 PM
porterror
Racer

Of course stick!

Originally Posted by tomc66
Tell us more about your car. What transmission, options, year, etc. .
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats !

AFAIK the spoiler goes up at 75mph and goes back down at 37.5 mph (@ <130deg f)..

so you just have to speed up to 75 mph and not slow down below 37.5 mph (like Sandra Bullock in Speed. lol) to keep the spoiler up. haha

- keep the car under 4k RPM until the temp reaches 200deg+
I also try to hit redline at least once a drive (after engine reaches proper temp)

- u can see how the different wheels look on ur car at Tirerack.
Just select ur vehicle type and the wheels u want and just click 'view on vehicle' button

- crusin' on hwy: 6th gear for optimal fuel econ.. but I often drive in 5th gear on hwy for better throttle response on shorter trips.

-gundo hack is worth it if u like the sound.
Prob best to hear it in person from someone near by (if u can) to determine if u like it.
I went with Cargraphics and never looked back.

- $800 for 30k service is fine as long as u get ur money's worth, no? What is included ?

-there are no 'must haves'.. =)
but for a cab, I would def consider SmarTop..
and for manual, I would consider SSK.

enjoy.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Lance-AR
Instructor

Numeric Racing makes the best SSK
Old 05-14-2014, 12:28 PM
porterror
Racer

What is cost + install?

Originally Posted by Lance-AR
Numeric Racing makes the best SSK
Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Lance-AR
Instructor

I think it was around $620 from NR. USMC had a great thread on how to do it. The install is removing the center console. It took a few hours. The difference was a very nice and accurate "thunk" when shifting into each gear.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 PM
miami4me2
AutoX

The SSK was must first, and favorite, mod. The kits range from $250-400, and take about two hours for a pro to install. My latest mod comes in a close second-- a re wrapped sport wheel with thick grip, perforated leather, and a yellow center stripe. As another post noted, you feel it whenever you're in the car. The best bang for the buck mod is to cap off the Helmholz resonator. It's a true DYI that anyone can do for $25, and it sounds awesome.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:47 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Buy/install the aerokit.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:20 PM
dalancroft
Racer

She is mine! mu ha ha...now with the million questions.

-So, the two seat heaters don't work. Press the button (drivers&pass) and no light comes on or heat. I have a 3 month bumper-to-bumper through the Mercedes dealership I bought it at. Think they will cover this? Any ideas on what it might be or how to investigate?

Agree with other posters, probably a fuse but the dealership should fix whatever is wrong if you have B-t-B warranty.

- What RPM is a good cruising RPM on highway?

Lowest gear. If manual, 6th (7th if 2012+); if PDK, let the computer decide.

- Does she require any warm up?

Always good to drive a few miles before flooring it!

- I'm thinking about keeping my 18" Carrera Classic wheels for (winter only) and buying some 19" Wheels/Summer Tires. Any recommendations on tire/wheel setups? (i'm horrible with using my imagination, any sites that will show car/wheel setups?)

I live in Northern California so no help here.

- Can I keep the spoiler up all the time? Is it bad? I like the look with it up...

I would think it's fine unless parked outside in the rain and/or snow.

- What are some must have mods? (ordered: clear indicators, magnetic drain plug, front license plate: Skene)

If my wife's car were mine, I would add a padded steering wheel, spacers, 305's in the back upon next need for new tires, Sharkwerks center muffler delete, and if you driver long distances I would consider RyeM3's replacement of Focal/Dayton drivers.

- is the gundo hack worth it? (seen a couple threads of some not happy)

See above for Sharkwerks center muffler delete. Probably better with a manual t than a PDK.

- is $800 a good price for a full 30k service? (indy shop)

No idea, my wife's is a CPO so all service is via dealer. Hope this helps
Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on a great car. You might check out the thread "show us your 997".....Lots of pics of different cars. You might see a wheel set you like.

Emerald
Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 PM
CrossThread
Rennlist Member

Nice car, love the Porsche Midnight Blue on sunny days with a high gloss detail.

Wish I had the patience to keep it under 4K until the oil gauge moved, I probably should.

Spoiler down, but I really like the Sharkwerks TechArt Type 1 wing, not to obtrusive or cost prohibitive.

Sharkwerks TechArt Spoiler

Quick Reply: I GOT HER! (here come the questions...)