Sponsored by:

Installed Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads on a 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Advising/advocating non-stock pads on a performance car forum is potentially asking for trouble.
Ummmm, I had no idea that this was only a performance car forum... but God forbid I don't wan't any trouble!!
Old 01-08-2016, 05:00 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will Hawk Ceramics be OK in the Winter ?
Anyone with experience ?
Old 01-09-2016, 06:49 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts

Subscribed
Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used mine now for almost 2 years and have had no issues summer or winter. We do get some cold days here but nothing like you have in Canada. I think the bigger concern in the winter is more the tires than the brakes though. My summer Michelin PS2's are like hockey pucks on sub freezing days.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:50 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Advising/advocating non-stock pads on a performance car forum is potentially asking for trouble. Those who do so, better have adequate liability insurance.

And this to avoid a little brake dust.
What should I be worried about?
I'm considering these...
Old 01-10-2016, 02:57 AM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
What should I be worried about?
I'm considering these...
Nothing. It's just stupidity.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:43 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Before I went out to wash the car, I thought I'd share this...

To get an idea of how conservative the dusting is with the Hawk Ceramics, here are closeups of my front wheel (1st photo) and back wheel (2nd photo) after two weeks and probably somewhere around 300 to 350 miles of around-town driving. One thing to note is with normal pads the front wheel is normally much darker than the back wheel, especially around the outer rim. Here you can tell a little difference but not a lot. Note that the barrels stayed pretty clean too.

This was all dry weather driving (maybe a faint mist one day) which helps, but still this is really really good. Note that the first several drives after installation you will get a little more dust and it will lessen as they settle in, but it will still be better than OEM. Also note that I didn't do too much hard core driving during those couple of weeks (for a C2S anyway, maybe more aggressive compared to other drivers ). I'll show a little more dusting after a hard core drive.

I'd suggest googling around for the best price on any given day. Some places had better prices for front, some for back, and some charge more for shipping. There are a lot of variables. I got mine from Stillen at these prices:
HB667Z.622: $94.56
HB664Z.634: $165.75
Free shipping
Soooo, this is indeed good news.... One greatbig beef i had with my car....wait...the ONLY beef of any kind i have is the brake dust...otherwise it is friggidiggy perfect.....sorry for the strong language, but these are strong words for a strong attraction...and,wow, looks like an awesome solution, and i a guessing they will last longer as well...
Old 01-10-2016, 03:49 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts

Do they eat into the rotors more than stock? I personally have not been bothered by brake dust, I thin BMWs are far worse. However, when the time comes to replace it is good to have options.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Do they eat into the rotors more than stock? I personally have not been bothered by brake dust, I thin BMWs are far worse. However, when the time comes to replace it is good to have options.
Mike,

I have driven my car about 10,000 miles since I installed the Hawk pads. At that time I also replaced the front discs with Porsche OEM discs. I have not noticed a unusual amount of disc (rotor) wear.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:00 PM
911searcher
Pro

I should order backs and fronts ... I only need the fronts now.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:14 AM
911searcher
Pro

Originally Posted by AMG5PT4
Have had my 2010 997.2 Carrera S for 3 weeks. Was time for a complete brake job. Front Zimmermann rotors, front Hawk ceramic pads, rear Hawk ceramic pads (rear rotors were excellent). All new Porsche hardware. Had to stop the OEM pad dust!!

Al
Tell us how the Hawk Ceramic Pads go !

Do the pads come with new sensors ?
Old 03-01-2016, 12:59 PM
AMG5PT4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed front and rear Hawk ceramic pads this past weekend on my 997.2 Carrera S. See post here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...today-239.html

Also installed front Zimmermann rotors. When buying Hawk pads - your get the pads and a packet of brake squeal goo. I also replaced the front caliper piston insert plates, pad spring, pad retainer pin, cotter-type pin, small rotor screws and the caliper bolts. For the rears, just the pads were replaced. I didn't order new wear sensors as my pads had not worn down to the sensors and I was careful removing them.

The front Hawk pads had a thin plate stuck on the back of the pads similar to the OEM pads. However, the rear Hawk pads had no thin plate stuck to the back of the pads. After I removed the OEM rear pads, I pried off the OEM backing plate but it could not be applied to the back of the Hawk pads because the OEM plate has 4 little dimples that fit into four little depressions on the OEM pads. Installed the rear Hawk pads with no thin backing plate and have had no squeal issues at all.

I bedded the pads/rotors as is described in the Forum and have had no issues at all with any squeal or noticeable loss of stopping efficacy. The coating on the Zimmermann rotors obviously was immediately worn off, but the dust seems to be much less (the whole reason for the switch to ceramic pads). I am partial to Akebono pads, having used them in all my older Mercs - almost zero dust from Akebono pads.

So far, I am happy. I have the 997 Turbo I wheels with the split spokes and these wheels are a PITA to clean OEM dust off....

As an installation note, the two small screws that hold the rotor to the hub can be a pain to break free with a Phillips screwdriver. I tired that first and could not get enough torque to break the screw free without starting to round out the screw head. Luckily, I have an impact driver that I used with a fat phillips bit - THAT did the trick! I had new screws and applied anti-seize to the the screws to avoid the corrosion that made them hard to remove. I also coated the hub where the wheel seats with anti-seize for ease of future removal.

Al
Old 03-02-2016, 11:56 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by AMG5PT4
I also coated the hub where the wheel seats with anti-seize for ease of future removal.
Thanks for the info but this is confusing. Where did you apply the anti-seize? Between the hub and rotor hat or between the rotor hat and the wheel? If you applied it between he hub and the wheel you forgot to install your rotor.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:57 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Thanks for the info but this is confusing. Where did you apply the anti-seize? Between the hub and rotor hat or between the rotor hat and the wheel? If you applied it between he hub and the wheel you forgot to install your rotor.
Instead of between, wouldn't it be on the wheel hub and the top of the rotor hat?

Wheel hub is a good idea, rotor hat maybe if you go very long period without taking the wheel off.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Installing the Hawk ceramic brake pads on my 09 4S Cab was definitely a home run. Can't believe I waited so long after all the research I did to believe it was worth doing. Now my wheels stay clean for long periods of time instead of needing to wash them every couple weeks. For anyone who is thinking of doing it.....get on it.

Quick Reply: Installed Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads on a 997.2