Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Overheated" in service writeup a concern?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:01 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

well said! i wish you had somehow recorded that guys reaction lol

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
sandwedge-

You are missing the point...997 Toronto and Quad and others are saying "don't worry about it" and I agree.

Some buyers are insane to the point that I've actually told a guy interested in my car that its not right for him. He seemed stunned. He was being **** about prior service records (my RMS was replaced early on in the cars life) and to the point that it was becoming rude.

People forget that:

1. Cars face all multitudes of weather
2. Cars break
3. Cars get into accidents
4. Not all owners treat their cars the same

I get the feeling that buyers tend to forget these facts. As long as you have great service records and take care of your car then you'll find the right buyer and perhaps be fortunate enough to tell others to get bent.

And as with what Tommy has said simply ask the dealer to correct the service invoice if it bothers you but honestly it shouldn't or won't affect your potential re-sale.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

If a buyer ever said to me that they were concerned that my car may have overheated at some point in its life I'd thank them for their time and tell them to buy another car. A buyer like that will be up your *** about every little thing he finds wrong with the car for the next 2 years. not worth it.

As for biggest bully, thanks!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:11 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If a buyer ever said to me that they were concerned that my car may have overheated at some point in its life I'd thank them for their time and tell them to buy another car. A buyer like that will be up your *** about every little thing he finds wrong with the car for the next 2 years. not worth it.

As for biggest bully, thanks!
Sorry mate. You're probably at best the second biggest bully in NJ at the moment. Leaves you something to shoot for though.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck, I remain in touch with the enthusiast i bought my 997.1 from. He knows the car well & has advised the noob (me) a LOT. I think we've become friends. Difference is I guess I realize i bought a car" AS IS' when it comes down to it.
that's what records & PPI's are for! It's like... My wife had a fever before I met her, it's in HER history but she recovered & I married her anyway... just a fever.
Now that first wife needed a PPI (too many overrevs lets say)
Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
sandwedge,

As far as I know Porsche dealers are not connected as far as service history goes so any details about your car should be local to that dealer.

My question is how would a technician know if your car over heated? Over heating and getting hot are different. Did the tech just relay what you told him that the temps increased prior to shutting down? If so then I don't think there is any basis for those notes; if your car overheated then there needs to be evidence of overheating damage.
I left a note on the PCM screen describing what had happened including the rise in oil and coolant temp. Sent an email to the service advisor with the same observations. He or whoever entered it into their system turned what was only a slight increase in those temperatures into an overheat event. Whatever that is since I don't know who decides what's simply an increase in temperature and an overheat situation. Either way, the word "overheat" clearly doesn't sit well with some going by the reaction of my potential buyer and some who have replied here.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by swordsmn
It's like... My wife had a fever before I met her, it's in HER history but she recovered & I married her anyway... just a fever.
Now that first wife needed a PPI (too many overrevs lets say)
Solid Gold! Love it...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:16 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I left a note on the PCM screen describing what had happened including the rise in oil and coolant temp. Sent an email to the service advisor with the same observations. He or whoever entered it into their system turned what was only a slight increase in those temperatures into an overheat event. Whatever that is since I don't know who decides what's simply an increase in temperature and an overheat situation. Either way, the word "overheat" clearly doesn't sit well with some going by the reaction of my potential buyer and some who have replied here.
But what if the Porsche technician believes that it did "overheat" per Porsche guidelines? You should speak with the service manager to get it sorted but don't sweat buyers...there will be another.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
sandwedge-

You are missing the point...997 Toronto and Quad and others are saying "don't worry about it" and I agree.

Some buyers are insane to the point that I've actually told a guy interested in my car that its not right for him. He seemed stunned. He was being **** about prior service records (my RMS was replaced early on in the cars life) and to the point that it was becoming rude.

People forget that:

1. Cars face all multitudes of weather
2. Cars break
3. Cars get into accidents
4. Not all owners treat their cars the same

I get the feeling that buyers tend to forget these facts. As long as you have great service records and take care of your car then you'll find the right buyer and perhaps be fortunate enough to tell others to get bent.

