Sponsored by:

Question/advice on OBD error message

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Nielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question/advice on OBD error message

Just took my '05 'S' to our local environmental test station where we must test our cars. The gauge cluster was NOT functioning because I had fiddled with it and hadn't pushed the wire harness all the way home. The OBD test read error code P0074, which according to the AirCare web site is: "Ambient air temperature sensor circuit 'A' intermittent/erratic". Could this be because the gauge cluster was not connected. I know the cluster has an outside ambient air temperature reading on it--which obviously wasn't working.....? The gauges work fine now, but I don't want to pay another $25 just to receive another error message. Anyone know anything about error code 0074?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a similar experience. Removed the cluster to paint the trim. During reinstall, the connector was not pushed all the way in so no activity on the cluster. Drove the car and the sport mode and PASM buttons would not activate. After resetting the connector on the back of the cluster, everything returned to normal. No error codes showing with Durametric now either.

Any local auto parts chain store can do an OBDII scan for you for free. Perhaps start there. Another option is the ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII dongle from eBay (go with the small v1.5 version) and the Torque Free app running on your smartphone. This is a really cheap and powerful OBD scanner setup (less than $10).
Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 AM
Nielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I wanted to hear--exactly! Thanks for that, semicycler. I'll assume that the error message has gone away now that my gauges are up-and-running.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

doesnt tell you much and sounds like your issue sorted itself out but FWIW:

P0074
Fault entry in specified control module (in your case, the Ambient air temp circuit, i guess)

Note!
Internal function test completed.

Diagnostic conditions
The control module initially tests internal function sequences after wake-up. If they are OK, all diagnosable outputs are then tested and any faults are stored.
Control module wake-up through:
--event-induced CAN message
--wake-up signal via wake-up line
--key contact (terminal S)
--"Ignition on"

Possible fault causes
--Control module is incorrectly coded
--Periphery connected to specified control module is incorrect
--Control module faulty (in most cases the cause is not the control module but incorrect coding!)

Fault effects
--The specified control module sends only substitute values via the CAN.
--Other control modules detect these substitute values and set this fault code.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Nielsen
The gauges work fine now, but I don't want to pay another $25 just to receive another error message.
I don't know about your area, but in Texas retests are free if the first test resulted in a failure and you get your retest within 15 days. It's not clear from your post if you had a failure or not.

Also, in my area Autozones and Pep Boys will read the code for free.

Quick Reply: Question/advice on OBD error message