Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Well, I'm not sure a 911 is going to work out for me (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/796381-well-im-not-sure-a-911-is-going-to-work-out-for-me.html)

achildofthesky 01-21-2014 10:43 AM

Glad to hear it will work out after all. Good luck with the hunt for a 4x4.

Be safe
Patty

Chaos 01-21-2014 11:07 AM

A pic of said wife is direct evidence before RL jury can issue a fair verdict.

Fred R. C4S 01-21-2014 11:31 AM

I've been driving Porsches for 25 years. Peace at home is more important than any car. Take her along with you and find something that's fun to drive that she likes.

When mom's unhappy, EVERYONE'S unhappy!

You've got a lot of years ahead to drive a Porsche.

MessyMarvin 01-21-2014 11:42 AM

My wife was concerned about safety, you have to show her the safety numbers, these are actually very well built cars, do not confuse size with being safe. My kids drive in mine every so often, but I would not drive in the snow.

Hope it works out for you!!!!!

iammulva 01-21-2014 11:43 AM

Re: snow and ice - have her watch this

fskof 01-21-2014 11:46 AM

1. How many kids and what are the ages?
2. What exactly is she afraid of? I would much rather get into an accident with a well built German car than any Japanese or American car

But like others have said.... A happy wife = A happy life!

When I bought my Mini Cooper "S" I had a neighbor that gave me a hard time by saying that he would never sit in a death trap like that so I went online and found some pics of a head on accident between a Mini Cooper and a F150 (what he drives) and the the people in the mini walked away while the driver and passenger in the F150 had to go to the hospital. Americans believe that bigger is better but that is not always true!

Hella-Buggin' 01-21-2014 12:19 PM

Let her drive it for a week ;-)

WestCan997 01-21-2014 12:32 PM

My wife drives the 997 C4 cab as a daily driver 12 months of the year. Come winter time we put the hard top and Pirelli snow tires on and she is good to go. Never once had any thoughts about it not being safe.

The kids (7 and 9 yr old) love the car and it's their first choice of vehicles to ride in.

Domer911 01-21-2014 01:03 PM

I think you should get rid of it.

If you make the mistake of proposing to somebody again, make sure they don't have a problem with your 911.

SFZ GT3 01-21-2014 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chaos (Post 11068562)
A pic of said wife is direct evidence before RL jury can issue a fair verdict.

What he said! Seriously, a nice "heart to heart" with her could expose her concerns and allow a response and some offsetting evidence. Bottom line is that you are willing to part with it, no questions asked. But at least you are informed for the next decision. Good luck.:bowdown:

dasams 01-21-2014 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by chatt (Post 11068345)
but I can address them by buying an old Tahoe or z71 extended cab.

Pick up a Cayenne :rockon:

tgavem 01-21-2014 01:43 PM

All of you need to ready the 2nd half of this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...92-buying.html

Time to grow a pair......:atwhore:

tgavem 01-21-2014 01:50 PM

As others have said. Bigger is not safer but in a collision, mass can be an advantage.
That being said, a Z71 or Tahoe and equivalent - are body on frame vehichles and do not have to comply with the stringent nhtsa rules for crumple zones and airbags as cars do. They are heavier so stopping distance is increased and have higher center of gravity is a concern for roll overs. Therefore, these vehicles are not safe vehicles.
IF safety is your concern, go to www.iihs.org to select your safest vehichle.

goofballdeluxe 01-21-2014 02:00 PM

If I ever had to justify my purchases to any woman, wife or otherwise, I'd just sell everything and buy a car with no balls, just like I would have.

MuffinMan 01-21-2014 02:20 PM

It sounds like much of her concern is centered around the fitment of the actual car seat. What kind of seat is in there and how is it secured? I spent hours researching fitment and then spent another few hours making the seat fit well. I went with a diono radian, removed the seat bottom cushion and replaced it with medium density foam, changed the seat belt mounting bolts for a version with an eye bolt (like those used for racing harnesses), removed the seat back, utilized a LATCH belt connected to the factory anchor points (the eye bolt mentioned above), and connected the rear anchor. The Britax roundabout classic 50 supposedly fits well, also. Perhaps spending more time on the car seat fitment would put her mind at ease?