Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Can an extended warranty be purshased by a second owner? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/798494-can-an-extended-warranty-be-purshased-by-a-second-owner.html)

tbrom 02-03-2014 01:35 AM

Can an extended warranty be purshased by a second owner?

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if I was buying a 2009 997.2 from an individual is it possible to purchase an extended warranty similar to that offered by a dealer on a CPO car? Can the original owner purchase it after the original warranty is gone?

Just can't be sure I won't buy a car from an individual if given the opportunity for a good Porsche Targa 4. I am surely thinking about the advantages of buying a CPO car.

Your helpful advice is greatly appreciated....

Tim

myw 02-03-2014 01:55 AM

if the car's original sale date is 7 years and under, AND most if not all of the servicing was done by the p-car dealer's it may be possible.

do you have all the service records? are they all from the dealer?

rankoutsider 02-03-2014 03:42 AM

Assuming the policy is consistent world-wide...

I am the third owner, the car has been serviced by Porsche always and its a mid-2009 build, so its a bit over 4.5 years old.

I bought an extended warranty and from the paperwork the second owner did too. I'll probably go another year or two as we iron out one or two bugs.

TIMBERHOLLOW9310 02-03-2014 09:37 AM

My 06 was purchased from an individual and I bought an extended warranty through my local Porsche dealer. All I had to do was show them the PPI (done in Ft Myers) and they wrote the policy. It is from Fidelity Warranty Services and will be honored at any P dealer in US. As I recall they offer several levels of coverage/deductibles/etc. but I have had zero issues so it is just peace of mind so far. Cost will be based on mileage and PPI results. Good luck.

tbrom 02-03-2014 11:57 AM

Thanks guys. Great info. Peace of mind is a big thing with these cars. This question is really hypothetical right now. I'm looking for a particular car and it hasn't been easy to find it but "all comes to he who waits". It will happen. I'm looking for a Targa 4 in white with either beige or natural brown interior or silver but I want certain options like sports chrono +, nav. and I really want 18" wheels and PDK. But I read a lot about the maintenance issues with these cars and I'd rather buy a car from an individual than a dealer, hence the questions about the extended warranty.

I really enjoy this site and there is surely a host of knowledge here and a camaraderie of the group that is great. Thanks again all.

Blu311 02-03-2014 12:14 PM

I'm probably not telling you anything you dont know, but here is a Targa 4S that hits your list on just about everything but sport chrono... (no affiliation)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

Good luck!

tbrom 02-03-2014 01:20 PM

Yep, I've known about this one for a while now and it has almost all I'm looking for except for sports chrono + and a few other options. The price is good but I am holding out for a different color interior. I don't want black and blue is ok but I'd rather have sand beige or natural brown or even the dark brown interior. I've had blue and it's nicer in a cabrio than in a coupe. Some folks like the white car and blue interior but I will say my experience is that not many like that combo. In discussions with dealers they say it is hard to sell the white on blue combo. This one has been around for a while and now it's on Ebay. That tells me something. However I would love to find the color combo and sports chrono for those dollars but something tells me it will most likely cost me more. You gotta say that the buy it now price for a targa 4S with the low miles this one has is surely attractive. My wife didn't like that blue interior - nuff said.

Thanks Blu311 I appreciate all the help I can get!

KeninBlaine 02-04-2014 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Given the small number of Targas sold, you may have to wait a long time before you'll find one optioned as specifically as you want. If I remember correctly, they represent less than 4% of 997's sold. I found a used one in 2008, but looked for quite a long time, and was lucky it came up when it did. Plus, living in California helped, since there are so many there. I lived in So Cal and bought it in Nor Cal. So I expect you'll either have to be VERY patient, or else accept a wider range of features. On the other hand, you're smart not to buy one that isn't what you (or your wife) really want.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "maintenance issues" on these cars. IMO, the Targas are no different than other models. i.e. pretty maintenance free. If you're referring to the squeaks in the sunroof, forget about it. They get blown a way out or proportion on these forums. A little cleaning of the rubber weatherstripping a few times a year keeps it quiet.

Good luck in your search. Targas are wonderful! Sometimes I miss mine, but love my current cab too. Here is a shot of mine when I had it. GT Silver with stone gray full leather interior.

tbrom 02-04-2014 05:25 PM

Hey Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking for a while now and I have learned to be very patient when looking for a Porsche. I am ok with some other colors but I am stuck on certain interior colors. Dark blue for instance or grey or black are not colors I will accept so I just pass them by. Exterior colors that I'd take are white and silver and maybe dark racing green metalic since that color comes with a beige interior usually. So I'm flexible to a point - I'd take sand beige, natural brown and maybe the dark natural brown as well. Many times the car dictates a change because of condition and history but I'm tired of settling. I've done that enough and I'm willing to wait.

The issues with the 997.2 are different than the earlier models with IMS/RMS issues but as I've been reading there are other issues like the water pump HPFP which I believe is a TB issue recall thing. PPIs are still necessary it seems unless you are dealing with a very low mileage car and someone with records.

You know I'm a firm believer in the right car comes at the right time. You can't force it so I'm just relaxed and going with the flow and everything will work out fine!

So you really liked yor targa so why did you sell it?

myw 02-04-2014 05:42 PM

wow ken, your targa was a beauty.

Originally Posted by keninirvine (Post 11104034)
Given the small number of Targas sold, you may have to wait a long time before you'll find one optioned as specifically as you want. If I remember correctly, they represent less than 4% of 997's sold. I found a used one in 2008, but looked for quite a long time, and was lucky it came up when it did. Plus, living in California helped, since there are so many there. I lived in So Cal and bought it in Nor Cal. So I expect you'll either have to be VERY patient, or else accept a wider range of features. On the other hand, you're smart not to buy one that isn't what you (or your wife) really want.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "maintenance issues" on these cars. IMO, the Targas are no different than other models. i.e. pretty maintenance free. If you're referring to the squeaks in the sunroof, forget about it. They get blown a way out or proportion on these forums. A little cleaning of the rubber weatherstripping a few times a year keeps it quiet.

Good luck in your search. Targas are wonderful! Sometimes I miss mine, but love my current cab too. Here is a shot of mine when I had it. GT Silver with stone gray full leather interior.

KeninBlaine 02-16-2014 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by tbrom (Post 11105696)
Hey Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking for a while now and I have learned to be very patient when looking for a Porsche. I am ok with some other colors but I am stuck on certain interior colors. Dark blue for instance or grey or black are not colors I will accept so I just pass them by. Exterior colors that I'd take are white and silver and maybe dark racing green metalic since that color comes with a beige interior usually. So I'm flexible to a point - I'd take sand beige, natural brown and maybe the dark natural brown as well. Many times the car dictates a change because of condition and history but I'm tired of settling. I've done that enough and I'm willing to wait.

The issues with the 997.2 are different than the earlier models with IMS/RMS issues but as I've been reading there are other issues like the water pump HPFP which I believe is a TB issue recall thing. PPIs are still necessary it seems unless you are dealing with a very low mileage car and someone with records.

You know I'm a firm believer in the right car comes at the right time. You can't force it so I'm just relaxed and going with the flow and everything will work out fine!

So you really liked yor targa so why did you sell it?

I sold it because, as much as I liked it, I really liked the C2S cabs when I lived in So Cal. Now that I'm in the Pacific Northwest the Targa would be better suited, but I still enjoy my cab despite the less ideal weather conditions. I expect my next Porsche may be a Macan if they turn out to be as good as they appear so far.