Sponsored by:

Water in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water in the trunk

I've noticed that my front trunk hasn't been completely dry. My car was at the dealer the other day, and I had them check it out. Supposedly they cleaned out the drains and checked the rubber gaskets, and found everything to be OK. Although I'm not sure exactly where the drains are, but the rubber looks OK to me too.

We just had a couple of days of heavy rains, and it looks like whatever they did, didn't do the job. See photos below.

Is it possible that they missed some drains? Other than the drains and the rubber, is there anything else to look for?

Old 11-29-2013, 11:23 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Happens with me when I wash the car but not too much when driving in the rain. I guess if the car is parked outside in the rain, it's almost like the car is being hosed down. When I wash the car, I put a towel over the battery area just as a precaution but I always have to wipe down around the rubber piping in the frunk.

PS: The pic links are broken.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:22 PM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Happens with me when I wash the car but not too much when driving in the rain. I guess if the car is parked outside in the rain, it's almost like the car is being hosed down. When I wash the car, I put a towel over the battery area just as a precaution but I always have to wipe down around the rubber piping in the frunk.

PS: The pic links are broken.
I'm pretty sure this is not "normal", as a consistently wet or even damp trunk will eventually lead to rust. I would have it checked out if I were you. The trunk should be bone dry, even after a car wash or heavy rain....I would think.

The pic links seem to be working for me. Is anyone else having trouble seeing the photos?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Mine has never had a drop get through the seals. Mine is outside often and washed often and nothing like that has happened. Something is wrong.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Mine has never had a drop get through the seals. Mine is outside often and washed often and nothing like that has happened. Something is wrong.
+1... would you post a few pics of the seals and plastic molded pieces surrounding the area within your interior frunk. We can compare it to what we have JIC something is missing and/or installed incorrectly.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:39 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
My experience exactly!! Something's not right!

Tom
Old 11-29-2013, 06:59 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damnit...now I'm concerned about the seals in my frunk too
Old 12-01-2013, 02:08 PM
fastm3
Racer

Thanks USMC. Here are are a few photos of the area. To my untrained eye everything looks OK, at least on the surface, but obviously water is getting in somehow....

Let me know if you need more detailed photos of a particular area.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

In your first picture, is the gasket on the passenger side top corner pressed completely down on the bodywork?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
In your first picture, is the gasket on the passenger side top corner pressed completely down on the bodywork?
I agree. Something doesnt look right at that corner.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are drains in the battery compartment that can become blocked with debris. Periodic cleaning is needed. Not quite sure where they are located. The trunk can become a fish tank. Don't ask how I know this.

There are also drains in the rear on the cabrios that can get blocked and retain leakage into the rear of the car. Neither of these issues are very well published. There are threads on this forum that address them.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 PM
fastm3
Racer

@ Fahrer - Man, you've got good eyes! After checking it out, I noticed it was slightly out, so I pressed it all the way in. I would say it's very unlikely that it would've been responsible for allowing that much water into the trunk, but I guess it's possible. We shall see. Thanks very much.

@ MichaelL - You're absolutely correct about the importance of cleaning the drains on a regular basis. In fact the previous owner had neglected to do that, and a few months after buying my car I found out the hard way. After a heavy rainstorm I found about an inch of water in the driver's side footwell, which fried a control unit under the driver's seat. The whole experience cost me close to $1500, because in addition to a new control unit, they had to take the seat and all the carpets out to let everything dry. I've since had all the drains cleaned, including the drains by the battery....or so they tell me. I'm going to have them double check that when I take my car back to the P dealer on Thursday.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Another entry point can be via the small gaskets that separate the trunk area from the headlight buckets. Make sure they are intact.

The trunk should normally be completely dry. Something is seriously wrong. To troubleshoot this issue you can always use silver duct tape in certain areas to discount them as contributors.

Has the vehicle ever been in a frontal accident (even ever so slight?)
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked for the frunk side carpeting for dampness? If leaking past the gaskets the water should be following the sides on its way to the floor. This may give a lead on the origin.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

The plastic molded pieces surrounding the area within your interior frunk looks OK. Is your car parked on level ground when this occurs. Would it be possible to get a pick of the underside of your frunk hood? Until we figure this out it might be good to use a car cover even in rainy weather to keep most of the water out.

Quick Reply: Water in the trunk