How many Targa 4 owners here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:05 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many Targa 4 owners here?

Hey guys,

I really love the targa and I'm wondering how many of have the Targas and how you like them? What do you like most about them and how many here have the basic Targa 4 model vs. the 4S? How many have sport chrono +? Would you buy another one or change models?

Thanks

Tim
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 997.1 Targa 4S. I like the added utility provided by the rear window hatch, and I like the chrome accent strip along the roof line. I also like the more open feel the car offers even with the Targa top closed due to the large panorama roof. On the downside, I don't like the less stiff chassis and occasional creaks relative to the coupe.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would buy a Targa any day if the right one came along. I like the styling and even though a lot of people on here think the redesigned 2014 Targa series is unappealing, I think they are wicked cool.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 AM
Techbod
Track Day

Thumbs up 997.2 Targa 4S is awesome.

I have a 2010 Targa 4S PDK and it is awesome. The panoramic glass - open or closed - makes for a bright, futuristic daily driver. The hatch is convenient (two golf bags, no problem). And the relative rarity of the car makes it feel so much more special than a regular C4, C4S, etc. Now that L.A. is crawling with 991s, 997s seem a bit retro in comparison. But the unique bubble roof, and the last-of-its-kind design, makes this feel timeless and special.

The only Targa-specific drawback I can report is a bit of creaking/rattling when the roof is closed, and poor rear visibility when it is open (two panes of curved glass to look through, and a solar-shade enclosure in the way). Also, there is no one-touch close for the roof (unless there is - please enlighten me?), so every arrival is accompanied by a symphony of one-touch, semi-one-touch, manual and one-touch closings of the passenger-, driver-, top, and solar shade, respectively.

Benefits strongly outweigh drawbacks, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 AM
tommy618
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a non S 997.2 Targa 4. Just bought it last year. Just like what others have said:

+ Glass roof feels brighter and looks better
+ Hatchback for shopping and golf bags
+ Rarity among other 911s

- Creaks, especially in this cold NY weather
- Poor rear visibility when open

Was shopping for a 911 (no particular model) for months. Got lucky and found this one with most of the options I wanted. PDK, SportsChrono+, Nav, Bose, Power Seats, etc. Would definitely buy it again. GLWP.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 PM
911targa4s
3rd Gear

I have a 2009 Targa 4S. Bought it last year with 13k miles on it. Daily driver and LOVE it. Was deciding between the Targa or Turbo and went Targa. It's plenty of car. I'll get an older turbo for the track. I love the roofline accented with the chrome strip on the Targa. The open feeling of the Targa is something that can't be described, just needs to be experienced. For those in the Pacific NW where it rains a lot, having the Targa is perfect I think.
The difference between the .1 and .2 with DFI and the changes to PCM was significant enough for me to go for the 09. It also helped there was one locally in such pristine condition.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Dirtmerchant
Rennlist Member

How is the headroom in the rear seats vs a coupe with Targa roof open?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirtmerchant
How is the headroom in the rear seats vs a coupe with Targa roof open?
LOL, what bedroom?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 AM
Frugger
Intermediate

+1 on all of the comments above. When I decided I was going to buy a 911 it was going to be a Targa or nothing. I drove a base 991 with a glass roof and the 997.2 Targa was by far a better buy as it was a 4S compared to the 991. The only downside are the scarce numbers available for re-sale which keeps prices high compared to a C2S or C4S (and I ended up spending more then I wanted to). If I had to do it all over again I would without hesitating.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 PM
NJtarga4
Advanced

I couldn't wait to get my Targa so I purchased an introduction model the day they came out ( ordered previously). I love the open feeling of the roof, I find that I can use it every day here in the east ( except this winter) and I love the four wheel drive. The noise in the roof drove me a little nuts but I ended up with sponge rubber adhesive weatherstripping stuck in the front and I haven't had a creak or groan since. I think that it is the most useful and yet safe sports car going and although the new one looks pretty and has all the bells and whistles my car is a keeper. Love the open glass over my head and even better when it is open, almost in all weather.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Targa 4s 997.1 here. Love it. I don't like the look of the new one. The only downside is the roof does squeak a bit over bumps. Get the S. Only thing I would trade for is a 997.2 Turbo S but that wasn't an option then and it ain't now either!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Volnomad
LOL, what bedroom?
You know...that space in the back of your car where you can smuggle a couple of midgets.

I actually managed to fit 2 of my friends back there, they are a sweet little couple, neither over 4ft 8in and they were comfy.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Dirtmerchant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
I actually managed to fit 2 of my friends back there, they are a sweet little couple, neither over 4ft 8in and they were comfy.
Were you able to open the roof with said short people in the back?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I specifically chose to seek out a Targa 4 and not a Targa 4S 997.2 because I got no benefit from the standard stuff the 4S would give me (don't need the 3.8l engine vs 3.6l engine, I wanted the smaller sized rims as well, had no interest in 19" wheels).

I love it, and I purchased many of the options (NAV, Universal Audio Interface, Heated Seats, Sport Chrono, Interior door cubby and back floor lighting, and a few others). I didn't want Bose, and opted for Sport Chrono more for the configuation options that it brought with it, the clock I've not used much. It would be the only option I'd consider not getting, if you can set the settings via other means (dealer PIWIS or 3rd party programming software). I think most of them I set to my liking and then never change.

Echo the other's comments: the roominess feel from the glass roof is worth it. The pano roof that can be opened and closed while car is in motion is super... no stressing about it starting to rain.. just press & hold the button.

The rear hatch is invaluable for many things. Got a TV mount box in the car no problems, which would be impossible by shoving them behind the seats through the doors.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't see this thread till now, but it's great to hear from other Targa owners. I posted this before but after shopping for 911's I just kept thinking "damn if this rear window only opened up the car would be so much more useful," and then after searching for 911 hatch (or something like that) I discovered the Targa and knew no other 911 would be suitable for me. (since I can have only 1 car I need one that's versatile) After almost tripling my budget from the first 996 Targa I won on ebay then passed on during the PPI, I ended up getting a 2010 Targa 4S with only 11K miles and almost every option except PCCB and sport exhaust). Ventillated seats was a must have for me since I tend to sweat so much while concentrating while driving. Black on black wasn't my first choice but it has grown on me. Deciding on a PDK car is what really blew my budget out of the water, but living in NYC it seemed to make sense after driving a 6 speed for 10 years, sometimes in brutal traffic.

So here's a bit of sacrilege... If needed how would I be able to drive (short distances at low speeds) with the hatch open, but tied down? Like if I had a huge box that wouldn't fit inside or a long board from Home Depot. Can anyone think of good tie down points so I could secure the hatch from bouncing and breaking the struts. I really think it can be done without damaging the car, if I hit on the right method.

As far as the roof creaking, I thought I had read about someone who cleaned then coated the rubber
with something and that totally stopped the squeak. Anyone have any experience with this method?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to drive the car since I took delivery on Xmas day. I was only able to drive the car for a short time until my transport pass ran out, as the car is unregiserable until the previous owner gets a new title. Maybe I'll ask for advice on that one in a new thread.

I just keep on focusing on the great weather coming soon and eventually driving with that top open.

Quick Reply: How many Targa 4 owners here?