Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   PCA Track Events (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/802247-pca-track-events.html)

Schpee007 02-25-2014 11:34 PM

PCA Track Events

Thinking I want to put my car on a track this season to experience what my 997 was built for. No intentions to drive her to the limit, just want to get out there and experience it. So, as a complete newbie what should be on the preparation checklist?

Thanks in advance for the sage counsel of the community.

1990nein 02-26-2014 05:10 AM

1) Get a Snell rated helmet, and make sure your car has no leaks.
2) Ensure you have a few mm tire tread and brake pads.
3) Go out and have fun. Remember to bring a chair.
4) Don't make this list too long

Schpee007 02-26-2014 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast (Post 11167412)
1) Get a Snell rated helmet, and make sure your car has no leaks.
2) Ensure you have a few mm tire tread and brake pads.
3) Go out and have fun. Remember to bring a chair.
4) Don't make this list too long

Thanks, Pho King Fast! I chuckle everytime I read your screen name. :)

Fred R. C4S 02-26-2014 03:47 PM

Have you tried the Search function? This has been answered numerous times. Here's a list one driver posted.

Tire pressure gauge
Mini tool kit
Torque wrench
Mech gloves
Duct tape
Pliers
Screwdriver
Compressor
Rags
Blanket
Windex
Detailer
Pyrometer
Driving gloves
Shoes
Helmet
Hans
Long sleeve shirt
Contacts
Camera
Snacks
Water
chair

MuffinMan 02-26-2014 03:51 PM

Flush your brake fluid prior to the event, and consider a variant with a higher boiling point.

dasams 02-26-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Schpee007 (Post 11167009)
So, as a complete newbie what should be on the preparation checklist?

The PCA Golden Gate Region hosts track events at Thunderhill among other sites and they've posted the tech inspection form on their website. Download this: http://www.pca-ggr.org/files/pdf/PCA...ech%20Form.pdf

Don't forget painter's tape which is used for your race numbers. In your case, blue may not be a good choice LOL

Schpee007 02-26-2014 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S (Post 11168809)
Have you tried the Search function? This has been answered numerous times. Here's a list one driver posted.

Tire pressure gauge
Mini tool kit
Torque wrench
Mech gloves
Duct tape
Pliers
Screwdriver
Compressor
Rags
Blanket
Windex
Detailer
Pyrometer
Driving gloves
Shoes
Helmet
Hans
Long sleeve shirt
Contacts
Camera
Snacks
Water
chair

Fred,

Yep on the search function. Returned gobs of threads; so, decided to just ask. Continuing to work on my search skills. :-)

Thanks a bunch for the list you shared. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Pete

BlueJay73 02-26-2014 07:41 PM

When I started, I'd put a Home Depot or Lowes 5gallon bucket in the trunk (to be removed of course, before getting on the track). In the bucket: painter's tape, a quart or two of Mobil 1, rags, paper towels, a box of latex gloves for my hands, tire pressure gauge. In the trunk, a torque wrench and socket. In the car, a collapsable chair, small ice chest with drinks. Snell 2005 helmet (still good) or 2010 helmet (can't get on the track w/o a helmet). For starters, that's about it. Everything about tracking escalates, however. If you've never tracked before, you're in for an experience!

Yellow996 02-26-2014 08:23 PM

Our region, (Riesentoter), has a wonderfully comprehensive Driver's Ed Manual which we recommend to all of our students prior to attending their first DE.

http://www.rtr-pca.org/index.php/act...ducation-forms

Click on the Driver's Education Manual pdf.

Have fun!

Schpee007 02-26-2014 08:32 PM

Great stuff contributed here by all. Thanks so much!!! :thumbup:

Harvey in FL 02-27-2014 10:35 AM

I have found that watching a video of other cars at the track where you are going to drive will help you learn the track as you will need to know what's coming up next on the track. Don't worry about the turn in points as they may be different depending on your speed and skill level. Your instructor will help you with this. I would sit in front of the monitor and watch the video with the course map in hand for 30 minutes each night for three or four nights before the DE. Also, try to remember where the corner worker stations are located and what the flags mean before you do the DE.

Remember you are driving a Porsche and have lots of fun. Speed will come with more seat time.

Good luck and enjoy permagrin. :)

MuffinMan 02-27-2014 11:00 AM

I second that. And if the track happens to be in Forza (xbox), virtually driving the circuit is a great way to generally learn the track...or at least know whether the next turn is a left or right. When going to a new track blind, I always found a good portion of my first couple runs were focused on learning the track rather than on the art of driving. This applies more to longer tracks rather than short, simple ones like Limerock.

Schpee007 02-27-2014 12:21 PM

Found some videos from the track on YouTube. Sweet! :)