And as with what Tommy has said simply ask the dealer to correct the service invoice if it bothers you but honestly it shouldn't or won't affect your potential re-sale.
Already asked the dealer to fix the service invoice and was told that once it's closed out it can't be done. As for not affecting resale, sorry but it already has.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Would anyone here have second thoughts about buying a 997 with a history of "overheating" due to a failed water pump?
Yes, if I were shopping, I would view that as a potential problem. A true over-heating event can cause damage. Why should I buy your problems?

Having said that, I would still listen to your story and gauge your honesty. Tell the buyer that the service writer called it an over-heat but in fact you spotted the failure promptly and shut it down before the engine over heated. It is what it is and buyers can accept it or run away.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

With most dealer service software like ADP, once a repair order is closed it cannot be changed. Lives on in the history and in paper form only.
If you are hoping to sell it now, then it may be an issue to a potential buyer. Otherwise, just enjoy the car and have the trouble free miles since this event become all the proof you need.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what are your actual damages? One guy passed on your car because of the receipt? Maybe he couldn't afford it in the first place and just used that as the excuse to back out.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkw911
sandwedge,

As far as I know Porsche dealers are not connected as far as service history goes so any details about your car should be local to that dealer.
This is true. I was surprised that the local dealer could not pull up a service history by VID. He said he was willing to call the previous dealer, since I knew where it came from, but that dealers do not share service history.

I know that $50-60K is not a lot to some people on here, but I wouldn't think twice about buying a car that showed it had been overheated... there are plenty of others to choose from and I would just keep shopping.

I find it hard to believe that they can't make corrections to what was entered, at the very least I would hope they could add an addendum to it stating their mistake.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

"Overheated" in service writeup a concern?" YES!

My wife's 1st car out of college overheated. The coolant hose burst, engine became a reactor, block cracked, engine seized/cratered... worst yet numerous surrounding components such as the starter and alternator would fail intermittently after we went through the trouble and expense of engine replacement. We dumped/traded it in shortly afterwards. So when I see this type of service record my natural reaction is to avoid it especially as there are so many other p-cars without stories out there. The problem is that an "overheated car" has a variety of meanings with associated mechanically consequences and financially impact. Why take a $50K roll of the dice when you don't need to...

Re service records... yes, p-dealer service records are not linked but consider the last time you sought out a $50K-60K used p-car. Didn't you want to review every service record to minimize your risk and wouldn't you prefer a car with all it's service records... or perhaps offer the minimum $$ for a "risky" car without records. Without such records I would tend to move on. But the real issue here is that the car did not overheat. And that the p-dealer has burdened you with their documentation SNAFU. They need to correct their error or at least define what they mean by "overheated". OK, they can't change an existing record but would it be possible to perhaps: issue a new zero dollar invoice indicating that the car in fact did not overheat, no engine damage, and no damage to any surrounding components after further investigation by a p-tech. If this is their error then they need to correct it... even a letter from the GM or service manager would help to explain/define the true nature of the documented issue to a potential buyer. If nothing is documented to the contrary then the buyer would have to assume the worst before giving you the benefit of the doubt. What would you do if you came across such a car? Of course, if you just intend to dump the car at CarMax then no worries... all this is only of concern if you want top $$ for your car down the road.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Redline911
So what are your actual damages? One guy passed on your car because of the receipt? Maybe he couldn't afford it in the first place and just used that as the excuse to back out.
Read the rest of the thread and you'll see soon enough that my one guy isn't the only one who has a problem with this. Except for some of the heroes on the first page trying to outdo each other with bravery and carefreeness, there's good consensus that this is not favorable and should be reversed in some fashion. Pretty simple really. Any "stories" on these cars tend to be damaging so why should a perfectly good car be branded with a story that never happened?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Many thanks to all who responded constructively. Very much appreciate it. I have what I need and will talk to the dealer Monday. If all else fails I have the email I sent to the service advisor describing the events leading up to shutting down the car which stands in contrast to how he described it in his own words.

Quick Reply: "Overheated" in service writeup a concern?