Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for weekend/track car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:15 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Suggestions for weekend/track car?

Hey all, new here. Wasn't sure where to ask this but since I'm considering the 997 C2S primarily I figured this might be a good subforum.

Anyway, I've been quite close to getting an E92 M3 thinking I could never consider a 911 because of practicality but I realized I only use the rear seats in a pinch a few times a year so it got me looking into some around the same price range (used ones around 50-60k).

The car I'm looking for is something that can be a weekend car as well as a track car (not a daily driver) in which it would see around a dozen or so track days per year. Basically I'm trying to find a moderately dependable car that can function quite well on the track with just basic mods like brake pads/fluid, wheels/tires, and perhaps a set of coilovers.

I see that some 2008-2010's are in my price range, but I was wondering if it's also worth it to consider older cars such as a 996 Turbo since they're older, fall into my price range. Would they be better suited for track use than the 997 C2S in terms of factory setup and reliability?

I value driving feel over outright lap times but it seems the M3 is tough to beat on paper despite being heavier and larger.

Thanks for any input in advance!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M3 is a fine ride and would be tons of fun on the track. It has 3 Series comfort and a huge trunk. It has lots of stuff, but it isn't a 911.

Also, I would rather have a 997S than a 996TT.

I'm no expert, this is just my two cents.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

Way too many Bimmers on the road, compared to 911s.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I owned an E36 M3 previously and the newer E92 M3 seemed an obvious choice initially... but not after I test drove a C2S. On paper the new M3 looks great but there are somethings which only a test drive will convey. GL and safe driving.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

If you go with a 997 I would go for an 09 or later. A 997.2 C2S with mild suspension mods will hold its own with a 996 tt on track unless it is a hp track with long straights.

With the M3 you can most likely get a set of track wheels in the car for weekends, a big plus to me. Much like the 997 a few tweaks and you have a great track car. A friend just picked one up and I hope to get a ride at Mid-Ohio this weekend.

Either way try to control your grin.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

I would look at a factory Ford Mustang race car. You can buy a used one for 50-60k. Totally set up and if you lunch motor you can buy a new crate motor for 3k. Beats the hell out of 30k+. You will have loads of fun and be safe doing it with a full roll cage.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I would look at a factory Ford Mustang race car. You can buy a used one for 50-60k. Totally set up and if you lunch motor you can buy a new crate motor for 3k. Beats the hell out of 30k+. You will have loads of fun and be safe doing it with a full roll cage.
A lot to be said about this! After attending the Grand Am race at Kansas this year, I was impressed by ALL the cars! It was a trip seeing Mustangs and Camaros and gulp....CIVIC's...holding their own against the exotics. Some fantastic drivers!

It sounds like maybe you haven't driven a 911 yet? Seek out as many rides and test drives as you can. If you like the idea of driving a go kart on the street, look no further. I am NOT a "driver" yet. But I have driven a lot of different cars. Just coming off my first weekend as a 2009 C2S owner. There is just nothing like a 911...you either get it or you don't.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Thanks for the replies! I'd love to get a dedicated track car like a spec miata or something but unfortunately I don't have the space to keep a track car lying around (nor do I have a space for a truck and trailer to transport it haha...)

How "track-ready" is a 997.2C2S? Will the stock oil/water cooling be enough or are upgraded oil coolers/radiators popular track mods? I've been reading about the IMS failure but it seems that affected 996's and 997.1's more? Surprisingly, the E92 M3 is BMW's most reliable car from what I've read - the engine is quite bulletproof and the DCT was really over-engineered and doesn't overheat like the stock Evo DCT. Does the PDK have any overheating problems on track?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

most .2 'S' cars do not seem to need much in engine department for track. 3rd radiator is a must, just do it right after you get the car.

drive it a bit after you get good alignment done on stock setup to get used to it, then you can replace front LCAs with RSS Tarmac or 997 GT3 LCAs, put on rear toe links, etc. all usual things - searchthe forum for advices.

