Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ac evaporator cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

The evaporator is the radiator like object that cabin air is routed through to cool and remove moisture from the cabin air or that is air that will soon be routed through vents to the cabin.

Generally the evaporator is "buried" in the A/C system/unit that is located under/in front of the dash.

The condensers at the front of the car located in front of the radiators are to cool the compressed and hot refrigerant to the point it turns into a liquid.

A/C lines carry this fluid to a low pressure region of the A/C system where it turns into a vapor. In doing so it cools down. At this point it is probably in the evaporator -- hence the name -- where incoming air is able to give up its heat and moisture.

After the evaporator the refrigerant now warm and in vapor form once more is routed to the compressor which compresses it and heats it and then it is on to the condensers and so on.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
kurtv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaporator Cleaning

I saw a presentation on Motorweek that covered this with a product called Frigi Clean recommended for use once a year.-

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...ac_maintenance

Frigi_Clean has an adaptor that comes with it that gets installed in the housing under the hood and then the foam from this is injected through that adaptor and it just floods this whole evaporator area, cleans it. Cleans it like brand new. Makes it last longer, and does away with the odor.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
What is the costly maintenance procedure that a filter in the recirculation loop prevents? Most people don't leave their AC in recirc mode all the time, and in fact it is not recommended.

Porsche's thinking is probably that if you filter ALL airflow entering the passenger cabin then there will be little need to filter recirculated air.

"in fact it is NOT recommended.."

Not recommended, even hazardous in climates/periods requiring cabin HEATING. Recirculate use in those conditions often results in rising Rh due to body metabolism, windshield begins to fog up, sometime suddenly.

Counter that with the fact that A/C can be much more efficient for strictly cooling inn recirculate mode.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
What is the costly maintenance procedure that a filter in the recirculation loop prevents? Most people don't leave their AC in recirc mode all the time, and in fact it is not recommended.

Porsche's thinking is probably that if you filter ALL airflow entering the passenger cabin then there will be little need to filter recirculated air.

"in fact it is NOT recommended.."

Not recommended, even hazardous in climates/periods requiring cabin HEATING. Recirculate use in those conditions often results in rising Rh due to body metabolism, windshield begins to fog up, sometimes suddenly.

Counter that with the fact that A/C can be much more efficient for strictly cooling in recirculate mode.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts
Default Evap System Diags from PET

Originally Posted by Macster
A/C lines carry this fluid to a low pressure region of the A/C system where it turns into a vapor. In doing so it cools down. At this point it is probably in the evaporator -- hence the name -- where incoming air is able to give up its heat and moisture.
I can't find it in any PET diagram..... they just a a big plastic housing noted. Maybe I am just missing it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You know, as I look at that diagram again, I may be misunderstanding it.... it appears the heat exchanger, 2, slides into 1.... it may not. The heat exchanger is in a cowling in the front trunk and may sit in front of #1 which sits on the other side of the "firewall" behind the dash. That section 1 may have the evaporator coils in there and are hidden in the diagram. But where are the hookups for the AC lines?

The description of 1 specifically says the evaporator is included.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce
Old 05-06-2014, 09:43 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

HoW2's

997 Cabin Filter R&R
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

That for fresh aiir filter. 997.2 does not have recirculated air filter
Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM
wwest
Drifting

Pictorial diagram does NOT match the listing!

4. Expansion valve.

#4 in pictorial shows to be a bolt.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

West, it does bro, 4 is the common oem lighter type expansion valve with the holding bolt
Old 05-06-2014, 03:27 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Anyways back to my original inquiry. Anybody try out those coil cleaners in a can that you just spray on? Do they work in cleaning the evap, without actually removing the whole system?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Anyways back to my original inquiry. Anybody try out those coil cleaners in a can that you just spray on? Do they work in cleaning the evap, without actually removing the whole system?
I used some sort of spray... put system on high, remove pollen filter, spray, flip between hot/cold, spray - spray - spray.

I hated the smell...... my car smelled like a purple caddy with full hydraulics that lasted a few weeks IIRC.

It did not work, but the problem was a leaking heat exchanger and the smell was actually antifreeze. You would think mechanics would recognize the smell, but they did not. It had a musty, maple syrup smell.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-07-2014, 01:01 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Back when this mould/mildew odor first began a problem, early ninties when evaporator's were first becoming super-dense many dealers had a "solution". Then folks started looking at the MSDS, table of contents for the various sprays, etc.....

Many were not conducive to human life.....

Be careful......
Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
wwest
Drifting

The absolute BEST solution!

http://www.airsept.com/index.php?loadmod=eed
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Resurrecting this thread. Has anybody cleaned their evaporator without dismantling the dashboard?. Anybody use the evaporator cleaners in a can? In our cabin there are two heat exchangers 1 is the heater heat exchanger where coolant from the engine flows. This is used to heat the cabin in cold climate areas. The other heat exchanger is the evaporator that flows refrigerant used in hotter climate areas. The heater is easily removed from the front i believe. However the evaporator for cooling is a separate issue needing extensive dismantling and lots of labor hours. To avoid this expensive maintenance service there are some suppliers who now use cleaners in a can that are injected through the housing to the evaporator to clean and disinfect it. I just don't know if it's effective...

Quick Reply: Ac evaporator cleaning