Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM
997sxv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No experience with jiffy but I use grease monkey. I bring all the parts and they change the oil with me in the pit. Verified torque settings and all. The manager is a Porsche guy and always wonders why more club members don't use his service. I do my own in the summer and grease monkey does the winter service. No problems.

Twin lakes washington dealer
Old 11-10-2021, 01:33 PM
777AIA
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spittingcobra
...was wondering if anyone else has used one of these avenues and experiences therein or is this just a bad idea? Thx.
Jiffy Lube. Mobil One. Quick-Lane. Valvoline. Others? - All these fast oil change joints are basically the same, and not really set up for Porsche. The recommended drain time is never observed (and even the smart mechanic will get yelled at by his supervisor for trying to do it right... 'taking too long'). They don't usually have the recommended filters, so you'd be bringing your own. They don't usually USE your recommended oil (sometimes EVEN if you BRING your own!). They often don't have the tools to remove underbody panels, when needed, or to reinstall. Some don't have the lift points to match with the Porsche, or 'don't care'. So, to put it simply, its an easy and good DIY project. Or, Its worth the crazy $299 charge at the dealer. ie: Its a no brainer.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:39 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Holy 8 years Batman!
The following users liked this post:
StormRune (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 05:19 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

About 20 years ago I took my wife’s Grand Cherokee to a JL. When I started the car up when they were done I noticed it didn’t build up oil pressure so got out to check level. Turns out they didn’t put any oil in. Glad it was me driving because there’s no way my wife would have noticed and she would have driven it until the motor seized. Haven’t been back to any sort of quick lube place since.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:58 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 124 Posts

JIffyLube stripped my Acura TL's oil pan bolt. Next time I took the car to the dealer for other work, they went to change the oil and told me it was toast. New pan. Never going back to JL. You never know who you are going to get for a tech.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:59 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

Anyone, especially on RL, who is seriously considering getting their oil changed at a JL or like shop, will have their Porsche ownership card immediately revoked and the driving gods will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger!

Old 11-10-2021, 09:33 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Anyone, especially on RL, who is seriously considering getting their oil changed at a JL or like shop, will have their Porsche ownership card immediately revoked and the driving gods will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger!
Oh boy Busta - here we go...

Better get prepared for a sharp reply to your message above from sandwedge...

Old 11-10-2021, 10:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

2009 C2S 177K miles

I just had my oil changed at some no-name place on Buford Highway outside of Atlanta. Guy barely spoke English... no torque wrench... I supplied the filter and oil. Went fine... no explosions.

I know, I know. Screwing a little plug out and in requires an engineering degree and fluency in German.... I get it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-11-2021, 03:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Originally Posted by Ironman88
Oh boy Busta - here we go...

Better get prepared for a sharp reply to your message above from sandwedge...
Good guess Ironman. So here goes. Busta Rib, a somewhat decent sermon but total BS imo. There are good and bad oil change shops out there as an alternative to some dealerships doing it for close to $500. Around $300 seems more typical but is still ridiculous for what amounts to about 20 minutes of actual labor, a $25 filter kit and the cost of 8 qts. of oil.

You have to pick your spot. I had my last oil change done by Zippy Lube. A buddy of mine had his 997.1 done by them and is the reason I ended up there. He said they do Porsches on a regular basis. Probably not daily but often enough where they had the torque numbers for both the drain plug and the filter housing. I brought those numbers but was told they didn't need them. The service manager gave me the numbers he had. Spot on with the numbers I brought.

They drained for about 30 minutes at which time a drop here and there could be seen. I know because my car was on a lift right next to the waiting area with a huge window so I could watch the whole process. I brought the filter kit and the oil so total cost came to $23. The tech doing the work even came into the waiting area and showed me the old crush washer which he then dropped in a waste basket. A lousy $23 beats the hell out of crawling around on your back under a lowered car, at least to me.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:04 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 177K miles

I just had my oil changed at some no-name place on Buford Highway outside of Atlanta. Guy barely spoke English... no torque wrench... I supplied the filter and oil. Went fine... no explosions.

I know, I know. Screwing a little plug out and in requires an engineering degree and fluency in German.... I get it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Screwing the plug out and then back in is the least of the concerns.

This, on the other hand, is what would prevent me from going with any quickie no-name oil change place...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-overfill.html

Old 11-11-2021, 02:58 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

I've heard of "Iffy Lube" but not Jiffy lube. I personally choose to do my own oil changes. I always find more stuff to do while I am under there....especially after a visit to the dealer/shop

The following users liked this post:
997.2GTS (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 03:10 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by thekubiaks
Yes, they are that bad. I took a Honda Accord in for an oil change because I was in a hurry. I then drove the Honda home with my wife following me. She called and said the Honda is smoking. The dumba$$es overfilled the oil by a whole quart.

Would I take my 911 C4S to them....NoF'ingWay
yeah they fill the amount it tells them to on their job sheet, does not matter how much came out. I used a quick lube place on my VW, they didn't change the crush washer so I dropped the drain plug swapped the washer and put the plug back in quick.

The car was still refilled when I checked the oil....
Old 11-11-2021, 03:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
CAVU (11-11-2021), TheMurse (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 03:17 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

When I had a Civic and was broke I’d find a local lube shop, bring my oil and filter and let them do it. Never a problem and was like $20-30 bucks. Even then I wouldn’t use a national brand quick lube place. There are easy ways to get cheap oil changes where you’re more likely to get some amount of care/thought. The problem with the national places is that it’s all done by a sheet, no thought, and often they’re guys with no prior automotive experience.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Not a Porsche story, but my brother in law had taken his Lexus to jiffy lube for an oil change, few days latter the car seized on the highway (I 405 in S Cal). Towed it to the Lexus dealer where the entire brake system was destroyed. They found antifreeze in the brake lines.

Apparently jiffy lube 'tops off fluids', and whomever changed the oil mistakenly put antifreeze in the brake fluid container instead. Brother-in law had to take them to small claims court to get them to pay the Lexus bill to rebuild the brake system, but there was no doubt they were at fault.

Quick Reply: Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?