Sponsored by:

05 997 C2 opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
gabster
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 05 997 C2 opinion

How are you guys doing, im new here and new to Porsche all together. i have been eyeing to get in one, first looked into Caymans, but also i have seen some 911's used. there is one for example 2005 997 C2 with 75k miles 6 speed, no accidents, looks clean, no leaks. asking price is $27k seems to be an early buid Production month of 11/2004
is that a fair price? what should i look at? autocheck only shows a use & even check information reported but doesnt specified what it was. car shows to have two owners.

thank you guys for your input.

Gabs
Old 12-06-2013, 01:40 PM
karlas
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seems a bit low

I haven't seen any 2005 997s for under $30k (in the Northeast)... the seller either wants a really quick sale, or something is wrong with it.

I would guess that car should be listed around $35k, and then sell for low $30s.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:47 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

seems low. agree with karlas

btw. good luck on your search. I started looking for boxsters, then switched to caymans, and ended with the 911.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:57 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen 2005s with high mileage for less than 30k, but not often. A few of them had interiors that looked like they had been abused and not cared for, so I think a lot comes down to the condition of the vehicle.

As mentioned above, I would expect it to be the low 30s, but if it all checks out their loss maybe your gain.

2005 puts you in potential IMS failure territory, but I would not let that put you off, it is just something to be aware of.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
gabster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PhilD
I have seen 2005s with high mileage for less than 30k, but not often. A few of them had interiors that looked like they had been abused and not cared for, so I think a lot comes down to the condition of the vehicle. As mentioned above, I would expect it to be the low 30s, but if it all checks out their loss maybe your gain. 2005 puts you in potential IMS failure territory, but I would not let that put you off, it is just something to be aware of.
thanks to everybody for the feedback, good info.

I have heard the horror stories about IMS failure, that's why I keep going back and forth between older 911's or newer 09+ caymans... I have gone through the IMS threads on both older boxters/caymans and 911's. every time I think about it I change my mind...
I definitely can't afford a 08+ 911. so I keep going back to the drawing board :-/
Old 12-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

An 09 Cayman S is a very good car. You get about the same amount of storage in it as the 911. My plus vote for the 911 over the Cayman is the 911 seats can recline more, the rear seat area makes for convenient storage and I like the look of the 911. That is not to say the Cayman is not a nice looking car.

With the 05 911 you can replace the IMS bearing without a tear down. I think a lot of people will do an update at the same time as a clutch. On the newer 997.1 series you'd have to remove the engine. There is also the possibility of adding a new pressure feed to the bearing.

It does make a tough choice. If you like security the 09 Cayman S may be the way to go. I had one and had a lot of fun with it. It makes a fantastic track car.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
gabster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan C.
An 09 Cayman S is a very good car. You get about the same amount of storage in it as the 911. My plus vote for the 911 over the Cayman is the 911 seats can recline more, the rear seat area makes for convenient storage and I like the look of the 911. That is not to say the Cayman is not a nice looking car.

With the 05 911 you can replace the IMS bearing without a tear down. I think a lot of people will do an update at the same time as a clutch. On the newer 997.1 series you'd have to remove the engine. There is also the possibility of adding a new pressure feed to the bearing.

It does make a tough choice. If you like security the 09 Cayman S may be the way to go. I had one and had a lot of fun with it. It makes a fantastic track car.

Good luck with your search.
thanks Alan, those are very good observations, that's definitely something to think about. how do maintenance cost compare among Cayman's and 911's? are they fairly the same?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

From my experience they are pretty much the same. There will be a few differences due to engine orientation.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:29 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately test drive an 09 Cayman to see if you fit in it comfortably. It is a very competent car especially with the newer DFI 9A1 engine.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:44 PM
gabster
Intermediate

thanks again Alan,

yes I have test driven a few Caymans already I fit perfectly fine. used to own a S2000, cabin space wise I say they are similar.
haven't test driven a 911 yet just an 89 a while back lol
Old 12-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought an 05 911 last year for about $35K and have been happy with it. Mine had 60K miles when I bought it. A couple of comments about an 05 that might be of interest:

If you don't know the repair history of the car, here is a list of repairs/preventative maintenance you might want to consider:
1) IMS & Clutch. Mainly fix the IMS, but as long as you're there, might as well check out the clutch.
2) Plugs & Coils. I think Porsche calls for them to be replaced at 45K miles...but if you don't know if it was done, consider it.
3) Water Pump. They tend to start to die around 60K miles. Many people put in a lower thermostat at this time as well.
4) Coolant reservoir. Plastic gets brittle and cracks. If it looks a little yellow, it might be time to yank it.
5) AOS. The air-oil separator are known to go bad.
6) Oil change
7) Replace air and cabin filters.
8) Brakes & Rotors.

The cost for the parts I listed above, just off the top of my head (so I might be off little) is $800 for clutch, $800 for IMS, $300 for water pump, $150 for reservoir, $100 for plugs, $200 for coils, maybe $100 total for air & cabin filter, something like $150 for the AOS. That is the cost of the parts and does not factor in the cost of a shop to do any labor.

I've managed to do most of the labor myself using posts on this list. That has save me a substantial amount of money. I haven't attempted the clutch/IMS (yet), nor the AOS. So, I'd say you might factor in your desire to do work yourself, how much you're willing to spend on maintenance costs in the near future and then factor that in.

I can't comment on if you'd be able to escape with lower maintenance costs on the Cayman S. I'm not very familiar with them. I have a feeling that all the Porsches need care here and there.

Also, the 997.1 has air conditioning buttons whose paint tends to wear off leaving ugly white blotches showing. Some of the interior parts, like the console, are painted (at least on the sand beige cars) and are easy to knick with a key or with the seat belt. In a number of places, the underlying plastic is black...so those knicks really show up. So you might pay attention to the console, the key surround, and other contact places in the interior if you look at the car.

All the above said, I do like my car and don't regret getting it. I'd certainly buy another 05 again...especially if one popped up for less than 30K nearby. I'd at least go take a look.

Best of luck on your seach.

Quick Reply: 05 997 C2 opinion