Sponsored by:

Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

this is very good advice.

i always put no more then 7.5 quarts or Litres and then start using the guage carefully to 'top up' to teh proper level. if you put in 9 litres without checking you'll very likely overfill with oil.

Originally Posted by tgavem
Sometimes not fully drained and if you fill by manual it will be overfilled.
Check your gauge after..
Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

The real issue is lack of familiarity. Places like that just don't see these cars that often mostly because no Porsche owner would generally consider taking their baby to Jiffy Lube. Of course, as with all places, they will never tell you that it's the first 997 that they ever changed the oil on. (But it will be). Unless you have a special go-to guy at JL who you can trust and educate, why take the chance? Just do it at home. It's so easy to do it's not worth my time going anywhere but to my own garage.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Most larger cities have specialty shops for high end cars like Porsche that have properly trained Porsche techs. The one I use in Austin does great work but typically comes in around 25-30% cheaper than the dealer for the same work. I'd suggest using one of those as a reasonable compromise.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

A buddy took his car to a quick change place in high school. They forgot to put the drain plug in and despite the trail of oil from the building to the block and a half away before his car died, they tried to get out of it. Luckily his dad was an attorney and as soon as he showed up things took a different tone. I refuse to spend money on the lowest common denominator in life. Sorry. My dealer charges me $100 if I bring in my own oil. Worth it to have them look the car over twice a year.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother used JL a couple times for the A4. They forgot the install the crush ring/gasket on the drain plug. Couldn't get the drain plug out after that and had to replace the pan. I would do it myself before I let JL touch any of my cars, especially the Porsche's.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

While I wouldn't have a problem with using the better Porsche indys (and there are plenty in SoCal), but so far I have always used my dealer. I've been friends with their head mechanic for 20 years, he's literally one of the best in the country, I know the dealer management very well, they always take very, very good care of me and usually extend some discounts, and now that I'm out of factory warranty and with Fidelity (purchased through the dealer) I feel there is a little more leverage with Fidelity if I need it. And free loan cars (usually Porsche, rental if they don't have a car, and in a pinch my very close friend, former GM of Porsche and now GM of Audi/VW, same place, will give me one of his Audi loaners). In short, my dealer treats me like a king.

I see people here complaining about oil change costs, and while occasionally the price IS absurd, most of the time its several hundred dollars. My attitude is if it costs $200-$300, who cares? Why not get it done right? So you can save $100-$150 at JF? Who cares?

Note, I have no problem with spending money cautiously and no problem with those who have the time and inclination to change their own oil and even appreciate that, but generally speaking I just never have the time.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC, one of the fast lube places, don't remember which one, left a shop rag on / wedged in the exhaust manifold of a 991 owned by a forum member.

Later, the engine compartment burst into flames when the manifold got hot enough to ignite the rag.

Seriously, a fine machine deserves fine maintenance... and fast lube places ain't it.

Personally, I'd do it myself as it is so damn easy.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

A friend of mine took her BMW 2002 to Jiffy Lube. They didn't put the drain plug in all the way... all her oil drained out as she was driving on the freeway, engine seized up.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Dubbin'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
A friend of mine took her BMW 2002 to Jiffy Lube. They didn't put the drain plug in all the way... all her oil drained out as she was driving on the freeway, engine seized up.
My Wife went to Mr Lube and a few weeks later lost the drain plug on the freeway... Both girls in the car heard something clingn clank under the car but 'obviously' just as most women would say, they told themselves it was nothing...

Good thing they stopped at Costco where whatever oil was left drained out.... A very nice man urgently told my wife to not start the car... They pushed it in the garage refilled and changed the plug...

IF you do use these rapid lube services, please do yourself a favor and check the drain plug afterwards....

Mark
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Do it yourself!

Its so easy...I did it this past summer with a fellow Porsche owner and I can't believe anyone pays for this service. The hardest part is the disposing of the oil at an oil collection center.

Its very gratifying doing it on your own!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

lol this is why i paid, i didnt want to get dirty lol. for 20$ labour i was ok with it!

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
The hardest part is the disposing of the oil at an oil collection center.
these JL stories are absolutely insane.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have changed the oil in several cars/SUVs/motorcycles I have owned and the 997 is the easiest. Everything is easy to get to and there aren't any covers etc to bother with. As long as you have the basic tools it's a cinch.

That being said I'm sure someone careless could screw it up and if they do it will cost a lot more than what you save by letting a jiffy lube type place do the work.

Ken
Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Will a JL let the car sit in a bay for the 20-30 minute drain interval?

If I were concern about oil change costs, I'd force myself to learn DIY before I'd go to JL.
On the 986 oil change, the person was especially attentive about letting it sit for the stipulated time before doing the change. Thanks all for sharing the horror stories..
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 AM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

My 92 year old Mother has always told me something that I think applies here. "Only the rich can afford bargins."
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like what your mom said. My mother always told me , don't ask someone else to do something for you when you can do it yourself. As long as I can,I will do it myself (hopefully another 40 years).
The following users liked this post:
tomtomtomtom (02-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Oil Change at say a Jiffy lube?