997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washer fluid leak

Old 07-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Mr_Skull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to this forum I was able to remove my reservoir and troubleshoot my leak. My puddle was behind the front wheel.

Remove wheel, then fender lining (3 x 10mm plastic nuts & 4 x T25 screws), remove fill "neck" from inside frunk once you've remove the plastic trim surrounding it. There's electric connections for each motor installed and one for the "low fluid" sensor. There's some type of sensor box below the reservoir that was held in with two plastic 10mm nuts I removed for extra wiggle room but didn't unplug. There's one 13mm bolt holding the reservoir in at the top, it's slightly hidden but is straight up & down.
There's two motors if you have headlight washers. The smaller one is mounted towards the inside of the car (997 628 182 00) and drives the regular sprayers below the windshields. The slightly larger motor on the outside (closer to the fender) drives the headlight washers (997 624 502 00) and is connected to larger tubing. I originally expected a bad grommet or hose but was able to prove it was leaking from the smaller inside motor itself. I ordered a replacement motor and grommet from Pelican Parts. Smaller inside motor's grommet is part # 431 955 465. Larger outside motors grommet is 928 628 193. Part number for reservoir itself is 997 528 701.

Last edited by Mr_Skull; 07-31-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-31-2016, 02:42 PM
Mr_Skull
Intermediate

Old 08-01-2016, 03:01 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue with leaking around the back side of the wheel well, under the tank. I had been putting water in it to clear the dash warning a cup or two a couple of times a week. And suddenly it stopped leaking. I rarely use the washers so I haven't done anything about it. Putting it on the list for the dealer to look at during next service.

I could probably pull it all apart and fix it myself, but just don't have the time for that lately.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:05 AM
JPA1
Intermediate

I had the pump # 8 that was stuck; once you reach for it, it is very easy to actually take it apart, clean it with WD40 (generally to dissolve some mineral deposits that make block the pump, lubricate electric rotor) and put it back all together. Then refill tank with washing fluid and wait a little bit to observe any leak. The gasket is very fragile so be careful here. This screw # 7 that holds the water tank to the car body somehow is devilishly hard to screw back, I ended up using another screw! 2 months ongoing, still works ok. Overall it took me 2 hours . I also heard that you should not fill it up with Rainix, it somehow damages water circuit with Gunk...
Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

I had the same problem with the pump last year. Here is the DIY I wrote to document the steps. Hope it helps. Note-this is for a 2009 997.2 with headlight washers

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by wwilliams88:
California9972 (08-23-2022), PajamaShark (05-18-2023)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:13 AM
ru'
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
...Here is the DIY I wrote to document the steps...
Nice one!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Mr_Skull
Intermediate

I had the same problem with the pump last year. Here is the DIY I wrote to document the steps. Hope it helps. Note-this is for a 2009 997.2 with headlight washers

That's awesome! If you google 997 Wiper reservoir leak (or some variant of that) this is one of the first threads that pop up so I bet your guide will be helping out us DIYers for years to come
Old 08-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Abid
1st Gear

Default Fixed leak in my 997

So I had the same issue with my 997. The approach to the tank and the washer fluid motor is bit tricky and hard (under the wheel well of Driver side wheel) after you take the wheel off and take off the inner lining, have a good working light.

You may have to work with just feeling the pump and tubing, since you may not be ale to see it. The pump pops out easily from the insertion point. The grommet pops out easily. I changed the Grommet first & thought that this will fix the leak... but after the new one, it still leaked.

I then tested the motor and under pressure, I found that MOTOR was leaking. So installed a new motor and Windshield Washer Pump Grommet together. This took care of the issue and no leak any more.

SO I will recommend, that if you you have a leak, I would suggest to change the Windshield Washer Pump Grommet and motor pump together (since both are available cheap aftermarket versions).

Thank you
Old 09-23-2016, 06:42 PM
stone911
AutoX

Default leaking issue

Originally Posted by stevepow
I had the same issue with leaking around the back side of the wheel well, under the tank. I had been putting water in it to clear the dash warning a cup or two a couple of times a week. And suddenly it stopped leaking. I rarely use the washers so I haven't done anything about it. Putting it on the list for the dealer to look at during next service.

I could probably pull it all apart and fix it myself, but just don't have the time for that lately.
Hi Steve, I have the exact same leaking issue and the warning light has been up for a while, after I read your post, I added 3-4 cups water but no more leaks. Can you tell what did your dealer told you the reason? I am very surprise it is self-healing... or just temporary.. Appreciate your help. Thanks !

-Derek
2009 4S Cab
Old 08-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this - very nicely done. Mine just started leaking, and now I know what's ahead of me. Love this forum!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I suggest just using the windshield washer a few times. Mine stopped leaking when I did that... I have never used it before.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:07 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Another 997 WW leak.

Thanks to WWilliams88 excellent how to, I was able to quickily isolate the leak source, and come up with a sufficiently hillbilly fix.

Windshield washer pump was dumping entire contents of tank onto the garage floor, I used a test bucket and blew into the pump to confirm leaking shaft seal.

Used epoxy to seal the tell tale vent. Short term attention to symptom while waiting for a replacement unit.
QUOTE=wwilliams88;13498455]I had the same problem with the pump last year. Here is the DIY I wrote to document the steps. Hope it helps. Note-this is for a 2009 997.2 with headlight washers

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Mr_Skull
Intermediate

Just a heads up. Before you pay through the nose from Porsche for this pump it’s a generic Siemens / VDO units that’s used on everything from a Hyundai, BMW, GM, Porsche, etc. You can get it for under $20 for the OEM brand unit online.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:48 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks Mr Skull,
yes, I'm well onto the magic of searching for "alternative" components.

Its part of the fun!

Cheers,
C
Old 01-20-2019, 08:25 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckymba
Had the CEL come on about washer fluid. Added 1/2 gallon to the tank and the next morning there was almost 1/2 gallon on my garage floor. Noticed it dripping from under the car between the back of the drivers side wheel well and the front of the driver side door. The CEL is not back on so there is still enough in there to keep the CEL off. My assumption is there is crack in the reservoir. How difficult is it to replace? I honestly have never used my windshield wiper fluid in the 18 mos I've owned the car and would rather not replace it if it is a pain/expensive. Is there a way to disable the CEL if I chose to ignore the problem?

I fixed mine when I first got my 997.2. It was leaking bad and made a big puddle right at the driver's wheel well. The reservoir rarely leaks because it it not under pressure. It took me 2 attempts to fix it. At first I thought the leak was at the rubber bushing where the pump attaches to the reservoir. I replaced the rubber bushing and it still leaked. I finally traced it to a crack on the windshield pump. The other headlight pump was ok.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield washer fluid leak