Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Windshield washer fluid leak (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/793483-windshield-washer-fluid-leak.html)

Luckymba 01-02-2014 01:24 PM

Windshield washer fluid leak

Had the CEL come on about washer fluid. Added 1/2 gallon to the tank and the next morning there was almost 1/2 gallon on my garage floor. Noticed it dripping from under the car between the back of the drivers side wheel well and the front of the driver side door. The CEL is not back on so there is still enough in there to keep the CEL off. My assumption is there is crack in the reservoir. How difficult is it to replace? I honestly have never used my windshield wiper fluid in the 18 mos I've owned the car and would rather not replace it if it is a pain/expensive. Is there a way to disable the CEL if I chose to ignore the problem?

997_Toronto 01-02-2014 01:46 PM

Are you a fair weather driver or do you drive your car enough to maybe get stuck in a rain storm with mucky backsplash from other cars that might require washer fluid? That would answer your question in terms of effort towards replacement.

In addition, if recent activity was performed on the car, it's possible one of the many hoses could have come undone.

Luckymba 01-02-2014 04:13 PM

It's a weekend driver. I occasionally get stuck in the FL downpour but have never used the washer fluid. I know the tank is behind the wheel well, just don't know how to access it to get in there if it needs to be replaced. I have the AST Workshop Manual but they are referring me to a section on tank replacement that isn't in the manual. Is it a big deal to fix and replace. I read you can peal the wheel well back a bit and stick your hand in to try and attach the hose if the hose has slipped off the tank. Anybody familiar with this issue and the possible fix? Thanks.

Cloudspin 01-02-2014 04:23 PM

I have the same problem. Mine leaks from the same place. It is a problem during love bug season. What year is yours?
Thank you.

997_Toronto 01-02-2014 05:01 PM

You can remove the plastic cowling in the trunk to inspect the hoses.

But the tank lives behind the drivers wheel. You have to remove the wheel liner (and wheel first). I think it is held in place with a nut and then two compression fittings, to remove it you just "pull the tank towards you". Be careful, if there is fluid in there and it is tipped the fluid will come out, the pour spout opening on the side will not be covered.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7WTANK.html

Luckymba 01-02-2014 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cloudspin (Post 11020117)
I have the same problem. Mine leaks from the same place. It is a problem during love bug season. What year is yours?
Thank you.

Mines a 2005. Gotta love the love bugs

Luckymba 01-02-2014 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto (Post 11020218)
You can remove the plastic cowling in the trunk to inspect the hoses.

But the tank lives behind the drivers wheel. You have to remove the wheel liner (and wheel first). I think it is held in place with a nut and then two compression fittings, to remove it you just "pull the tank towards you". Be careful, if there is fluid in there and it is tipped the fluid will come out, the pour spout opening on the side will not be covered.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7WTANK.html

So if it is a hose issue I can access it from the trunk by removing the cowling and reconnect if necessary. I'll give that a shot first. Thanks.

997_Toronto 01-02-2014 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Luckymba (Post 11020244)
So if it is a hose issue I can access it from the trunk by removing the cowling and reconnect if necessary. I'll give that a shot first. Thanks.

Yes but if your have headlight washers installed then the hose configuration is more complicated and all connection points may not be visible from the top.

Over time, if the windshield washer is not used and has been leaking then it will crust over where there might be a leak, that might be a quick visual indicator from the top.

Worst case scenario, let the fluid drain out via the leak, use the sprayer to empty the rest and leave it until there's a reason to take the driver-side wheel off and check it the assembly at that point.

Luckymba 01-02-2014 05:43 PM

Sounds like a plan. Is there a way to disable the CEL if I go that route? I couldn't check my engine oil level the other day because the CEL was in the way.

997_Toronto 01-02-2014 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Luckymba (Post 11020314)
Sounds like a plan. Is there a way to disable the CEL if I go that route? I couldn't check my engine oil level the other day because the CEL was in the way.

Not sure if you can do that without using a Durametric tool or getting the dealership to do that for you.

An option to consider, but will require input from others on here as I don't know about potential issues, you could fill the reservoir with water (provided you're not in a location that sees freezing temperatures) which should prevent address the CEL issue and won't create as big a mess as the windshield washer fluid does.

Pors968 03-29-2014 02:35 PM

Mine leaks/drips in front of driver side front wheel, below left head light area. Where should I look? Is those tubes/washer nozzle accessible thru fog light hole? If so I can remove fog light and check.. Any DIY procedures? Any tips will be helpful.

TIA.

Hatzenbach 04-12-2014 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pors968 (Post 11252897)
Mine leaks/drips in front of driver side front wheel, below left head light area. Where should I look? Is those tubes/washer nozzle accessible thru fog light hole? If so I can remove fog light and check.. Any DIY procedures? Any tips will be helpful.

TIA.

If you have headlight washers then I would bet that that's the problem
Remove the driver's side headlight and you should see a black hose for the headlight washer. Right behind the headlight there are two parts of the hose which are connected via a quick connector.
I would guess that it got disconnected and now it's leaking washer fluid

Here's a nice picture: http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album430/IMG_1981

Dadio 04-12-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Luckymba (Post 11020314)

If you push the computer stalk to remove the CEL from the screen. It has to be done within a few seconds to insure the oil level indicator will still be there.
At the beginning of the oil level check you can see the level indicator counting down and then the CEL shows up.. As soon as is does, push the computer stalk in and let go. The oil level indicator will return to the screen.

westgate997 04-12-2014 09:06 PM

This exact same thing happened to me. Parked my car and immediately noticed a growing pool under the driver side front corner of car. thought I popped a radiator on a branch or something but realized it was washer fluid. Have to find the hose that has slipped off. Will try headlight.

Pors968 04-18-2014 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach (Post 11288576)
If you have headlight washers then I would bet that that's the problem
Remove the driver's side headlight and you should see a black hose for the headlight washer. Right behind the headlight there are two parts of the hose which are connected via a quick connector.
I would guess that it got disconnected and now it's leaking washer fluid

Here's a nice picture: http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album430/IMG_1981

Yes. Leak is from headlight washer nozzle itself. I could visually see thru the fog light hole.. Removing fog light is very easy.. I have ordered new nozzle from online Porsche dealer.. Now the challenge is replacing it with out removing bumper.. Did not see a DIY for replacing headlight washer nozzle.

Thanks,