Sponsored by:

Adding a turbo to a 997 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:14 AM
FoggyNeutron
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding a turbo to a 997 ?

Hey there , I was looking for some advice on increasing hp to my base 05 c2 .I was thinking of adding a turbo ? I have already added a exhaust bypass , chip , IPD intake plenum and a GT3 throttle body . BUT it still is not fast enough . Suggestions would be greatly appreciated . thx
Old 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I think the cost involved making a NA Porsche turbocharged would prove to be not worth it. As a matter of fact,I believe it would be cheaper to just buy a Turbo car.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I think the cost involved making a NA Porsche turbocharged would prove to be not worth it. As a matter of fact,I believe it would be cheaper to just buy a Turbo car.
+1 plus its always harder to sell a modded car. If you do install a "Turbo" to your 05 c2 it still would not be as quick as a 997 911 Turbo.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:45 AM
FoggyNeutron
Intermediate

Thx , guess I will just have to save up for the real thing . Being a new Porsche owner I was told the maintenance costs were high but I will have to settle on this for a while .I have owned it for two years and you still can't punch the smile off my face every time I get into it . Come on spring time
Old 12-27-2013, 11:54 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you upgraded the IMS?

forgot the TT. Why bother? Save up for a GT2.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:05 PM
FoggyNeutron
Intermediate

Yes I did replace it just a couple months after I bought it , go figure . It cost around 1300 if I remember correctly ?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I've always wondered about how wise it is to turn a normally aspirated engine into a turbo - because mechanical aspects of a car don't happen in a vacuum, or independent of other things. That is, you turbocharge your car and you obviously up the HP/torque. But now your 3.6L engine (using a 2005 C2 as an example) drive train is handling stresses that it was not designed for and this can't be a good thing for a car that is already eight or nine years old. But say everything with your engine is fine, and stays fine. Your car is now able to go a lot faster - but it's brakes and suspension were not built to handle this speed. I suspect you could modify many of the attendant components that go along with maximizing the effects of turbo power, but it would not be cheap - at the end of the day, you'd probably have been able to get an actual used turbo for what you end up paying to turn a C2 into one.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Agree with the rest.
Cheaper just to sell your C2 & buy turbo.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:30 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FoggyNeutron
Yes I did replace it just a couple months after I bought it , go figure . It cost around 1300 if I remember correctly ?
Welcome to Rennlist, Mr. Neutron!

You mentioned in the IMS failure poll that your IMS failed (which usually means engine-go-BOOM), but mention here that you replaced the IMS, costing ~$1300. Were you able to somehow save the engine? Tell us the story!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:50 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe failure was eminent (leaking ect)? I am interested as well.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:18 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I've always wondered about how wise it is to turn a normally aspirated engine into a turbo - because mechanical aspects of a car don't happen in a vacuum, or independent of other things. That is, you turbocharge your car and you obviously up the HP/torque. But now your 3.6L engine (using a 2005 C2 as an example) drive train is handling stresses that it was not designed for and this can't be a good thing for a car that is already eight or nine years old. But say everything with your engine is fine, and stays fine. Your car is now able to go a lot faster - but it's brakes and suspension were not built to handle this speed. I suspect you could modify many of the attendant components that go along with maximizing the effects of turbo power, but it would not be cheap - at the end of the day, you'd probably have been able to get an actual used turbo for what you end up paying to turn a C2 into one.
I supercharged my prior M3... it's a slippery slop mod wise. To add significant HP properly we upgraded the brake system, suspension, cams, wheels, etc. Although I kept the car for 10 yrs... in the end I sold it for half of what I put into her. Of course, the father/son time spent teaching my boys and learning myself as we DIY'd all those projects was priceless. A few things which ultimately turned me off was the maintenance aspect of supporting such a highly modified car... every time a modified subsystem failed I had to source the replacement parts from the after market distributor... not as easy nor were the parts as available as running to the local dealer. And when I replaced the water pump and later the alternator I had to remove the supercharger to gain access to those subsystems. Even changing/servicing the air filter was a real PITA... required removal of the front bumper. Not sure how easy or difficult it is to access and maintain the Porsche oriented factory and 3rd party turbo systems... but I suspect that it's more involved and expensive than the NA p-cars as the engine compartment on our rear engine car is just that much tighter than it was on my prior M3. Of course, if you're an avid DIYer then this would only present a challenge to overcome... hehe. I constantly toy with how to gain HP/torque on my C2S... and so far I'm pleased with the NA oriented mods I've executed to my car but there's always another one on the horizon. With these p-cars, however, my next mod would likely be an upgrade to a GT3 vs. adding a turbo or SC to my NA C2S. I like the concept of adding HP, a higher reving engine, 2WD, and improved suspension... GL and let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 12-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:25 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Agree with the rest.
Cheaper just to sell your C2 & buy turbo.
Yep.

997 turbos can be had in the low to mid sixties with a little more mileage on them (40-50K). Better to go the route of the proven Mezger engine if you want a turbo.. I was amazed at the difference between my old 997.1 C2S and the 997.1 turbo..the torque down low is a huge difference..

And if you are into it, the turbo is much easier to mod to get more power out of.. (note I said easier, not cheaper )
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

The Mezger engine or also known as the GT1 engine is one of the best engines Porsche has built. It's found in the Turbo, GT3 and GT2
Old 12-27-2013, 05:20 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mezger baby
Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 PM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a NA C2S because it fit in my budget at the time. When I can justify spending the extra 20k I will sell my C2S and buy a Turbo.

I think turning an already perfect car into a science project for a few hp is wrong. If you want to bolt a turbo on a Honda Cervix, I say all the power to you but it is blasphemous to be meddling with a Porsche.

Quick Reply: Adding a turbo to a 997 ?