Sponsored by:

Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
Will a JL let the car sit in a bay for the 20-30 minute drain interval?

If I were concern about oil change costs, I'd force myself to learn DIY before I'd go to JL.
For the DFI engine the minimum drain time is 1 hour provided the engine/oil is up to some minimum temperature (170F or higher).
Old 02-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, some are that bad. While the oil change is a DIY task it is not a task without risk if the job is done improperly.

There are many ways to screw this up and this quicky lube joints have I think found almost all of them.

I took my Boxster to one quicky lube place. It should have known better when I had to point out where the engine was to the techů

Short version is the tech didn't insert the tool bit deep enough in the drain plug and he buggered the drain plug so when I took the next time the car needed an oil service and I took the car to the dealer the tech had a heck of a time getting the drain plug out of the pan. He managed but I had to replace the drain plug. This was a drain plug that had lasted years and years with uncounted removals/installations from both a dealer tech and myself.

The drain interval wants to be of a specific duration. Then the tech adds the exact amount of oil -- as per the factory manual or TSB or whatever -- not what is listed in the owners manual! -- and verifies the digital e-oil level display reads the proper level. This is the only opportunity to check this against adding a known quantity of oil to an engine that has been properly drained of its oil.

There are more than just the oil and filter to worry about. The oil drain plug seal washer needs to be replaced. The oil filter o-ring needs to be replaced. The o-ring needs to be checked to ensure it is in the o-ring groove and not in a thread where it can catch and be cut and result in a leak, or a filter housing that is not installed properly.

There is to the concern about over tightening things. One quicky lube joint informed me that its corporate rules required it to torque all drain plugs down to 50 ftlbs. Well, that might work for some old Detroit pick up truck but not for my Boxster engine's drain plug and not even for my GTO's drain plug.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Chrono
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know how to use Norton Utilities?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM
iammulva
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
Yes, many ppl do.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Wrong forum though.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM
997_Toronto
User

Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
Yes, it's one of the worst designed products, it's a resource hog and causes more problems than helping keep things running smoothly. All you need is a decent firewall and an antivirus for a home machine.

PS: It does not help with oil changes on your P-car
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM
GSIRM3
Super User

Originally Posted by Jaws1 View Post
Most use pits, not lifts. The 997 oil change is really simple, but that being said, if something can go wrong a quick lube place will figure out how to make it happen. Just find an indy.
Exactly. Like cross-threading the drain plug or over torquing it and stripping it.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Lance-AR
User

I changed my 997 oil on a completely flat surface without the aid of ramps or a jack. It was worth knowing I had properly torqued everything myself.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM
targaC4S
User

Originally Posted by lancewoodson View Post
I changed my 997 oil on a completely flat surface without the aid of ramps or a jack. It was worth knowing I had properly torqued everything myself.
Had your torque wrench recalibrated in the last 6 months? Haha jk
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM
stronbl
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's been said several times already, but can't be repeated enough IMHO - caution due to improper threading of drain plug into oil pan, leaky or missing crush washer, over torque drain plug, and rounded hex head in drain plug. Common problems on any vehicle at a quik lube place, but especially a potential issue with 997's & 991's and the AL engine parts.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Smitten
Addict
Rennlist Member

Early in this thread, somebody said any competent mechanic can change oil. While that's certainly true, there are no mechanics at the quick lube places. None. Zero. Let alone competent ones.

I took a new 4Runner into a JL. I was on the road, far from home, and still had a couple thousand km ahead so I didn't want to let it go too long. The kid in the pit was barely ok with cars he knew but totally over his head with any vehicle he hadn't seen before. The thing that pi$$ed me off the most was that they only looked for the filter after they had dumped my oil. And I had to get in the pit to show him where the drain plug and filter element were, and how to get to them behind the skid plate.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
thekubiaks
User

Originally Posted by myw View Post
wow is jiffy lube THAT bad?

i figured the oil change is DIY level of difficulty so i figured it wouldnt be a problem.
Yes, they are that bad. I took a Honda Accord in for an oil change because I was in a hurry. I then drove the Honda home with my wife following me. She called and said the Honda is smoking. The dumba$$es overfilled the oil by a whole quart.

Would I take my 911 C4S to them....NoF'ingWay
Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM
PhilD
User

Only time I used JL was for a H1 when I was out of town, no problems at all. On the other hand the Hummer dealer failed to tighten the oil filter one time and I had dumped all the oil 800 yards from the dealer. You can find incompetence any where. That said, JL would not be on my top 10 list for a Porsche oil change. If you don't want to do it yourself and want to save some money find an indy that at least has worked on p-cars before, the ones that specialize in European or German cars are likely a good bet.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 AM
hot nikon
User

My indie guy did mine last week, $150.

AND, checked underside, wheels.

A good indie is a blessing.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 PM
too tall
User

At the risk of piling on. When I first read this thread what immedately comes to mind is "I'd rather claw my one good eye out slowly with a pickle fork".

It is your Porsche you do what you want.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Fahrer
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several years ago, I took my 1999 Audi A6 to Jiffy Lube once because I was headed for a long drive vacation and could not get a near tem appointment through the Audi dealer for an oil change. No probelm, they had a suitable oil and off I went with no problems. The next oil change, I took it to the Audi dealer, as usual. After completing the service, they informed me that half of the screws holding the under body faring to the car were missing. This panel must be removed to get to the the oil drain. I guess it cold have come loose and caused some damage but I was lucky. Never again....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: