Sponsored by:

Battery maintainer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Looks like this one through AMAZON:
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-382) Comfort Indicator Eyelet for M8 Top Post Batteries: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-382) Comfort Indicator Eyelet for M8 Top Post Batteries: Automotive
Old 06-09-2015, 01:03 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep!

That's the one. Also check so that your Ctek charger has the same quick connector. If so there should be no issue.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

thanks

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I don't have the box or part number but it's the Ctek comfort indicator. So it at least fits my Ctek 45 and some more models with the quick connector. It's in Europe so I'm not sure it's the same name in the U.S. though. Price in Europe is at 15 dollars.

In the picture it's the one to the top right (if you tilt the screen ). I have the one with eyelets and have mounted them fixed to the battery terminals. It even includes a fuse. The light is blinking green, yellow or red depending on battery voltage.

I would really have liked the panel version but I will never carve a hole in the plastic of this car so that version was ruled out.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Powerguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OEM charger works great.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Just another option to consider to make monitoring the charger easy. Mine hangs from the ceiling near the door with a hook to hold the cable when I'm not using it and where I can see the status light when passing through the garage. When hooking it up it is just a matter of cracking the window and plugging it in. Please excuse the messy garage in this photo. The status light shows it is charging (since I just plugged it in):

Old 06-12-2015, 03:09 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there any kind of back up battery that can provide additional charge inside the trunk and without an external power source? I live in a condo and there is no way to have a battery tender or externally supplied power source to the batter. But something that would give the standard battery an extra supply of power to run the computers for three weeks or so would be ideal. Anything out there like that?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 193 Posts

For me (also a CTek) I have to make very certain the charger is firmly plugged into the receptacle. If it's not in all the way just right, I don't get the connection I need. Seems to be a subtle difference between in and out sometimes.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by johnireland
Is there any kind of back up battery that can provide additional charge inside the trunk and without an external power source? I live in a condo and there is no way to have a battery tender or externally supplied power source to the batter. But something that would give the standard battery an extra supply of power to run the computers for three weeks or so would be ideal. Anything out there like that?
I would actually suggest a solar panel that connect directly to the 12-volt cigarette socket. Unless its in a garage of cause. There are some smaller foldable panels you can place on top of the dash. I know it sounds crazy but I get your point - you don't want to disconnect the battery but still would like some maintenance charging.

I just Googled and found this page:

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/
Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

I noticed now with the battery indicator connected that as soon as I unlock and open the frunk it goes to yellow. Also, if I unlock the car and open the doors it goes to red (all interior lights and GPS DVD running etc). Maybe my battery is starting to get close to end of its life. I still have what I believe is the original MOLL battery in the car.

As soon as I lock and close all doors it goes back to green again.

So, it could be worth knowing that the interior lights and DVD etc seem to consume a substantial amount of power. If you measture the battery voltage it is probably wise to do it with only the frunk open and everything else closed and doors locked. Anyone else have the same experience?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:21 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Just another option to consider to make monitoring the charger easy. Mine hangs from the ceiling near the door with a hook to hold the cable when I'm not using it and where I can see the status light when passing through the garage. When hooking it up it is just a matter of cracking the window and plugging it in. Please excuse the messy garage in this photo. The status light shows it is charging (since I just plugged it in):
I do the same thing. I actually have this power/air station mounted at the ceiling in my garage. It's great for my needs. I've only had it for a couple of months but so far so good. Even better I only paid $30 or $340.

Amazon.com: Chamberlain GPS1000 Air, Power and Lighting Garage Power Station, Black: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Chamberlain GPS1000 Air, Power and Lighting Garage Power Station, Black: Home Improvement
Old 06-12-2015, 11:24 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland

I think the only options you have are to disconnect the battery, take it in with you and hook it up to a maintainer. The car battery should last 3 weeks. Just buy a booster pack for emergencies and plan to replace the battery more often. Or drive the car more! Oh well, I used to be in a highrise condo and rarely drove my car, but being a car guy I had to own a car and so it was never a match...I moved.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

I noticed now with the battery indicator connected that as soon as I unlock and open the frunk it goes to yellow. Also, if I unlock the car and open the doors it goes to red (all interior lights and GPS DVD running etc). Maybe my battery is starting to get close to end of its life. I still have what I believe is the original MOLL battery in the car.

So, it could be worth knowing that the interior lights and DVD etc seem to consume a substantial amount of power. If you measture the battery voltage it is probably wise to do it with only the frunk open and everything else closed and doors locked. Anyone else have the same experience?
Normal. Maintainers keep a narrow charging range when the battery is full. Whenever a load appears they start recharging.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

You can check the "birthday" of your original Moll - should be stamped on the top of the negative terminal - can't remember if it's MMYY or WWYY.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:48 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would actually suggest a solar panel that connect directly to the 12-volt cigarette socket. Unless its in a garage of cause. There are some smaller foldable panels you can place on top of the dash. I know it sounds crazy but I get your point - you don't want to disconnect the battery but still would like some maintenance charging.

I just Googled and found this page:

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/
Thanks for the solar info. It really is about when traveling out of town for a longer than two week period. When I'm home I drive it every day.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:17 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
I think the only options you have are to disconnect the battery, take it in with you and hook it up to a maintainer. The car battery should last 3 weeks. Just buy a booster pack for emergencies and plan to replace the battery more often. Or drive the car more! Oh well, I used to be in a highrise condo and rarely drove my car, but being a car guy I had to own a car and so it was never a match...I moved.

When I park longer than two weeks indoors with no access to power, I'll disconnect the negative side of the battery and leave the hood slightly open. Somebody in a post here on Rennlist suggested that leaving a town in the latch to ensure nobody shuts it on you. If they happen to do that... I have no idea if you can power the car through the cigarette lighter to pop the hood.

Quick Reply: Battery maintainer?