Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your spouse/significant other drive your p-car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:34 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

No......She's an OK driver, but lacks the interest/desire to pilot our P cars. She can drive stick and is an avid PCA member, but no real desire (thank you, "Porsche protector") to take the wheel.

Good solution over many years!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:42 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Yup and she looks hot doing so!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by nzskater
I all but forced my girlfriend to drive mine the second day I had it. Since then she has only driven a couple of times. I'd be happy for her to drive it more often, but she doesn't seem that interested and like others is worried about damaging it accidentally.
Originally Posted by Dukec4s
Since new in 2007, my wife has driven it twice...she's a great driver but says
she is afraid of other drivers, parking, etc. ; ^ )
Old 11-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
MY wife can't drive a stick so that's that………she doesn't even like to ride in it so if she could drive it I know she wouldn't! She's not the best driver I've ever seen either so all is good!

Tom
My wife is just like yours. She can't drive a stick nor wants to and doesn't like riding in the 911. She complains it's hard to get in/out and says it rides too stiffly for her. We usually take her Audi (which she absolutely loves) when out with the family. So even if I got a PDK car some day, she said she wouldn't drive it.

My college aged son knows how to drive a stick, but has never driven my car. (He's too afraid to face my wrath should anything happen.)

Hence I'm the only one.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

My wife and I both race our p-car for autocross, but she doesn't like to track it. She definitely knows not only how to drive it, but how it handles at the limit, and where that limit is, so I'm not worried about her hot-******* it into a ditch. (Well, at least no more than I'm worried about doing it myself, lol.) It's my daily driver, but she'll take it for a spin whenever she has a good excuse. She won't take it all the time, though; I think she's just a lot more comfortable in her own car.

Protip: Get your wives involved, and they'll be begging YOU for performance mods!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:58 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife does not drive mine, she has not interest in doing so and is afraid she might do something to it. She does not drive my Shelby either, she did once because I was drinking and said she preferred not too again. Works for me.....

She drives my truck once in a while, but most of her time is in the Mini-Van and she actually loves it that way.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:17 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No and neither will she ride any of my motorcycles either...want one? Get your own :P

Pls don't tell her I said that
Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Yup and she looks hot doing so!
Best answer in this thread
Old 11-30-2013, 07:49 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

My wife's welcome to drive it but prefers not to. It's too low, loud, bumpy, "annoying", I could go on and on. She can drive a manual in her sleep so no issues there either.

Oh well, it's better this way I guess.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:17 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Yes, why not unless she is blind and has no arms! Today, the 997 are just used cars, nicer than your neighbors Taurus but still used cars.
Do I park it at the far end of the parking lot, no - up close next to the minivans. Do I valet, yes, even if I can't see where they park it. Do I take it to the hand car wash, absolutely.
Do I enjoy hitting the rev limiter in second and third - the highlight of the day!!

Why worry and be protective of something that depreciate $5-10k /year?.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Negative ghost rider. Another reason why manual transmissions should stay in these cars.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:08 AM
mdr2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
Negative ghost rider. Another reason why manual transmissions should stay in these cars.
+1 - the Mrs. cannot drive a manual and has shown no interest in learning.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Never, ever, ever, let a girl drive your Jet Car

Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Yes, why not unless she is blind and has no arms! Today, the 997 are just used cars, nicer than your neighbors Taurus but still used cars.
Do I park it at the far end of the parking lot, no - up close next to the minivans. Do I valet, yes, even if I can't see where they park it. Do I take it to the hand car wash, absolutely.
Do I enjoy hitting the rev limiter in second and third - the highlight of the day!!

Why worry and be protective of something that depreciate $5-10k /year?.
My '05 has depreciated $10K over the entire 4 1/2 years I've owned it, and is definitely not dropping $5K/yr at this point, so maybe that accounts for part of why I don't share your attitude entirely I'm not obsessive about it, it is just a car, but OTOH I do take pride in whatever I own and try not to put it in harm's way if I can help it. I do park in the spots next to the shrubs, pull in as close as I can get, to leave as much room between me and the next car as possible.

My wife can drive a stick, she's a good driver with a perfect record, and if tshe had to drive my car in an emergency I wouldn't object. But she's not into driving as a recreational activity, so for her the comfort of her Merc makes it much more desirable to drive than my Pcar. And I gave her that Merc 4 1/2 years ago when I got the Pcar, it was immaculate inside and out despite being 6 years old at the time. Now its dinged in several places, the seat is ripped, and inside it looks like a dumpster. Literally can't find a square inch of seat or carpet that isn't covered with trash, the door pockets are stuffed to overflowing, and I can't lower the seat without hearing things go crunch. And don't even want to talk about the trunk.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 PM
sixgun95
Instructor

She can drive it whenever she wants, but chooses not to. She does seem to have fun driving it when she is my designated driver after a night of tossing several back.

Quick Reply: Does your spouse/significant other drive your p-car?