If you look for a mixed road/track weekend car - Porsche is still one of the best options. Lotus would be a bit better for track I think but less convenient for street. M3 in stock form as track car is not that great. New vette can be probably also not bad at $57K for stock car, so, count up your money and decide.

If you want a dedicated track car it is a different topic, there you could go with inexpensive E36/E46 based build with BMW and have a lot of fun for much less money than a p-car based racer would cost, but if you look for a street/track vehicle then it is a different story, it is where 997.x cars are really great. And it is a right decision to go with 997.2 - 'S' car of GTS car if you will be able to find one. Also, buy one with 5 lugs, do not do get centerlocks.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Whatever you car it will be a driver for weekend AND an occasional track car. If you think you are going racing, wheel to wheel bumping, then look at an used american car. They are a lot cheaper to repair. You can't beat a Carrera for weekend drive and occasional tracking.
Mind you, the M3 with snows would be a better family skiing car.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 205 Posts

I do three to four DE a year and my 06 c2s is a weekend fun car and occasional family car. We took a 800 mile road trip this summer up the coast with myself, the wife, and two kids in the back. It was "cozy" buy fun.

I would try and get. 997.2 if you can. Although unthinking he 997.1 is a very robust car and much of the hype about ims failures has been exaggerated, it's still in the back of my mind.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Thanks again for the replies. I won't be doing any wheel-to-wheel racing, just DE's and lapping days, maybe a few time attacks for fun. Also won't be using it for ski trips but I may drive it in winter from time to time (with proper snow tires).

Anyway, I've been looking into the 997.2 more and it seems that an LSD is optional? It's kind of a shock to me that a car of this performance class doesn't have one to begin with but I read some posts saying that the LSD induces more understeer on turn-in and that the factory LSD wasn't very good? Should I be looking for a car with the LSD or no?

Also, I don't want to turn this into a manual vs. PDK debate but how durable is the PDK unit in terms of overheating and maintenance? I'm leaning towards a manual but I was just curious anyway.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Thanks again for the replies. I won't be doing any wheel-to-wheel racing, just DE's and lapping days, maybe a few time attacks for fun. Also won't be using it for ski trips but I may drive it in winter from time to time (with proper snow tires).

Anyway, I've been looking into the 997.2 more and it seems that an LSD is optional? It's kind of a shock to me that a car of this performance class doesn't have one to begin with but I read some posts saying that the LSD induces more understeer on turn-in and that the factory LSD wasn't very good? Should I be looking for a car with the LSD or no?

Also, I don't want to turn this into a manual vs. PDK debate but how durable is the PDK unit in terms of overheating and maintenance? I'm leaning towards a manual but I was just curious anyway.
- LSD was available on 997.2, but it basically wears so fast that after some miles it is open like not having it. It makes little difference though if you know how to drive the car
- Manual is lighter, and the transmission, clutch can be serviced. PDK is heavier but obviously faster shifting and cannot be serviced
- 997.1 and .2 performance on the track is very minimal, specially if you modded the alignment to GT3 spec
- For 997.1, go 2007+
- Either gens, get "S" version, as you need the better brakes and at least in .1 is has better oil distribution for track days in the "S" model
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my 09 C2S PDK and SPASM last December for $59k (at the higher end of your desired price range). It came with an AWE / Sharkwerks bypass exhaust and it makes for an excellent road / track car. I do 24+/- HPDE days a year. I instruct as well so I get to ride in lots of cars. Prior to that I ran a highly modified 03 996 C2. I'm 4 - 5 seconds quicker around Sebring in the basically stock 997. Some of that is attributable to the PDK of course and a .1 997S would also be quicker than the 996. Having driven a friend's .1S, I can say the DFI engine, suspension, brake and cooling systems of the 09 and later models make for much improved driving experience both on the road and the track. You can't go wrong with either one but if you can find a .2S that's within your budget, I highly recommend it. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for weekend/track car?